BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bar risers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:16 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Bar risers Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience using these type of bar risers?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F222983231213

https://www.sportouring.co.uk/shop/comfort-ergonomics/bar-risers/genmar_risers/comfort-ergonomics-bar-risers-genmar-risershonda/honda-bar-riser-honda-cbr600-f4i-h-120-3/

I cant afford to replace my f4i for now so going to keep until 2021 when ulez expands to north and south circulars

Trying to make it a bit more comfy and roomy , im 6ft2

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:06 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be shit, you'll want me/longer clutch, throttle and brake lines.

Might as well sell it and use that to fund another more upright less sporty commuter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 24 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a 20mm ( about 3/4") rise going to make that much of a difference?
seems a piddling amount to me
If so, are the cables that tight that they couldn't cope with

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:20 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 34mm or something risers. I had the bike for a long time before I fitted risers.

Yes, cabling is an issue you will need to sort. The bars need to turn freely without snagging from lock to lock (as you will know). This means you either need to reroute your cables or replace them. Neither is particularly difficult.

I replaced and rerouted both my throttle cable and clutch cable by means of a 'throttle cable repair kit' (check these on Ebay). These allow you to feed a high tensile steel cable through your existing cable plastics (you know, the outside bit of the cable) and stick screw-on stops of whatever size at appropriate places (wherever needed) along that cable. Then you simply cut off the excess using wire snips.

Effect on riding your familiar old bike: makes it easier to do long-distance rides. Seems to cut a bit quicker into the turn, as if you had reduced the trail of the bike. You will need to get used to slow-speed maneuvres all over again (hope you don't treasure those fairings too much Embarassed ). But there's absolutely nothing drastic about fitting such a small rise. It doesn't change much, but just be aware of the cabling changes you may need to make.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:31 - 25 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Is a 20mm ( about 3/4") rise going to make that much of a difference?

Probably.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 85 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1