Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

nsr, revs sticking at 8k

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

paul
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 01:38 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: nsr, revs sticking at 8k Reply with quote

Hi

I have an 02 nsr 125 and wanted to derestrict it so I took the exhaust off and could not see a restrictor so I went for the other restrictor in the intake manifold, It was a white block, I took this out and the bike was revving much higher as expected but spluttered at 8000 revs in 3rd and sort of froze at 8000 revs in 4th and didn't want to rev any more, my mate said it needed upjetting but was too much hassle at the time so i just put the restrictor back in. When i rode it again it wasn't right and still gets stuck at about 8000 revs, the revs are fine before and after this and i'm finding i have to take the revs up to about 10000 revs before changing gear in order to avoid the problem and when it stops at 8000 i have to drop a gear and rev the bollox out of it so when i change up again it doesn't stick. This never happened when it was restricted before so i don't know what is going on.

I read a post that was put up a couple of days ago with someone experiencing the same problem but said it was something to do with cables put round the wrong way on the r/c valve or something so i don't think i have the same problem as i didn't touch the cables. Confused

So what should i do?
and where is the other restrictor?

I would really appreciate anyones help and thanks for your time on reading this

Cheers, Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:17 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: cdi Reply with quote

you probably have a restricted CDI . find an other one , and put a BR10 EIX sparkplug . also you are probably restricted on the RC valves . type this https://www.125ccsportsbikes.com/forums//index.php?s=46559d76d67360144976e5d96238ac20&showforum=10 you will look the topic i put on
if you are interessed mail me at asaniard@neuf.fr

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't touch the RC valve control cables either. It was done by one of the previous owners.

Try to check the RC valve is functioning correctly (some suggestions were posted on the thread about my bike about how to do this), and I'll get Zaphod to post a thread detailing how you can check if your bike is the same as mine was i.e. control cables the wrong way around.

The test that we did to show that it was the RC valve that was the problem, was to disconnect the cables from the RC servo and tape them in the "closed" position. The bike then ran fine, but the powerband was missing (as expected). Then we taped it into the open position, and at 7k rpm, the problem occurred again. Then we knew it must be the exhaust valve.

There is a picture of the control cables taped, and a photo looking into the exhaust port with valve open (i think), on the other thread.

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 15:54 - 23 Aug 2004    Post subject: Re: nsr, revs sticking at 8k Reply with quote

paul wrote:
I went for the other restrictor in the intake manifold, It was a white block, I took this out and the bike was revving much higher as expected but spluttered at 8000 revs in 3rd and sort of froze at 8000 revs in 4th

Was this a white triangle shaped block? If so, then you've taken out the reed block and you NEED that. So put it back in. The restrictor should just be a thin plate of metal with a hole in it. If it's not there then your bike is CDI restricted.

paul
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:06 - 01 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry I haven't replied, I have just got back off holiday

Ah rite Confused Yes it was a white triangle shaped block but I thought that was the restrictor because it looks as if it restricts the air flow, but anyway I did put this back in and the bike still has the same problem just not as bad.

and I thought only the import RR bikes had a CDI restriction in them??

I did have some problems with my spark plug a while ago, it had some petrol or whatever on it, could it just be the sparkplug?

and zen dog it was ok before we took out the "restrictor", then seemed to run lean so put it back in and there was still a problem.

sorry bout this being so long winded but bear with me please

Cheers, Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 01 Sep 2004    Post subject: valves Reply with quote

it could be the spakplug , but i will think about the valves , could you tell some more like mileage , which plug , which petrol & oil ?
are the rc valves on full opening at 7800 rpm (you will see that on your right) where the cables and pulley are .
i will give you some pictures later

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 01 Sep 2004    Post subject: pictures Reply with quote

do not be confuse beetween reed Valve (intake) and RC valves (exhaust)

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 01 Sep 2004    Post subject: pictures Reply with quote

here are the RC valves

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 01 Sep 2004    Post subject: pictures Reply with quote

here is the adjustment of RC valves

paul
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:13 - 02 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

rite, its done 4200 miles, think the plug is a br8 but the man i bought the bike off also gave me a br9 but i dont know a lot about these. I use just normal unleaded petrol and fully synthetic oil. i did use some low smoke oil last month though because they had no fully synthetic left but i dont no if that is the problem because as soon as i put the block back in the intake manifold it started to mess around. I think it could be the rc valve as you said alains because I may of knocked it when taking the airbox out and putting it back in. would this of affected it? Im not really that good on the mechanics side of things but i will check the rc valve tommorow.

Appreciate the help and input from everyone

Cheers, Paul

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:06 - 02 Sep 2004    Post subject: sparkplug Reply with quote

if you do not mind the price put on a BR 10 EIX , buy it from https://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/ , price £ 6.84 +VAT +shipping

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:08 - 02 Sep 2004    Post subject: erratum Reply with quote

i said BR10EIX but it is BR 9 EIX . for myself i put the 9 nov to apr and then i put the 10

paul
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:58 - 02 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

alrite then I will try the br 9 eix then and will see what happens, thanks a lot for your help

Cheers, Paul

theshmoo
Bottomless Pit

PostPosted: 23:29 - 03 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had same fault you may have put the read valve in up side down or the gasket is letting in air.i have a 02 nsr that had no restrictions on it it tops out at 85/90 with the revs at 8000 but bike will rev 2 red line in all other gears but not in 6th.i got a cdi from a british bike on ebay £40 waste of money bike won't start with it in it.

gsxrboy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:44 - 04 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no expert but it sounds to me like you haven't tightened the carb down straightly and there is a slight air leak, this would explain the loss of power and the need to get it revving high enough to change gear to miss the problem. make sure you also haven't fouled the choke cable as this will also alter the fuel mixture and cause a power loss. best thing to do is do exactly what you did before when taking it apart but pay more attention to how it logically goes back together, it does sound like a fueling problem to me.

Regards,

Alex

paul
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:32 - 04 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

the air leak seems to be the most possible problem. Thanks a lot for the help theshmoo and gsxrboy this helps bigtime, I will see what happens.

Cheers, Paul
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 238 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1