Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Bike trailer - ease of use for one person?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

goto10
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:47 - 14 Jun 2016    Post subject: Bike trailer - ease of use for one person? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about getting one of these:
https://www.davecooper.co.uk/trailers/trailers-for-bikes (Single bike 'deluxe')
I've read that the MotoLug is the easiest to use, but they're quite expensive, hence the reason I'm looking at the Dave Cooper ones.

Anyway - how easy are these to use on your own? I can imagine trying to get a strap on is quite fun whilst balancing it - is it pretty straightforward or best avoided loading by yourself?
____________________
'12 NC700S & '12 CB600F Hornet [Stolen by some dickless twat] Suzuki GT500 shed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:54 - 14 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front wheel should kinda lock into a chock when on the trailer which should make strapping it down easier.

Something like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162101688520
or
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222150631334
or
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122012796178
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:33 - 14 Jun 2016    Post subject: Re: Bike trailer - ease of use for one person? Reply with quote

I've never had a problem, but seen others struggle.

have tie downs presetup.

You can always setup a bit of wood to be under where your side stand would go, so you can leave the bike on the side stand while sorting out the straps.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Parson
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 12 Apr 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:28 - 14 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw one advertised where the front wheel chock was on a runner. You put the front wheel in when the chock is slid right to the back of the trailer. This holds the bike and lets you get off on the flat ground, then you wind a winch to pull the chock to the front of the trailer before securing it all.

It looked really easy. Can't remember what it was called, or where I saw it though. And can't be arsed looking for it.
____________________
Then gsx650F - Now VFR800F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Parson
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 12 Apr 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:33 - 14 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I know I said I couldn't be arsed looking, but I started to wonder if I did see it. Or if maybe I was pissed and dreamt about it.

Here it's here, Treales Trailers, the series two has the winch.

https://www.trealestrailers.co.uk/motorcycle_trailers.php
____________________
Then gsx650F - Now VFR800F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:38 - 14 Jun 2016    Post subject: Re: Bike trailer - ease of use for one person? Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:

I can imagine trying a strap on is quite fun

Mr. Green
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:56 - 14 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Dave Cooper trailer, a double one.

I get the handlebar ratchet straps ready first before pushing the bike up onto the front wheel hoop. Whilst holding the font brake on I tighten one slightly on the front brake side (I am standing on the left) then do the same with the clutch side strap. Then I take turns tightening left and right until the forks are as compressed as I want.

The bike will stand up with just these whilst you either fit a third strap over the seat or if you like two extra straps, one from each footrest hanger or rear frame.
____________________
Blackmail is a nasty word........but not as nasty as phlegm!
XT1200Z and a DR350 in bits
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:31 - 14 Jun 2016    Post subject: Re: Bike trailer - ease of use for one person? Reply with quote

Ariel Badger wrote:
goto10 wrote:

I can imagine trying a strap on is quite fun

Mr. Green


It wasn't just me then Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

goto10
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Oct 2011
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:52 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a used trailer for £165 in the end (Trelgo), this one has a chock thing at the front to hold the wheel, came with a loading ramp and jockey wheel.
Cheers all.
____________________
'12 NC700S & '12 CB600F Hornet [Stolen by some dickless twat] Suzuki GT500 shed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 113 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.78 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 61.4 Kb