Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I think ive been booked in at EDIT: Bedford autodrome

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 25 May 2016    Post subject: I think ive been booked in at EDIT: Bedford autodrome Reply with quote

Right, although she has been rather secretive about what she's got me for my 28th birthday I've figured out it EDIT: IS a track day at Bedford autodrome.

She's heavily hinted it's a track day and the date it is on it is pretty much the only option!

It'll be my first track day (in 11 years of riding Sad ) so just a couple of questions;

Noise limits: I am just going to assume my Micron GP exhaust will not meet noise limit (stamped "not for road use" seems comical that it wouldn't meet track use either Laughing ) although I can't find a specific figure. I'm pretty sure I've got a baffle for it - I wont need to worry with that will I?

Tyres: I've got a fairly recent set of 2CT's on the bike. Never had a problem with them on the road. Will they cope OK on track? What sort of PSI should I be running? I think im running either 32 or 34 front and back on the road.

The track: I've never been to bedford, what's it like?
|| Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk

Last edited by Groove on 09:15 - 31 May 2016; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:44 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exhaust should be fine, it's just a slip-on. Take the baffle just in case though.

Unless you've got a full straight through system its unlikely you'd not meet the noise requirements.

Tyres will be fine, especially for your 1st outing. I ran BT016s for my 1st 2 or 3 trackdays Smile

General rule of thumb is 33 ish front and back but getting more picky it all depends on hot hot a day it is, how hard you're pushing it to heat the tyres etc.. Some say use standard for the 1st session or two then drop them as needs be. Personally, I'd let about 4 psi out of both (from standard) and see how you go. Best thing to do is to measure them straight after a session.. will give you an idea of what pressure you're running hot; but as it's your 1st trackday, I'd say, just drop them a bit and see how they feel once warm.

Not been on that one personally so can't say how it is, but it looks longer than mallory and I can hit 6th there so I'm sure you'll have plenty of opportunity to stretch your bike's legs.

If it is a trackday, then you've got a keeper there matey... enjoy!!

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:39 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can be heard miles away. Read somewhere 107db.

She's not a keeper, I dumped her 3 months ago. She's just trying to worm her way back in.
|| Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 26 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

For tyre pressures, check the manufactorer website. 32 will be high, I run 22psi on the rear when on track on my Dunlops. You can always ask the tyre guy at the track in the morning and adjust accordingly if you can't find anything on the web.

And 107db Laughing Laughing Laughing That's loud, definately take a baffle weith you in case you're over the limit on the day, they might be lenient, but always have a backup.

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 31 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out it's at Bedford. A little closer to home and what looks like a much more interesting track!

Been watching lots of track day videos. Excited now!

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:46 - 31 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she REALLY loved you she would have booked you for this, at Bedford Autodrome:

https://www.palmersport.com/

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 31 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
If she REALLY loved you she would have booked you for this, at Bedford Autodrome:

This is interesting. She mentioned today she's booked me in for something on the Sunday too. Something that follows on from the track day.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:04 - 31 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groove wrote:
Pete. wrote:

This is interesting. She mentioned today she's booked me in for something on the Sunday too. Something that follows on from the track day.

Keep your fingers crossed then because it's the best day out you'll ever have. Caterhams, Atoms, Formula 3000's.

It's about £900 for the day though.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:18 - 01 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

It's about £900 for the day though.

Yeah I noticed that so we can rule that out.

I bet it's a spa day or something Laughing

whitedevil
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 01 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bedford is very strict with noise limits, definitely take the baffle, better yet take standard exhaust if you have it. I usually go with 30F 30R cold on road tyres and adjust after first session.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 01 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bedford noise limit is 101dB static, 87 drive by. Depending on how local you are, they have a trackday this Saturday, so if you can get the bike down at least you can get it tested beforehand (unless that is your trackday in which case take your OE can).

Good track, very flat, heaps of run off, fast bike straight. Watch out for the bump on the exit of West 6 ( don't ask me how I know).

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 01 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
Bedford noise limit is 101dB static, 87 drive by. Depending on how local you are, they have a trackday this Saturday, so if you can get the bike down at least you can get it tested beforehand (unless that is your trackday in which case take your OE can).

Good track, very flat, heaps of run off, fast bike straight. Watch out for the bump on the exit of West 6 ( don't ask me how I know).

I stuck the baffle in this evening but it doesn't do much. It reduces the outlet by about 10mm.

I put the standard exhaust back on but then realised the clamp bolt has seized and attempting to loosing it only bends the clamp out of shape. I'll try to pick up one tomorrow. It will be going standard though just incase.

I've been watching videos, seems quite a long, fast track. Just hoping for a dry day but metcheck is somewhat undecided.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:16 - 04 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groove wrote:

I stuck the baffle in this evening but it doesn't do much. It reduces the outlet by about 10mm.

I put the standard exhaust back on but then realised the clamp bolt has seized and attempting to loosing it only bends the clamp out of shape. I'll try to pick up one tomorrow. It will be going standard though just incase.

I've been watching videos, seems quite a long, fast track. Just hoping for a dry day but metcheck is somewhat undecided.

Well I popped down earlier to get the R1 noise tested before booking up another day. 91dB. (decat, titanium race Akrapovics) Laughing .

Bumped into Chris Walker on the way out and had a quick chat, hope it clears and dries out for you today if you're up there. Thumbs Up

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 04 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was only one or two that failed noise and a chap that turned up in textiles.. Annoyingly there's another gsxr with a micron on it Laughing

I seem to be one of the top 3 fastest in novice. Guy on a fazer 6 going round the outside of everyone.

Had a slight moment where I got too hard/early on the power in 2nd chasing a blade near the paddocks but great day so far!

