Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Never been on a Bike at 40yo - CBT Next week

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Herb Bert
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:47 - 17 Jun 2016    Post subject: Never been on a Bike at 40yo - CBT Next week Reply with quote

Dear All,

My daily commute by car from home in Essex to work in London is by the A13 and A406- the North Circular.
My journey according to AA’s route planner should only take 39 minutes. Well, then why does it take me 1¼ to 1 ¾ on a good day?

My sanity is on the line at 42yo and you all know why …..and have to admit to always looking admiringly at those on scooters and motorcycles cruising to work.

I have read a lot on here what I need to get going to be like my heroes i.e CBT etc.

I am now struggling to decide if I am better off with a scooter or geared bike. I rode a scooter before for a day last year at an instruction course out of interest but really didn’t follow through with the CBT – because I didn’t have my current job and its crazy commute !

From what I have read;

Scooter more ideal for commute because of weather protection, space for helmet etc.

Question is;

1. Is the journey 22 miles each way via A roads (A13 & A406) doable by a 125 Scoot?

2. Im thinking once done my CBT this month… to practise locally for around 3-6 months before attempting my commute on A roads is that a ridiculous thought or should I get stuck in straight away i.e carry on with DAS etc and maybe get a bike six months later due to cost issues. The problem I see here will be I will have had no practice.

3. Will riding a push bike help me with practising before going for the CBT? I haven’t ridden one in years.

As I have never ridden previously I am assuming it may be difficult for me to learn to ride and use gears all in one day. Is that a fair assessment? I would prefer if I had a geared bike especially on weekends but understand I need to be practical.
Eventually though, once I’ve been on the scoot for say a year; I would like to do the full motorcycle licence and get rid of the L Plates.

In terms of bike to buy….I love me a brand new Chinese bike…because of price…its new- not had a hard life from a newbie like me.

Needless to say I have read heard all the stuff about them falling apart, from only so much as a customers’ look, in bike showrooms across the country …….due to them being made of cheese (apparently) !

However, I have been looking at the lexmoto 125cc scooters which are under £1K but are they reliable / good / not made of monkey metal etc?
Have I now completely lost my mind??

Thanks for your advice.

charlie74
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:38 - 17 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome

firstly.. NO, a pedal bike wont help with passing a cbt, other than teaching you to hug the kerb and be scared shitless by other road users who view you as scum lower than a 50cc ped.

that said depending on your car licence you might already be able to ride a 50cc ped on L plates without a cbt, that will give you more relevant experience

a good 125 scooter is about the same top speed as a geared bike tbh, scooters will usually hit 60 so doing the A roads is viable, and 22 miles isn't that long tbh . if anything its the ideal commute for a bike.

personally given your age, I would go for a DAS.. as that gives you unlimited options, and a good 500 is more suited to what you want, a 125 will always be at its upper limits, plus a decent used 500 is around similar prices to a Chinese 125

now Chinese 125's.. they are as good as A/ the dealer you get it from, B/ as much time and effort you can put into it, and the model you choose
if your not mechanically minded and/or don't spend time lubing/checking/servicing it you will have "issues". plus they don't hold their value that well ( if at all) ideal say if you want to spend a grand run it for 3 yrs and dispose of before the first MOT, and do whats needed to keep it running, works out roughly £5-600 a year including servicing ( excluding major failures)

personally if I was looking for a daily commuter on a CBT, and wanted the "new" factor of a warrenty and dealer support, id go for a YBR, 0% finance over 4yrs £100 deposit and under £80 a month + will still have a cash value at the end.

if you get your DAS done, then choose a style and pick what you want. me im lazy.. and the 300cc scooters look comfy and will hit 80 easily, and offer reasonable wind/weather protection

techsnap
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:39 - 17 Jun 2016    Post subject: Re: Never been on a Bike at 40yo - CBT Next week Reply with quote

Herb Bert wrote:

1. Is the journey 22 miles each way via A roads (A13 & A406) doable by a 125 Scoot?

In terms of bike to buy….I love me a brand new Chinese bike…because of price…its new- not had a hard life from a newbie like me.

Needless to say I have read heard all the stuff about them falling apart, from only so much as a customers’ look, in bike showrooms across the country …….due to them being made of cheese (apparently) !

However, I have been looking at the lexmoto 125cc scooters

44 miles a day on a Chinese scooter - good luck with that!

Chinese scooters are OK for a purpose, but have a terrible reputation for generally fair reason, and I wouldn't want to trust one for that much mileage.

Unfortunately, Lexmoto are still Chinese, just branded by a UK importer.

Look for good condition secondhand Japanese if you want reliability - Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Aky208
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:51 - 17 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did my DAS last year, a lot of riding schools offered an hours taster session. Completely free and you get to feel what its like on a geared 125. Plus you also get a glimpse of what the riding school is like without having to put money down.

TheArchitect
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 17 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind a 4 year old Japanese scooter is* still more reliable than a brand new Chinese scooter. 1K is a reasonable budget for a decent used Japanese scooter. Just look around.

*obviously subject to reasonable service and maintenance history.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 17 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aky208 wrote:
When I did my DAS last year, a lot of riding schools offered an hours taster session. Completely free and you get to feel what its like on a geared 125. Plus you also get a glimpse of what the riding school is like without having to put money down.

Our local school offers a £30 taster hour, refundable when you book the CBT.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:24 - 17 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, riding a pushbike will help with your balance and getting you used to the riding position.

You'll likely find the CBT draining. There's a lot to take in and you're likely to be thrown in with some cocky scooter-chavs just there to pick up their repeat-tickets.

