Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

SPEEDFIGHT 70CC... Dynoing???

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 01:38 - 22 Aug 2004    Post subject: SPEEDFIGHT 70CC... Dynoing??? [PLEASE READ!] Reply with quote

Tonight i raced 2 gillera runner 125s and a cagiva 70cc and i can thrash the runners, but the cagiva can brush past me at about 70mph, with still another gear to go! how can i improve the top end of my scooter, but not make my bottom end totally crap??? pls help me cos i hate loosing races. Razz

Last edited by binge on 02:24 - 25 Aug 2004; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 01:41 - 22 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these should do the trick:

https://www.xtremepowersports.com/GSX1300K4A.jpg

HTH Mr. Green

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 02:37 - 22 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!!! yea, id love 1 of them, my dad wants 1 too. jus cant afford 1 at the moment, and i dont think id be able to insure 1 any ways.

Do the rollers on scooter change the top end, or just the pick up?

also, ive got a malossi delta clutch in my garage, but it needs sortin out cos it bites on too sharp, does anybody kno why this is?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 02:44 - 22 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i kno i sound like a lil scooter boi, lol. but i rele aint. i hang around with dudes, not chaveys. but i do have a scooter, and i do drag race it along a road called "laker road". but the road is about 100m too long, if it was that bit shorter id win all the time, but in the last sort of 100m, the bigger bikes get their top end up to about 70 - 80, and mines already at 70 maxed out, so they brush past me at the last minuite! so in angry. lol... so all i need is an exrta 5 mph top end, but without shiting up my bottom end. sombody must kno about tuning up scooters

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:38 - 22 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

What set up are you currently running on your scoot? Would help me get an idea of what needs doing.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ts50x0
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:49 - 22 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wondering coz it can make a big difference. what racing exhaust have you got coz i know a site that dus them specially for the 70cc big bore kit and if your running one for the standard 50cc then the this will improve it a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 22 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about getting malossi carbs for the bike and getting a race CDI? Not to sound stupid or anything, but have you tried Ste's "powerbands" off ebay Razz ?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:12 - 22 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who races on the road needs their head examined!

My advice, if you want more speed, then buy a bigger bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 12:43 - 22 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look winning a race on a scooter doesn't look cool.

Even riding one doesn't look cool, I should know.

You want to race? get a bigger bike and do some trackdays. It's legal too. Wink
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 22 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malossi don't make Carbs, there just Dell'Orto ones in Malossi packets. A Malossi CDI is one of the last mods you would do to your scoot as it wouldn't benefit a mildly tuned bike.
Somerset: Scooters can be fast around a track or up a drag strip, get yourself to an X-Race or BSSO meet and you will see.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 19:27 - 22 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it's a scooter, I have one they are dead ugly!!! Razz
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 22 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Race rep scooters look well - speedfights and gsxr colours.

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 22 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about race rep colours, any of you guys seen the 04 gilera runners done up to look like their 125 gp bikes... not badi must admit... best Runner i've seen was a 125VX or Sp, can't remember in the Rizla Suzuki livery in pastel blue. Err... mate, my advice is wait till you're 17 and get yourself an RS, NSR, Mito, CBR??? or anything of that like. It works out cheaper than maxing out your then frail and abused speedfight. But if you're committed to making your mini machine go faster, by all means, nothing is stopping you.

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 22 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tart it up a bit then Somerset! Mr. Green

Dave

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 00:54 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: my setup Reply with quote

right, my current set up is

Malossi MHR 70 kit

21mm Malossi Carb

K&N air filter

Big Bore malossi reed block,with carbon reeds

70cc technigas pipe (Designed for the 70cc)

Malossi Delta Clutch(adjustable)

Malossi gearing

Polini speed control variator

But i put a standard clutch on cos the Delta clutch was shit and my scooter had to get to like 8k rpm before the clutch ingaged so it was shit up hill...

i like some of the thaughts, but alot of ppl like my scooter down my way, i dnt have silly neons on it, and i dnt go about in a shirt. i wear proper jacket etc. and racin them is cool, u say buy a bigger bike. wel im only 16...

