Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

So.... the "new" Top Gear

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

It is:-
Gash
73%
 73%  [ 155 ]
Not gash
26%
 26%  [ 56 ]
Total Votes : 211

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 06 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair point made by Arry, for people of a classic/autism preference.

The thing is I've never watched or needed to watch car programs to be entertained, for laughs, or for family viewing etc. I did enjoy the old TG towards the end, as it was 3 silly old bastards taking the piss out of themselves as much as each other really.

With bike programs however I want to be entertained and see irresponsible moronic adventure and mayhem. I used to love watching the fools from Fast Bike's magazine 15-20 years ago dicking around in France etc.

Id be very disappointed if a bike review show was about power sockets, heated clothing and hard luggage fitment options.

Id expect scraped pegs, exhausts, fried clutch, and utter carnage as a minimum. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:51 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave it a go last night. The films were alright, but the in studio stuff was just odd. None of the jokes worked, Harris looked like he's gonna punch LeBlanc for everything he said in his direction, and so on.

5/10, they need to work on their studio/live performance.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:01 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed it, and it's certainly better than the worst Grand Tour episodes, but it wasn't as good as the best Grand Tour episodes. I'd certainly continue to watch. Getting rid of Chris Evans solved most of the problems of the last series. Harris needs to be better at the live bits, and they need to get to know each other better to make the 'banter' work, but actually it's a solid effort.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:46 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
I gave it a go last night. The films were alright, but the in studio stuff was just odd. None of the jokes worked, Harris looked like he's gonna punch LeBlanc for everything he said in his direction, and so on.

There did seem to be real friction, I loved it Very Happy

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave it a go, thinking it would be awful. Ended up actually quite enjoying it.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:24 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
I gave it a go, thinking it would be awful. Ended up actually quite enjoying it.

Over on other forums, there's a mix between those thinking the same way as you, and those that were still moaning heavily about it - TBH I think once they've got it in their head they're not going to like it, surprise - they don't like it.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:53 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting the impression more people tuned in to hate on Chris Evans.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:07 - 08 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insightful. People don't watch Jeremy Kyle in order to sympathise with the bipedal vermin. And as with negative votes on YouTube, it's still views, and it all counts towards engagement.

Matt B wrote:

It was predominantly about cars. They've got the fundamentals right.

Sable
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 11 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda enjoyed it. Better than the Chris Evans series.

Moved at a better pace than some of the Grand Tour episodes too.

I reckon they will be alright when they relax a bit.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
the in studio stuff was just odd

Same again this week. The features outside are actually pretty good, the stuff in the studio with David Tennant was just odd, disjointed and unnecessary. Found myself drifting off and becoming bored with the staged banter.

ride_to_die
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:57 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with MattB. The banter between them seems forced...Rory is trying to hard.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:06 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I found the studio bit massively boring, and actually the whole episode was a bit Sleeping for me. Wasn't it only two segments(?), repeatedly pranging an Alfa and a blue Lamborghini Sick

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 13 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, I'm surprised that Matt Le Blanc seemed so.... wooden when taking his cues for the scripted jokes, apart from the slightly clunky in studio stuff, I liked it. Thumbs Up
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:15 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was less than ok.

I'm out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:27 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Bastard Terror wrote:
It was less than ok.

I'm out.

+1

As a fan, got rose coloured tints on usually, will generally look for the good somewhere in an episode. Struggled. Switched off during the studio stuff, cringed at the badly delivered scripted banter everywhere else and covered my ears at the shrieking from Harris. We managed to get rid of the wailing banshee Evans, why Mr Harris are you trying to follow his MO. Do you want a payoff too?

It was mostly an hour of tinnitus and cringing.

Harris seems to have gained in confidence (not a good thing) and Rory seems to have lost his.

.......ok, I'm not out. Will endure in the hope there is some good stuff to come. Will just make a point of watching a recording and skipping past the studio stuff.

Wave2k
G's Stalker

PostPosted: 17:16 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's basically now fifth gear with more budget and scripted jokes.

I enjoyed fifth gear in its own right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:25 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wave2k wrote:
It's basically now fifth gear with more budget and scripted jokes.

I enjoyed fifth gear in its own right.

It was enjoyable before they tried to copy the top gear format (lets spank a car round a track for no reason). After that it was just less likeable characters doing the same thing, who took themselves far too seriously.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get past Plato's and Needell's egos, it's not a bad show. The car comparison thing around a track by people that can actually really drive is interesting and informative too.

The other presenters covered alot of other motoring issues quite well but with their quirky ways.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:34 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
The car comparison thing around a track by people that can actually really drive is interesting and informative too.

As apposed to the Stig? Smile

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'driving lesson' with the celeb thing is a little irksome as (I have forgotten his name) tries to be angry yet witty.

I liked the supercars in all seasons video from Sunday. I might go and watch it again but skip through the fall argument as that was tedious. Blue cars though!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:53 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was so dull that I actually started paying attention to the car.

Scripting: cringeworthy.
Shouty one: too oik.
Token one: should have stuck to YouTube.
Colonial one: can't act, can't banter, what's the point of him?
Sofa chat: merciful allah, let it stop.

Ahm oot.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:29 - 14 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It was so dull that I actually started paying attention to the car.

Scripting: cringeworthy.
Shouty one: too oik.
Token one: should have stuck to YouTube.
Colonial one: can't act, can't banter, what's the point of him?
Sofa chat: merciful allah, let it stop.

Ahm oot.

Not watched any of his youtube stuff before, but he does seem to be a bit more sedate and serious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hTLk1rU_ZI I wish Top Gear was still like that, but then it wouldn't appeal to the audience who aren't interested in cars.

Edit: ooh he does bikes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXXWjAwCIhI

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:24 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recorded both shows........took a look at the first episode crap, wooden, just dire. Took a look at the second episode nice cars, would love to hang on in there but now format and presenters and guests grating.........can't stand that Rory, have cancelled all future recordings. Evil or Very Mad

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:23 - 15 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Harris is an absolute Legend. A proper car journalist, great on video and great when he's given free reign. When he's not having to be loud he is genuinely better than Hammond Clarkson or May on their own.

If you don't believe me, search for the video of him drifting a Mercedes on 4 space saver wheels. That is an amazing video.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 43 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 13 of 17