Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

1997 Yamaha yzf600 Thundercat

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:40 - 10 Jun 2016    Post subject: 1997 Yamaha yzf600 Thundercat Reply with quote

i bought this bike the other week following the theft of my 1991 Honda CRM https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=306923&start=75

i wanted something more practical and also less desireble to theives than a twostroke supermoto

Anyway, onto the Yam. 23k miles, very tidy bodywork, and all original with exception of the black windscreen and blue footpegs.
https://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd404/SeanS91/My%20Motorbikes/DSC_2292_zpsnvmjyur3.jpg

however... it does have this nasty dent in the swingarm which i just know is gonna piss me off, at the moment its hidden by that HUGE silencer lol but i have plans to change it which'll make the dent more visible
https://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd404/SeanS91/My%20Motorbikes/DSC_2294_zpssgwdhbw5.jpg

Last edited by Sean.S on 17:39 - 07 Dec 2016; edited 1 time in total

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 10 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sean, was watching your last post, and gutted for you, but back in the seat eh, like the thunder cat , but a nasty bash there on the swingarm, are the wheels running true is my only worry for you Thumbs Up

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:06 - 10 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I was gutted, still am. To me that honda was irreplaceable but having another bike does help take my mind off it. In regards to the swingarm, the dent is just cosmetic, i rode it from wales to bristol and the bike rides perfectly. Its kinda hidden by the exhaust but the fact i know its there is bad enough for me. Im gonna be swapping out the swingarm for a new one when i can

Sean

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:12 - 10 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bold text makes it really easy to read

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 10 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blue footpegs are gopping.

But I like the Thundercat, I bought one as a first bike five years ago and can't actually bring myself to sell it and get something else!

Thumbs Up

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 10 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike Sean!

I always like the cat, nearly got one of the last brand new ones way back when they were just £4600 new! Shocked

I'm sure once you've checked your new bike out you'll get it looking extremely clean, and parts for them are plentiful as well compared to your previous bike I'd say.

I hope you get your insurance resolution from the Honda soon though and some closure on what happened to it and where it ended up etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:43 - 10 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers stevo, hopefully i have more luck with this one. The honda hasnt even been sighted, police have closed the case. Aviva are gonna contact me next week to decide the value of the bike.... Should be fun Rolling Eyes Luckily i have pictures of everything and £800 odd in invoices. Im not expecting to ever see the honda again or find out what happened to it, maybe im better off not knowing. Could of been shipped out to poland for all i know

Parts for the cat arent even a challenge to find, CRM were a ball ache even a mudguard took some searching for that bike. Ive bought a new swingarm for the yam already

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:42 - 10 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:
The blue footpegs are gopping.

But I like the Thundercat, I bought one as a first bike five years ago and can't actually bring myself to sell it and get something else!

Thumbs Up

Plan was to get them shotblasted back to silver, only the left peg wont unscrew. Ive kinda just got used to them now, i guess ive got a taste for tacky anodised stuff lol.... They wouldn't be my choice tbh but i think they're still an improvement on the original pegs, and they do match the calipers i suppose Razz

drbaig
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:25 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thundercat is quite tatty and every time I think I should improve it I comes down to not being worth the cost.

I have thought plenty about getting it a louder exhaust or getting the fairings painted but then common sense prevails because it is not worth it in the end to spend that kind of money on a workhorse.

So I just ride it and do general maintenance for mechanical sympathy. Cosmetically it is not very good but it does not bother me anymore either.

ackack
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:17 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a split second there I thought that was my old bike especially after seeing the swingarm picture (exhaust damaged mine when I had a low side) I was a bit worried as the bloke I sold it to had the bike written off when a car pulled out in front of him.
I really miss my old cat and I will buy another one day because in the 6 years I had it nothing went wrong at all.
Look after it and that thing will keep going.

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:21 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dent in the swingarm looks fairly common on these as far as i can tell.

I know you dont usually recoup all the money spent on upgrades when you come to sell but whether its worth it or not i guess depends on what you paid for the bike and how tidy of an example it is. I dont intend to spend a lot on mine because in fairness its fine the way it is, but for the price of the swingarm and the exhaust to be changed id say mines worth it

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean91 wrote:

I've never seen it. I've been a member and admin on a Thundercat forum for over a decade and have seen dozens of them (up to 30 in one place). I can see how it would happen, presumably the exhaust link pipe hitting the swing arm if dropped on the right, but the 'arm is a hefty steel unit so would take quite a knock to do that. Given the polished wheels and de-stickered fairing I assume yours has been down the road?