And wat excatly dose "stes powerband" do??????

bikedudextrm
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:04 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

70mph is a bit far fetched, it will be more like just over 60mph at most on a long straight. Trust me i had a speedfight 2 LC that i tuned up ages ago, and they are pointless for tuning. Just wait until you can get a 125cc geared bike, they are worlds apart. That's if you're not 17 already.

https://www.bikepics.com/members/bikedudextrm/

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 01:11 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah, i dnt wana sound like a kid whos like "Yeh man, i can get 70 outa my scooter" but honestly i can. I drove it home from stevenage to chatham in kent, (80 miles) with my dad on his CBR, and he was clocking me all the way, and he sed i had an average speed of around 70mph.

if my scoot did 60, id say my Scooter can do 60, but it dus 70. i can beat a gillera runner 125 for gods sake. lol!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:33 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to go faster get a bike designed to fast, as 50cc bikes or peds aren't. Best way to make it go fast is to ride it off a cliff (the bigger the cliff the faster it'll go) or push it out the back of a plane. Razz Thumbs Up

They're not designed or intended to go fast and you're going to run them into the ground if you use them the exact opposite of what they're designed and made for. Run it at full revs at 70mph (I believe you, millions wouldn't) for an hour will make it blow up very very quickly and will need a rebuild which will cost a fair amount of money.

If you want to tune a bike at least get a bike which takes well to being tuned. Thumbs Up

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 01:40 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol. wel im only 16. hehe. but it really pisses off the runner 125 riders that they can be beaten by a 70cc. hehe. and yea, i kno it will eventually blow up, but the scooters who i ride with are slower than mine, so i only have to cruse at half revs to keep up, lol. lucky me. and yea, it does anoy me wen ppl say "i doubt it wil do 70" wen it cleary can, and does! and to be quite honnest, i dnt rlly wana bigger bike ryt now. Smile ive got a love for scooters. Razz

i mite get sumin like a jetfoce compressor 125 next year. sayin that, a DT125R wud do fine. Very Happy

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:36 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy a jet force compressor as they are overpriced and I doubt they will ever go into production at the rate things are going.

As for your bike..... If you want all out speed and power I would put an MHR speed cylinder and I would get a pipe like a Yasuni C20 as I don't rate Technigas pipes much. The malossi gearing is fine, as is the Polini variator. You could run a bigger carb, but you would lose a bit of bottom end speed for a top end and power gain. Porting the cylinder would be worth doing and maybe even grind out the casing to fit an even bigger reed block. There is plenty of power to be had out of scooters, it all depends on how much cash you want to spend!

The best first mod, would be to have it set up on a dyno as you will gain a bit of power and get the bike running much better from having it set up right. Where abouts in the country are you so I can suggest a decent scooter tuners.

Dave

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 14:20 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that a rolling road?

and im in kent at the moment... In the medway towns...

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 16:37 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, jus remembered, i changed my setup cos it was dodgy...
now i've got...

malossi mhr rep 70 kit - alloy, nicast bore

21mm Malossi Carb

K&N filter

Big Bore malossi reed block,with carbon reeds

70cc technigas pipe (designed for a 70cc)

Standard speedfight clutch with malossi race springs

Malossi gearing

Malossi speed control variator

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the people I know in the London area use Taffspeed in Newport, which is a bit of a trek, but well worth it as they are one of the best tuners in the country.

This is one of my mates scooters after some serious tweaking from taffspeed. It will run a standing quarter in 13.60 @ 94mph

https://www.italjetdragster.net/albums/userpics/10005/dazzadyno.jpg

As well as dynoing I would get a race cylinder and a decent pipe as the first mods.

Dave

https://www.taffspeed.co.uk/

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 23:27 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

isnt a MHR rep a race cylinder?

And when u say "tweaking", is that tuning the carb?

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MHR rep is not a proper race cylinder, its doesn't put out anywhere near as much power as the proper MHR ones. The rep ones are only cheap at about 120 squid where as the proper MHR ones are about 300 squid. Your bike is probably running about 7hp at the mo, however if you had the cash you could get it up to nearer 19hp at the wheel. I am going to build myself a 50cc sprinter next year and am aiming for about the 20hp mark.

That graph was a result of a full day of dynoing, changing the jetting and rollers and a bit of top secret taffspeed magic. Very Happy

Dave
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 242 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2