Don't worry about what anyone else is doing, and don't get it in your head that it's a 1 day course. It's as long as you need to get up to a basic level of competency.

Ask about the price of further days, and don't get mugged off with being sent home after a few hours. If you're paying for a day's training, get a day's training.

Whether you do it on a twist-and-go or geared is really up to you and whether you just want to complete it (go twist-and-go) or definitely want a geared bike.

For commuting, I'd be looking for reasons not to get a Honda PCX 125, or a Vision if your budget stretches to it.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 17 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend you get a scooter, ride it through to next spring and by then you'll be ready for a nice upgrade via a DAS. Sure you could get a geared bike, but it would be a pain with all the gear changing and you'd likely get pissed off with that. Bigger bikes are more forgiving about the gear they are in, 125's pretty much need to be in a certain gear, scooters negate this problem.

I would be looking at a PCX or a Burgman, they have great storage and you can get one for a grand that you will be able to resell next year losing next to nothing, if anything at all. Just don't go buying brand new, you'll want to sell it, so that makes new a bad idea.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 17 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do DAS, get big bike.
Riding A roads and owning the road like a boss is much easier on an R1. Or something. Wink

Seriously though, get the full licence - at the very least it's extra training.

Herb Bert
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:19 - 17 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s it ! From reading lots of helpful comments here ;

I have to admit have led me to having a premonition of travelling at 50 mph on the A13, suddenly see screws fall out, speedo refuse to work, handlebars do a 360 and face away from the rider whilst the seat gives way and opens up to the road below…..

So I think I will ;

1. Go on a push bike – get my balance sorted
2. Chinese – keep it as something I order for the family on a Friday night
3. Do the CBT and see about doing the DAS

About point 3. Is it feasible attempting the DAS straight away without much riding experience apart from the CBT?

Thanks,

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 17 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herb Bert wrote:
Is it feasible attempting the DAS straight away without much riding experience apart from the CBT?

My good friend recently did it, from CBT to Mod2 pass in under 3 weeks.

Not everyone can of course, but it happens.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:58 - 17 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herb Bert wrote:
Is it feasible attempting the DAS straight away without much riding experience apart from the CBT?

Very much an individual question.

I wouldn't have felt confident doing it. It'll come down to how well your CBT goes.

If you do the CBT on a geared bike, you could try blagging a quick go on a 600cc 'A' training bike. That should help make up your mind, although be warned, it will ruin 125s for you.

Aky208
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:03 - 17 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Aky208 wrote:

Our local school offers a £30 taster hour, refundable when you book the CBT.

I was looking at doing it through this:

https://www.geton.co.uk/free-motorbike-scooter-experience/

But in the end the school I chose offered a free taster session anyway, so I went with that.

Aky208
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:11 - 17 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herb Bert wrote:

Apart from the extra free taster session, I went from CBT to DAS and passed.
However I consider myself lucky that I only had one other person on the course with me who progressed at the same rate as I did. I can imagine it would be much more difficult had I been on a course with several other people who all did much better than me.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO you should get your DAS and then decide whether to get a big scooter or a bike. A 300 scooter may be your best option although I'd be going for a 500cc+ bike.
Plus the ability to get something else in a few years (maybe a great deal comes your way or a location change etc) without having to do your test then, is a benefit.

125 are quite stressed little things for a commute like yours although I'm sure they'd do it OK for a while, I'm not sure how long for.

Find your local bike training school and discuss it with them (if there are a few schools then ask around for recs on which is better).

Last edited by Alpineandy on 18:22 - 21 Jun 2016; edited 1 time in total

Herb Bert
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:35 - 21 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went for CBT today.

All was going well until an exercise where the instructor wanted me to ride at 30mph and then he would step out onto the road like a pedestrian where then I would need to do an emergency stop!

So off I went.

According to Instructor ; My speed was good unfortunately I turned the throttle the wrong way and that (Speed) increased –significantly, so much so that when the instructor stepped onto my bikes path as expected for this exercise - his reflexes were severely tested .

Needless to say, I didn’t go out onto the road. I am also thankful that the CBT instructor is in good shape.

I will be rebooking my CBT !

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:14 - 21 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit, they're worth 10 points. Better luck next time.

When you go back rested with some time for your brain to assimilate it, you'll find it all much easier.

Alan1986
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:22 - 21 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you still enjoyed it,
Took me two goes myself, You should have it all done on the next visit Very Happy

Herb Bert
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:26 - 21 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed. I enjoyed it. Will take some time to reflect and then do it again next week probably.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 21 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's any consolation, a similar thing happened on my CBT. A middle-aged female bus driver, appeared to have got the feel of a scooter and was going round and round, whilst another girl and myself were getting to grips with geared bikes.

Whilst the instructor had his back to the woman on the scooter, all of a sudden she throttled up and piled the scooter straight into a tree. Which was impressive as there were only a couple in the 'yard' we were practicing.

So don't feel bad, as soon as you are on the road under your own steam you'll be laughing.

Oh and for a week or so after my CBT I was riding around on a 125 with my wife in the car, either in front or behind so I could practice safely. Embarassed

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:55 - 21 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and obligatory:

https://i.imgur.com/XKhZm29.gif

https://25.media.tumblr.com/717254335e2db476ec54168051019925/tumblr_n2lkpir3Eu1ss46elo1_400.gif

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:01 - 21 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those CBR125's are dangerous Shocked

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:44 - 21 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Those CBR125's are dangerous Shocked

Because racebike. Wink

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:15 - 22 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

tl;dr RIP

Other than that you will be fine Thumbs Up

Just ride and have a fun.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:13 - 22 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

forgot this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIfcvC3e3KY Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 307 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2