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:14 - 04 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groove wrote:
There was only one or two that failed noise and a chap that turned up in textiles..

Did they let him out? I popped down in mine to get it tested, I would have said hello if I knew you were there!

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 04 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
Groove wrote:
There was only one or two that failed noise and a chap that turned up in textiles..

Did they let him out? I popped down in mine to get it tested, I would have said hello if I knew you were there!

Textile chap got turned away. Not sure if the noise offenders managed to get on track though.

It was a sea of gsxrs so might have been hard to pin point me!

Looking forward to hopefully seeing some footage on YouTube and the pictures. My positioning on left handers must be awful as that knee just wouldn't go down.

https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh163/adam673673/Mobile%20Uploads/20160604_162646_zpsbuvwkbxl.jpg

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:26 - 04 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a "road bike day" there were a lot of pretty trick bikes coming out of vans I thought. Same a yellow speedblock 2015 R1 in one of the garages that looked nice too.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 06 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there...
On the CBR600 F3 (looks like a shed)

Pitched up with a yoshi (tested it a few nights before and was 99 in a hanger), on the day it rung 110 before even reaching 7,000rpm.

db killer would not fit so had to go 40 mins home and back to fit the stock exhaust after brief.

Not to bad, enjoyed the ride each way I guess and only missed 2 runs. Lesson learnt though... a year + old db meter wont cut it. They send theirs off for re calibration 2x a year!

Down side, bike was jetted for the straight through yoshi and would barely pull through 7,000 rpm on the stoke exhaust... Need to sort that Sad

Not the end of the world though, most bikes were modern and or liters so I was left for dead on most straights Laughing

Me and a friend are actually planning to do another in the near future, are you far?

Debating merits of keeping the 600 and spending pennies on track days and worry about a bigger bike when I can handle the corners and actually ride properly (my mate was on a gixxer 750 and was blasting past people on the straights only to be over taken on all the corners... did not enjoy apparently).

Very good afternoon.

[img=https://www.msvtphotography.com/bike_trackdays_ba.html]Photos[/img] are still not up yet though...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 06 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:
I was there...
On the CBR600 F3 (looks like a shed)

Pitched up with a yoshi (tested it a few nights before and was 99 in a hanger), on the day it rung 110 before even reaching 7,000rpm.

db killer would not fit so had to go 40 mins home and back to fit the stock exhaust after brief.

Not to bad, enjoyed the ride each way I guess and only missed 2 runs. Lesson learnt though... a year + old db meter wont cut it. They send theirs off for re calibration 2x a year!

Down side, bike was jetted for the straight through yoshi and would barely pull through 7,000 rpm on the stoke exhaust... Need to sort that Sad

Not the end of the world though, most bikes were modern and or liters so I was left for dead on most straights Laughing

Me and a friend are actually planning to do another in the near future, are you far?

Debating merits of keeping the 600 and spending pennies on track days and worry about a bigger bike when I can handle the corners and actually ride properly (my mate was on a gixxer 750 and was blasting past people on the straights only to be over taken on all the corners... did not enjoy apparently).

Very good afternoon.

[img=https://www.msvtphotography.com/bike_trackdays_ba.html]Photos[/img] are still not up yet though...

Which group was you in? I think I might have overheard you saying to one of the chaps about going to change your exhaust.

Bedford is about 100 miles for me. I'd prefer to have a trailer for that distance.

Snetterton is the closest and I've got my eye on a couple of track evenings at the end of june/beginning of July.

£39 for 4 sessions seems like a good deal! I did 6 at Bedford as I skipped the last one to get to a dinner reservation in Newmarket.

I'm sure I passed a blue gsxr 750 in the novice group a few times, can't recall a cbr though...

Now I'm toying with the idea of track fairings or waiting till winter and trying to find a cheap b1h...

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 06 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening at snetterton next month is defiantly on the cards, just have to figure out the half day off work to get down there...
Value for money its cheap track time!

The bike could do with an overhaul though, valve clearances, maybe new clutch (has a new noise Sad), carb balance, actually look at the suspension, yoshi will need rebuilding to get a DB killer in there etc.

It was a real eye opener getting nailed on almost every single straight but it was my first time so I was coming out to low in the rev range, not revving hard enough most of the time and its a 20 year old 600 vs many liter bikes haha.

It was all good. Laughing
I have a long way to go before I'll be even half decent but I'm looking forward to working on it and generally having a good time with a few good mates. Maybe think about picking up a bigger bike over winter (not that I was not soooooo tempted after seeing all the big and shiny down there!).
I can't push the old steelie anywhere near justifying something new...
Might spray it though... I have some paint and an R6 tail knocking around...

Peugeot gold? Thinking

Couldn't be much worse than it is at the moment Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 06 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

27th June, 4th and 12th July are the next evenings. Pm me if you get your bike sorted and I'll join you. I might aim for the one on the 4th.

Just need to decide about fairings...

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 08 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos are up. I need to sort my body positioning...

https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh163/adam673673/Mobile%20Uploads/PR_160604_MSVT_BA_3403_zps1behv3m6.jpg

https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh163/adam673673/Mobile%20Uploads/PR_160604_MSVT_BA_2534_zps2jha1qp4.jpg

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 09 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groove wrote:
£39 for 4 sessions seems like a good deal!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked That is cheap, what dates are you looking at? I might join you.

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 09 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bishbash II wrote:
Groove wrote:
£39 for 4 sessions seems like a good deal!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked That is cheap, what dates are you looking at? I might join you.

Not sure yet, there's one end of the month or a couple in July.

I accidently on purpose won a bike on ebay last night which will be my track toy.

I'm not booking anything till I'm back from Lake District next weekend though.

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:31 - 10 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, what did you get?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 314 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2