BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Edinburgh

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Parson
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:48 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Edinburgh Reply with quote

Is this another bike their coming a cropper in Edinburgh?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-36507665

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:51 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they have lower ages for riding bikes in Scotland?

Parson
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:12 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, predictive typing on the iPad. That should have been bike thief.

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:30 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praying that the pillion is taken by God as well. Praying
spottedtango This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Silver_Fox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

spottedtango wrote:
A bit harsh mate. 14 is a young and stupid age. Plenty of people make stupid decisions during their teenage years.

Not if you're brought up properly

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:20 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riding a "White Vertigo", had to google that and wow, £6500 brand new:

https://www.vertigomotors.co.uk/index.php/models/131-combat-ice-hell

As far as I am concerned, no mercy if they stole it.

ackack
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:27 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish all car/bike thieves ended up dead. They bring nothing but ballache for the owners and leave us out of pocket in increased premiums.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:31 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

spottedtango wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

A bit harsh mate.

Harsh would be hoping that he's burning in hell.

Hmm, turns out that there's no pillion seat. The area looks all right, I guess that might not have been stolen, just Findlay and Farquar out for a cheeky ride.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:07 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

spottedtango wrote:

A bit harsh mate. 14 is a young and stupid age. Plenty of people make stupid decisions during their teenage years.

Stupid is as stupid does.

You live or die by your mistakes.

We need to feel the love for the car driver who could end up having to pay for the damage.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:41 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
We need to feel the love for the car driver who could end up having to pay for the damage.

Hmm, I wonder if the MIB scheme pays out if the vehicle involved was off-road only? It's not like they'd pay out for a bicycle collision. Thinking

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:29 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That road is very near my mates lockup. The surface is shocking and it has huge speedhumps on it all the way along.

No prizes for getting what they were doing.

There is no way the car was doing over 20mph.

In fact, there is a heavily pot-holes, dirt surface alley running down the back of the houses all the way along that street too with a cut through between each block of houses.

So I'll go for either big air off speedhumps or razzing along the back alley then popped out from between two houses without looking.

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

spottedtango wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Yeah, some of us nicked a bag of crisps, not a motorcycle and then crashed it into a car.

Sooner the pillion bites it the better, one less theif in Edinburgh. If I lived there, I'd be constantly worried about the bike going walkies.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Educate me please, but what is it up there in Edinburgh that makes bike theft, and kids stealing and joy riding anything with an engine and two wheels so good or popular?

Is it really so boring for kids growing up the other side of the border that stealing and riding peoples bikes and then burning them is the only thing you can do for fun or as a hobby?

Do Scottish parents spend all their money on booze and not enough on bringing up their kids or interactive stuff with them?

Do you have more or less baby farmers than we do? And what does the Scottish parliament think about the problems with thier kids growing up and do they have any ideas or plans for dealing with bike theft by these poor bored children?

I'm surprised that there's any bikes left in Scotland such is the amount of stories of kids joy riding them away every second of the day?

Do you have any big rough vengeful owners that spit out a bit of lethal justice to these kids or is it seen as a no no?

I understand the scooter theft thing in London for all the robberies and muggings etc, it's the ideal tool for the job for the scum that do it. But what's causing Scotlands bike problems though?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

spottedtango
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:39 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem you're forgetting is even if you had no sympathy for the teenagers.

There's a black aygo driver out there that's probably a bit traumatised after accidently killing one 14 year old and now everyone wishes a second death on the persons conscience.

Yeah people will say aw but it's not your fault stupid people deserved it. Got what was coming to them but it doesn't really help relieve the burden of accidently killing two people. The person will still be thinking what if i done x would they still be alive.

And if people actually read the article at no point does it say the bike was stolen it couldve been owned by the parents but hey carry on

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:41 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Educate me please, but what is it up there in Edinburgh that makes bike theft, and kids stealing and joy riding anything with an engine and two wheels so good or popular?

Mainly due to having a police force who do not consider it a crime and a criminal justice system who do not consider it worthy of action.

If you want to ride a motorbike (and what teenage lad doesn''t), simply steal one and ride it about, safe in the knowledge that there are zero consequences for doing so.

In the highly unlikely event the police bother to stop you, they'll almost certainly just take it off you without any further action. In the vanishingly unlikely event you are sent before a court, you will be fined less than I would for parking on a double yellow.

They were at the point of occasionally taking stolen bikes off scheemies when I lived there 16 years ago but weren't bothering to go so far as to take their names even then. I presume things have gone downhill since.

I know they do because a member of my bike club had a group of teenage NEDs try to shove him off his bandit 600 at a junction, presumably to steal it, as he was riding through Pilrig. He had to be quite forceful to even get an incident report number out of the police.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:50 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Failbook profile.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10353121_247350268791670_3688383435411243581_n.jpg?oh=6e0aaad3afff9d8fa16ec8eba66811d0&oe=57CE4796

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:24 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:

Mainly due to having a police force who do not consider it a crime and a criminal justice system who do not consider it worthy of action.

If you want to ride a motorbike (and what teenage lad doesn''t), simply steal one and ride it about, safe in the knowledge that there are zero consequences for doing so.

In the highly unlikely event the police bother to stop you, they'll almost certainly just take it off you without any further action. In the vanishingly unlikely event you are sent before a court, you will be fined less than I would for parking on a double yellow.

They were at the point of occasionally taking stolen bikes off scheemies when I lived there 16 years ago but weren't bothering to go so far as to take their names even then. I presume things have gone downhill since.

I know they do because a member of my bike club had a group of teenage NEDs try to shove him off his bandit 600 at a junction, presumably to steal it, as he was riding through Pilrig. He had to be quite forceful to even get an incident report number out of the police.

All of the above is exactly how it is in Scotland. Steal a bike, ride like a maniac around housing schemes and when you get bored, torch it. If by some miracle the police actually take time off from shafting the generally law abiding public and catch the fuckers, there are absolutely zero consequences. Work for a living, pay taxes and get shafted - Life in Scotland . Evil or Very Mad

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

looking at his profile and pictures of him being talked to by the police and something that looks like him and his friends fucking with a car I doubt it was his bike, probably wasn't even a big crash but he was just a softie.

Duffman
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:04 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afraid police apathy is the main reason. Similar story in the cycling world, high end bikes are being stolen frequently in Edinburgh.

Parson
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:26 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to set the record straight, this isn't a Scottish issue, it's an Edinburgh issue. There is a culture in that city where young teenagers like to steal bikes. Although there is bike theft elsewhere, it's not on the scale of Edinburgh.

Yorkshire Geek
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:13 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely nicked, hopefully the other little shit joins his mate soon.

Empathy - I've never been good at it.

[edit]Apparently that's a totally different scrote with a totally different stolen bike who happened to be the same age in the same area. Google-fu fail[/edit]

Last edited by Yorkshire Geek on 17:43 - 13 Jun 2016; edited 1 time in total

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:32 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parson wrote:
I need to set the record straight, this isn't a Scottish issue, it's an Edinburgh issue. There is a culture in that city where young teenagers like to steal bikes. Although there is bike theft elsewhere, it's not on the scale of Edinburgh.

Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire must be a close second to Edinburgh. Police apathy is identical.

Duffman
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:41 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, it does seem to be Edinburgh. I don't get the same fear parking / riding in Glasgow. There's clearly a core of scumbags in the east.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 311 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4