Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Constant daily w-o-o-d-f-u-r-n-a-t-u-r-e spam

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Steve McQueen This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:11 - 10 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rate the posts as spam, when enough people do it they get banned and the posts removed. Mods aren't required for this.

inb4 Rogerborg and band all IPs outside Scotland..

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 08:16 - 10 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

n00b

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 10 Jun 2016    Post subject: Re: Constant daily w-o-o-d-f-u-r-n-a-t-u-r-e spam Reply with quote

Steve McQueen wrote:
https://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/556/791/71a.png

Most forums have Spam detector software or account registration denial in place if Spam detected. Proxy servers make an IP ban redundant. However' part time Admins/Mods too busy either laying in bed or at place of paid work rather than logging in & nuking it within at least a few hrs Thumbs Down Rant over.
What you need is a nice new dining table to take your mind of all the spam.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:51 - 10 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Rate the posts as spam, when enough people do it they get banned and the posts removed.

Has never happened. Crying or Very sad

ScaredyCat wrote:
inb4 Rogerborg and band all IPs outside Scotland..

Now you're talking sense. This one time, at banned camp, I totes IP blocked Russia, China and India, and saved a forum's life.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:22 - 10 Jun 2016    Post subject: Re: Constant daily w-o-o-d-f-u-r-n-a-t-u-r-e spam Reply with quote

Steve McQueen wrote:

Most forums have Spam detector software or account registration denial in place if Spam detected. Proxy servers make an IP ban redundant. However' part time Admins/Mods too busy either laying in bed or at place of paid work rather than logging in & nuking it within at least a few hrs Thumbs Down Rant over.

There are various things in place to prevent spammers registering easily. There are web services to check registrations on for the IP address (which means that any proxy server IP address will rapidly land up being recognised for spam).

Trouble is that there are fiddles around this.

The mods do try and nuke it quickly. But the pain is logging on just to nuke a spammer means it screws up any record of which threads I have read, hence I only do it when I have a chance to read unread threads.

Mark them as spam and a new user will rapidly get banned and the posts hidden. Mods can nuke the account at our convenience then

All the best

Katy

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:45 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if op is the one responsible for all the recent wooden furniture spam?

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:03 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

phpbb is easy to secure.

Korn is the shittest site admin, nothing gets changed as he doesn't want to change something that needs changing in the future.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 08:45 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, how would you secure the forum from spammers?

Roger is the shittest admin.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best ways are to use a 4 step process.

1, Captcha on signup
2, Admin activation
3, Cooldown period for new members before they can post anywhere but the new members section.
4, install an anti spam mod.

This would stop bots and give the human spammers a hard time, as they would need unique email addresses and IP addresses to sign up after each ban.

Our furniture spammer would take me all of 10 mins to blacklist for life.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:07 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

1. Pretty much worthless.
2. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
3. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
4. From what Katy says, there are already such things.

Wink

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. there are plenty of newer types of captcha that bots just cannot get around, look into it.
2. Admin activation is the single best way, but this does require an admin.
3. Works well on plenty of other forums, as you can control what is allowed there with the mod.
4. There is no anti spam mod, or if there is one, it's next to useless, there are excellent ones out there.

You can smile all you want, I have been an admin in very large and very secure forums over the last 20 years, and when I mean large, I mean ones with +100,000 vistors per day. They had no problems with spammers at all, because to beat them, you just need to be up to date with your methods.

phpbb is the simplest of all forums to secure, there really is no excuse.
Steve McQueen This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:23 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool story etc, which forums?

1 Captcha doesn't mean anything when humans are making the account.
2 & 3 are both just annoying to genuine users
4 eh?

Razz

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:25 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve McQueen wrote:
Something i forgot to add: usually the first 3 posts don't appear in threads until mod approval to curb Spam on half the other forums i joined.

That pisses people off.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:29 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Re: Constant daily w-o-o-d-f-u-r-n-a-t-u-r-e spam Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
Mark them as spam and a new user will rapidly get banned and the posts hidden.

I've yet to see a spammer get banned from user ratings alone. Not to say that it doesn't happen, just that it seems like a waste of ratings when I could be giving Informatives to...
Ste wrote:
Roger is the shittest admin.

Tru dat, he's never banned anyone. Folded arms

I'm assuming that this recent spamvalanche is coming from somewhere East of Suez?

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste, if you want to argue about it, that's fine, but I'm not arsed.

I'm not going to argue the toss about if something works, when other sites are doing perfectly well at it.

The question was asked and I answered.
You could just go and read up about it, also there are plenty of phpbb fanatics out there that would explain the finer points of spam protection, but I'm not one of them.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:41 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Threads 570 Posts 6,267 Members 787 Active Members 283
69768 Spammers Denied Registration"

Laughing

@Roger I assume that as well.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:07 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjay wrote:
1. there are plenty of newer types of captcha that bots just cannot get around, look into it.

Plenty of places in the world where someone cheap can be employed to register in person (easily bypassing the captcha), then the registered account can be passed to a spammer bot for future spamming. Captcha is pretty much worthless these days.

pjay wrote:
2. Admin activation is the single best way, but this does require an admin.

It requires an admin yes, and requires users who will put up with it. Good way to avoid getting new users.

pjay wrote:
3. Works well on plenty of other forums, as you can control what is allowed there with the mod.

Possible, again if your users are prepared to put up with it.

pjay wrote:
4. There is no anti spam mod, or if there is one, it's next to useless, there are excellent ones out there.

There is an anti spam mod. At least 1 (try registering through tor and see if you can get on in a reasonable number of tries). I suspect these could be improved (for example, when a spammer is banned then hammer all the IP addresses they used to register) but they are mostly effective.

Make a forum secure enough against spammers and no spammers will try as there is nobody on the forum worth spamming to Laughing

There are quite a lot of spammers not getting through. I suspect the ones who do manage to get through are probably about 1% of those who are trying. And I have seen spammers auto banned from ratings, just normally they get nuked by a mod before that happens, or shortly afterwards.

It also comes down to luck with forums. For example I have 3 forums, 2 of which get effectively zero spammers registering (not had any successfully get in for months). The 3rd gets loads, yet has the same anti spam methods and it lives on the same server.

All the best

Katy

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:52 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem to my mind is people keep replying to spam threads and bumping them to the top.

There is enough throughput on this forum that threads with no replies will quickly drop off the bottom of page 1 if left alone.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the fuck is furnature Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
What the fuck is furnature Laughing

andyscooter relaxing at home.

Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 293 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4