Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Suzuki Address 125cc (2007) Dash problem

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

salmichaels
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 18 Jun 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:55 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Suzuki Address 125cc (2007) Dash problem Reply with quote

I recently bought this bike from a reputable store and it is quite wonderful, especially compared to the ancient I was driving before. As soon as I drove the bike away I noticed a particularly annoying issue. One of the dash lights appears to be out. (see pic). I took it back and they changed the entire dash unit, I watched them do this from a distance. After getting the new one put in, I noticed some funny looks on their faced - the shop is well lit so it's hard to be sure if the lights actually work, or put another way, it's easy to say "we thought it was working!" When I drove away, I noticed it was the SAME. Oh but one difference: instead of a scooter with 10,000km on it, now I have one with 70000km. If that wasn't enough, the change oil light came on last night. I highly doubt the oil needs changed, but I'm going to check it before driving today just in case.

I had thought they could just change the light bulb, is that not the case?

They will tell me when I go back that all Suzuki dashes are like this. Is that true? I really don't buy that.

Is the mileage and the check oil indicator all stored inside the dash unit? I read somewhere that when they are changed out on a car they both have to be sent somewhere to have the mileage of the old dash recorded in the new.

I love this scooter, but I want these issues fixed and I need to approach the shop with a little knowledge, for I am otherwise quite ignorant about scooters.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I'm having a hard time getting the image to be embedded in my message, but it looks like you can download it here.

thanks!
Sal
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:49 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Take it back.
Most of the clock sets (Sorry but when I hear the word "dash" I think of car dashboards)
ALL of the speedo/clock sets I have ever worked on contain those tiny little bulbs T5/T10/W5W or whatever so I'd be quite surprised if this wasn't the case with your clocks.(seen some newer types with leds though)
but it might well be a sealed unit, so was easier to just swap them out (can't tell much from your pic. It would have been better if you posted a pic of the back of the clocks too )
Brand new clocks can be expensive (like 300 quid expensive) so sounds like they might have fitted a used set, hence the incorrect milage.
Although I don't think there's anything illegal in fitting clocks with incorrect milage (i have done it umpteen times but I always take a note of the original milage reading for future reference/resell time) it makes things...not quite so straightforward & I would be unhappy with ANY garage who fitted clocks that made my bike look like it had done more miles than it had actually done.
Sounds like they've tried to pull a fast one.
I suppose it COULD be a genuine error but you won't know for sure until you take it back.

cheers,
GAZ
EDIT: Just Googled "suzuki address clocks " & 1 of the 1st images was of the rear & they DO have little bulbs that just pull out (like all the others I have worked on)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

salmichaels
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 18 Jun 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:03 - 18 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean post a pic of the clock set taken out of the...dash? And a pic of the back of that? I'm not equipped to do that.

My impression is that it's a sealed clockset.

This isn't the one but it looked very much like this:

https://www.google.com.tw/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fthumbs3.ebaystatic.com%2Fd%2Fl225%2Fm%2FmFXQycToO9S9tEyKhfMAriA.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fbhp%2Fscooter-speedometer&docid=DU2EXQKjY-_pXM&tbnid=5oH2dZ5XxhBJsM%3A&w=225&h=225&ved=0ahUKEwi_nayx87DNAhWCoJQKHTz2CbcQMwhAKBowGg&iact=mrc&uact=8&biw=1152&bih=628

I don't have any documentation of the mileage of the scooter when I bought it. You live and learn...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 113 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.52 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 37.79 Kb