Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Constant daily w-o-o-d-f-u-r-n-a-t-u-r-e spam

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:36 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
What the fuck is furnature Laughing

1st result on Google is https://www.catfurnature.co.uk/

Mr. Green

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:19 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The biggest problem to my mind is people keep replying to spam threads and bumping them to the top.

If we just keep quiet, it'll all be over quicker?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:29 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disable registrations.

No more spammers and no more socks.

Thumbs Up

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Got to be kidding that's stuff is cardboard... 30 quid for a cardboard box? And you know damn well any cat will just go and sit in the dhl box it came in.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:07 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
nothing gets changed

https://www.bikechatforums.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=88010
Steve McQueen This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:04 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've been here a week and you're bitching about spam? If it's that much of a problem for you, use another forum.......

To be honest this forum isn't too bad for spam, and the little that does get through is easily ignored. Why worry about it.

Korn's the best kind of admin. I've been far too many forums go under when the admin gets on a power trip and starts banning people for silly reasons.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:18 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a serial forumist but BCF seems to have been good enough to keep me hooked for nearly 10 years. No idea what others offer, but even bike model specific ones have never kept me hooked.

There have definitely been changes (I quite liked the old 50 post pages for instance), but for the most part "If it ain't broke - don't try and fix it" seems to be applied, and that suits me just fine.

Just ignore the Spam. The threads are obviously spam by the title. Don't click. Don't get pissed off.

https://mediamadmeg.co.uk/image/cache/data/madmeg/FM1423-800x600.jpg

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:29 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
I have seen spammers auto banned from [user] ratings

https://www.bikechatforums.com/view_ratings.php?p=4312604

9 x Spam and 1 x Disagree and it's only at 2-red-and-a-bit-of-pink.

11 x Spam = jolly well very nearly 3 red.

Much like voting, it's really not worth any individual bothering, since only our overlords' views really count.

Vote BCFexit!
Steve McQueen This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:43 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What rating them does do is very quickly push them into red karma.

Once you're in red karma you have to post a minimum post length and eventually mandatory preview posts before submitting. As in, you have to click preview, THEN click submit to post your message, if it's long enough.

So what the karma system spam rating does very well is help keep a lid on prolific spamming. The wood furniture one-liners can usually get away with 2 or 3 posts at most before ther forum software bounces their posts for being too short.

The worst ones were the credit card number/email hacker posts because they were pretty verbose and could post 6-10 posts before the mandatory preview script kicked in.

EDIT: I personally don't think a karma ban kicking in sooner would be appropriate. There is a faction on this forum who would abuse it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:54 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve McQueen wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
usually get away with 2 or 3 posts at most before

Enough for members to curiously click on spammy or harmful virus links.

I wouldn't click on ANY links you see on here unless you're happy with who posted them and are sure where they are leading.

If you are in the habit of curiously clicking random hyperlinks you see on the internet, Click here to continue.

BCF is not a "safe" place on the internet, it's not Mumsnet. The content of many of the NSFW tagged threads should show you that. I wouldn't recommend clicking on those either.

I remove spam if it's a) annoying. b) Totally unrelated to motorcycles and c) If people don't seem to be having too much fun with it.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 11:38 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Much like voting, it's really not worth any individual bothering, since only our overlords' views really count.

Not really. If you don't down vote the spammers then you are not helping the situation. Spam ratings make it easy for the mods to spot the spam threads and nuke them quicker.

It does take a fair few spam ratings to knobble a spammer. Don't think it would be appropriate for only a couple of ratings to ban a new user as it would be way too open to abuse.

All the best

Katy

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:19 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve McQueen wrote:

Even if clearly a Spam post? Laughing

Inappropriate spam ratings by users are the most common one mods have to revoke.

Historically, groups of users have ganged up on another user and rated all their posts as spam in an attempt to get them banned from the forum.

There are mechanisms to prevent this happening but they aren't infallible.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:28 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve McQueen wrote:

Even if clearly a Spam post? Laughing

How do you define 'clearly spam' in a way that can be automatically processed? Plenty of newbies pick spam ratings (or flame or abusive sometimes) for a post that mildly contradicts them; they think they are special enough that not being agreed with deserves the most severe rating possible.

All the best

Katy

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 12:29 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve McQueen wrote:
Why not just nuke the karma rating feature? Laughing i suspect CaNsA & GT200Fan79 will Thumbs Down bandwagon every chance they get.

Because it massively helps hide crap posts and spot spammers. And provides a mild reward for good behaviour.

All the best

Katy

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:38 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve McQueen wrote:
Why not just nuke the karma rating feature? Laughing i suspect CaNsA & GT200Fan79 will Thumbs Down bandwagon every chance they get.

Yeah. Join date 6th June this year. Lot of forum knowledge for such a recent member.

Checks IP.

Same dynamic range as the various Goblin King aliases.

Checks content. Likes to use animated .gifs.

Bans user.
Thanks a bunch This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:29 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically, yes, you are the user formerly known as goblin king. And probably various others.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:20 - 22 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's back

https://www.bikechatforums.com/search.php?search_author=The+Professional
The Professional This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 300 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Forum Feedback & Help All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4