Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

E10 schedule: what beyond 2016

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

czakal
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:15 - 19 Jun 2016    Post subject: E10 schedule: what beyond 2016 Reply with quote

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/256215/gov-response-motor-fuel.pdf

So according to the latest timetable, the plan to introduce E10 fuel is delayed until after 2016 (and the end of the year is only 6 months away). As I'm buying a new bike and want to be prepared for potential future developments, do we know specifically what is planned for E10 after 2016 or are we going to keep muddling on a bit like we did for the last few years?
Relevant concern for me as I'm getting a budget commuter that might not have the best corrosion resistance against aggressive fuels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:26 - 19 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't exhaustive by any means, but the major European importers' bikes are listed here:

https://www.acem.eu/component/content/article/2-non-categorise/33-e10?Itemid=109

Kawasaki really left it to the last minute. I've studiously not been thinking about what it's doing to my Enfield.

Another reason to Brexit. Whistle

czakal
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:53 - 19 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the cheaper brands like Kymco, etc aren't on the list. Although from the looks of it, the oil/motor industry here isn't in a hurry to go E10 and the government seems ok to keep muddling along.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 20 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

would be a bit more worried if I had a plastic tank, 848 anyone?

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 20 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too right. Despite the apparent compatibility with E10, the first Ducati Streetfighter I had suffered with an expanding tank. It caused the tank to foul the top yoke, lock barrel and the coolant filler, and caused the tank to leak from the overflow. The second one had also expanded but not to the point of causing problems. And that was just with E5 fuel. E10 in the States has caused major problems for Ducati owners with plastic tank models. When faced with a class action, Ducati have replaced them inside and outside of Warranty. But their approach was/is to replace it with a slightly smaller tank of the same material, so when it grew it was less likely to foul other components. A comical bodge!

If Ethanol blended fuel were avoidable, it wouldn't be so much of a problem. But since it doesn't need to be labelled, you just don't know what you're putting in the tank, even if you choose high octane. For that reason, I always tried to leave the Ducati tank as close to empty as possible when I knew it would be sat for a few days or more.

I believe other manufacturers' bikes with plastic tanks are similarly affected (Triumph, Aprilia, etc). I don't think I would buy another bike with a plastic tank because of this problem, unless the deal was so good that I could afford to replace it in the event of problems, or even better, replace it with a steel / aluminium / carbon fibre tank (where such things are available). Then again, why would I want the potential headache?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:00 - 20 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
the first Ducati Streetfighter I had suffered with an expanding tank.

Pre 2009?

Hmm, the Nazi Tractor tank is plastic. I've not heard of any problems with them though, at least not with E10.

I'd blithely assumed that premium / high octane fuel wouldn't be E10, but it turns out that ethanol actually raises octane. At least until it absorbs water, then you're stuffed.

Fortunately both my current engines are undertuned and will run on just about anything with a bit of bang in it.

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 20 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, both were 2011 model year.

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 20 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Hmm, the Nazi Tractor tank is plastic. I've not heard of any problems with them though, at least not with E10.

I believe the problem is specifically with tanks manufactured by Acerbis. BMW may not use the same supplier or material, so they might be less water absorbant.

Last edited by Alex A on 16:04 - 20 Jun 2016; edited 1 time in total

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:46 - 20 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
No, both were 2011 model year.

Ducati are liars, liars, pants on fire then? Poor show. Sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 310 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1