I've had mine 14 years and it has had one fault... a faulty spark plug cap. The headers didn't rot and came off the head with ease. The calipers aren't seized and second gear isn't knackered. It's almost like the rumours on the Internet aren't true... Thinking

ackack
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:35 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean91 wrote:

I know you dont usually recoup all the money spent on upgrades when you come to sell but whether its worth it or not i guess depends on what you paid for the bike and how tidy of an example it is. I dont intend to spend a lot on mine because in fairness its fine the way it is, but for the price of the swingarm and the exhaust to be changed id say mines worth it
I paid £1300 for mine in 2009 and I sold it for £1500 last year. Over the years I just added stuff to make it better than standard like Hel brake lines, progressive front springs and had the rear shock rebuilt and changed the gearing to make it less revvy on motorways. Was a brilliant bike and I regret selling it.

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:25 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd. i looked at a breakers bike last week that had the same damage. Ive bought a replacement swingarm and even that has had some contact from the exhaust. Its no more that a little ding and a graze,so nothing i cant sort out with some high build and sandpaper, but even so... I know mines hit the floor at some point in its life but the panels are professionally painted and the bike looks very tidy, i have no concerns about how it rides either Smile

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:01 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres the new swing arm, its a bit tatty and rusty but what else can you expect for £25 quid? Very Happy
https://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd404/SeanS91/My%20Motorbikes/DSC_2299_zpsnlwn1c4q.jpg
im gonna have it shotblasted and then repaint it. im thinking satin black

the bearings are all in good condition and i got a bunch of spares.
https://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd404/SeanS91/My%20Motorbikes/DSC_2301_zps5axpyfri.jpg

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:37 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean91 wrote:

Plan was to get them shotblasted back to silver, only the left peg wont unscrew.

For future reference.

The blue anodising will come right off as you watch (in single numbers of minutes) if you swirl them in a bath of caustic soda solution.

Usual safety precautions for handling caustic apply.

Here's some bicycle parts I did in caustic before and after.

https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/inbred/1CIMG1433_zpsf63b6fae.jpg

https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/inbred/1CIMG1435_zpsfd71e609.jpg

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:48 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why didnt i think of that? I did the same thing on a stem for my GT zaskar a few years ago. I might have to see if i can do one peg whilst still on the bike if i cant get it off

Silver_Fox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd keep the new swingarm the same colour to match the frame, as it is now. It'll look at odds imo if you change it

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:33 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver_Fox wrote:
I'd keep the new swingarm the same colour to match the frame, as it is now. It'll look at odds imo if you change it

i dunno, i thought it would make it more stealth looking, theres plenty more silver parts on the bike to match the frame. i guess its hard to forsee until its actually been done

to give an idea of how it should look with a black swingarm and silver pegs...

https://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd404/SeanS91/My%20Motorbikes/DSC_2292b_zpswquw97iw.jpg

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:08 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have one silver peg and one blue peg. Anybody got any ideas on how to get the seized RH peg off so it can also be stripped? Its already been left with wd40 to penetrate into the threads but it still wont budge.

ride_to_die
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:18 - 13 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried some heat on it or Plus gas? Also, that is a tidy looking 'cat Thumbs Up

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 13 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ride_to_die wrote:
Also, that is a tidy looking 'cat Thumbs Up

Agreed.

If that is the original colouring (black over grey) then it is an import as that colour was never sold in the UK but was very common across the Channel. They are quite rare over here: I have one which was imported from Germany and another I know in the UK came from the Netherlands. When I was at a German Thundercat meet they were everywhere.

Also that is a post-97 exhaust can - the '97 can was silver with an integral hanger - it was updated to the black with hanger strap design around '98.

Just offering some extra info for a new owner.

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:13 - 13 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ride_to_die wrote:
Tried some heat on it or Plus gas? Also, that is a tidy looking 'cat Thumbs Up
cheers mate. i dont have access to a blowtorch or anything with that kind of heat, but creativity did pay off in the end. I mixed up a caustic soda solution which i soaked an old sock in and wrapped that around the footpeg with a cable tie. Left it on there for an hour or so and the blue came straight off. So i now have a much more subtle looking pair of silver pegs now... On another note i dropped the swingarm down to the powdercoaters today for blasting, i should be able to start work on that wednesday

weasley wrote:
ride_to_die wrote:
Also, that is a tidy looking 'cat Thumbs Up

Agreed.

If that is the original colouring (black over grey) then it is an import as that colour was never sold in the UK but was very common across the Channel. They are quite rare over here: I have one which was imported from Germany and another I know in the UK came from the Netherlands. When I was at a German Thundercat meet they were everywhere.

Also that is a post-97 exhaust can - the '97 can was silver with an integral hanger - it was updated to the black with hanger strap design around '98.

Just offering some extra info for a new owner.
thanks, its handy having other Thundercat riders/enthusiasts here for advice and knowlege, i may have to pick your brains at some point Razz
The HPI check states the black and grey colour and says its had no previous colour changes, i didnt think it was an import but who knows

Silver_Fox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 13 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't dislike that black can to be honest, it would suit the black swingarm. Does it need to be changed?

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 13 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice bike dude Thumbs Up would have liked to have found a black/grey one when i was looking for one.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 290 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5