Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Accessories

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In b4 "have any of you tried this...." {insert link to piece of tat} " it looks good to me" #suzyairhostess

But anyway.

Phone holder = use your jacket pocket. Less likely to smash in a crash then and you can still phone an ambulance.

Camera = I use a sena 10c. But there's an argument to be made for the drift cameras as well.

Imo go pros are too clunky and expensive.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
But there's an argument to be made for the drift cameras as well.

As long as you get a working one, their customer service seems pretty good, but I wouldn't buy say a refurb' with a short warranty.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inb4 "What's the best cup holder for a motorcycle?"

Rolling Eyes Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:37 - 19 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Givi phone holder isn't worth 40 quid.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxford dryphone pro is the product I would have gone for but ended up using a combination of road signs and stopping to use phone sat nav app to get back on the main roads when lost.

Phone in the inside pocket of a motorbike jacket with headphones looped up through the jacket and into your ears are probably better than leaving it on the bike: one less thing to dismantle when you leave it and reduces funds lost if the bike goes walkies or if you get bike jacked. Although you can't use ear plugs if you use headphones and that would leave me mentally insane.

I use a camera, but it's a gimmick: improved road craft is better than a camera, but spanners will be spanners so I suppose its an evil must have in the modern day. GoPro's are fine but expensive for such simplistic use. You can get action cameras from the tech isle in Asda but I've no idea of their quality. Three of them (helmet, rear of bike and front) would probably cost less than a GoPro with some left over.
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Phone holder = use your jacket pocket. Less likely to smash in a crash then and you can still phone an ambulance.

Camera = I use a sena 10c. But there's an argument to be made for the drift cameras as well.

Imo go pros are too clunky and expensive.

Thanks but I wasn't planning on taking calls or sending texts while on the go LOL, was thinking more along the lines of using the phone as a satnav.

I know. Question

Is it only possible to crash when sending a text or making a call then? 🤣

The point is. If its attached to your bike, in a crash - it is more likely to be destroyed, leaving you unable to call for help if you needed to and also unable to post pointless selfies or pics of your ham sandwich until the insurance sorts it out. Nothing to do with texting 👍

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

For rebranded GoPro with one step behind firmware... (At least that's how it appears in use, having had both)

The SJ cameras are excellent value and you can take advantage of all of the world's GoPro accessories for it.

https://sjcam.com/

Even the super cheap basic ones like the sj4000 are equivalent to to hero 3+ black edition which is still overkill for 99% of people's use of them

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:52 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
was thinking more along the lines of using the phone as a satnav.

Still in jacket pocket and use headphones/bluetooth for voice directions....

No looking down and missing the idiot changing lanes...

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:55 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never use the phone holder. I have a bluetooth jobby on the helmet with speakers and microphone, so I can get voice directions from the phone using that. Turns out that voice directions are all I need, being able to see the map doesn't add much more.

Also worth noting that having the phone screen for mapping on the bike is nothing like using a proper screen in the car. You can't see it half the time due to glare. You have two additional dirty screens between you and the phone screen (phone holder and helmet visor). It's vibrating with the bike, and moving around with the bars.

In short, it often means taking your eyes off the road for longer than is advisable to work out what is going on with the map.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quadlock. Works as holder and quite unobtrusive phone case.

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 20 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use go pro chin mounted to the bike and Ultimateaddons tough case for galaxy s9+

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/28336028_10155012561766710_4403121029709496602_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=8cf3a60840672a9b8175fa4af821b096&oe=5CFF1BA3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:55 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoPro mounted to the chin?
Care to show us how it's done??
I ask because drilling holes is stupid and I always thought adhesives on helmets melted them??
Skye Bridge??

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey m8 sorry just seen this will try and get pictures however it works like this.

Buy 3m pads
Place 3m pads where you want to mount
Mould apoxy resin to make a flat surface on the 3m
Either 3m gopro attachment to the apoxy once dry or during drying have embed the adapter into apoxy.

You end up with something like this, this was my first attempt but it could be made to look better.

The reason for the 3m is if you want to remove it at a later date.

What i would say is this,
Having a camera any one on the side of your helmet the unbalanced weight will annoy you over a long time riding.
Helmet on the top is a bit crap view.
Chin is about as close as you can get to riders perspective.

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/28336107_10155015480736710_8475723575267450849_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_eui2=AeE0ZYDnaWlF_kGlSHmb3F9wtSWHvC59aR8lyPjyaIIQujun-VFSXcWVNEuZcbCIMbtUmqe0iHisqMCkHGnTBfn-FL6IDAxG2TBC-BLd475YWQ&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=6ce2069758852b89dd87a3cb695edaff&oe=5CC41CCA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevie GooGs wrote:
Hey m8 sorry just seen this will try and get pictures however it works like this.

Buy 3m pads
Place 3m pads where you want to mount
Mould apoxy resin to make a flat surface on the 3m
Either 3m gopro attachment to the apoxy once dry or during drying have embed the adapter into apoxy.

You end up with something like this, this was my first attempt but it could be made to look better.

The reason for the 3m is if you want to remove it at a later date.

What i would say is this,
Having a camera any one on the side of your helmet the unbalanced weight will annoy you over a long time riding.
Helmet on the top is a bit crap view.
Chin is about as close as you can get to riders perspective.

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/28336107_10155015480736710_8475723575267450849_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_eui2=AeE0ZYDnaWlF_kGlSHmb3F9wtSWHvC59aR8lyPjyaIIQujun-VFSXcWVNEuZcbCIMbtUmqe0iHisqMCkHGnTBfn-FL6IDAxG2TBC-BLd475YWQ&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=6ce2069758852b89dd87a3cb695edaff&oe=5CC41CCA

I just used cable ties through the vents Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great cheers.
I've seen a few people with 'lumps' there and cameras mounted to them - makes perfect sense now haha!

AdamEf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:35 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phone out of sight in pocket with directions through headphones as already mentioned. Or tank back with top clear pocket, but still try to rely on headphones instead of looking as much as possible.

I use a Drift Ghost X and am pleased with it. Good battery life and has Car DVR loop facility that records over itself when it runs out of card space. Mine is on the side of my helmet and I've never noticed the weight while riding.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:11 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a drift stealth 2 camera, great image quality, dreadful battery life, it never did the 2 hrs claimed, and now you are lucky to have 40 mins.
Cannot beat a direct wired cam front and rear.

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:02 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone has already mentioned zip ties but as an alternative if you want something permanent here's what I use.

A couple of velcro straps off fleabay for around £5. On the GoPro case I have (basic version) you can thread the straps through the casing.

https://i.imgur.com/9ZsS00I.jpg

Then aslong as you've bought long enough straps you should be able to attach like so.

I've used this setup several times, never comes loose and the camera itself never moves.

https://i.imgur.com/2l8sWEY.jpg

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Helmet mounted cam Reply with quote

And the second you creep over the speed limit and it's on the cam....you're nicked. Filming your ride as a mitigation tool will only result in a severe teffing. Concentrate on road and others, not what they do wrong. A dash cam for your own legal protection could work wonders if you are always an angel. As I posted, the quadlock works well, I could position it to film ahead, use some sort of travel maps with headphones in (or just connect to fancy earphones/bike to bike intercom) and plug it in to the charger on bike. Plus, if I did, as it's my phone, it'd be locked until I come round after a smash.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 26 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong on footage. They'll take it all. Plus, go scour interyoutubeweb for idiots who filmed themselves speeding and then crashed...lost both ways in many cases. Recently some police forces have even said footage needs more context before they'll prosecute for a perceived slight by billybigbolloxsuperdriverdashcamwarrior.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 63 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2