Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Robocars start the Skynet slaughter

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 06:50 - 01 Jul 2016    Post subject: Robocars start the Skynet slaughter Reply with quote

Bright thing ahead = sky, not truck. Hurt

Teslas's response: "If Robocar had hit the truck differently, meatsack wouldn't be dead. Happens all the tim... we can probably patch i... GO TESLA!"

Explain to me again how these things are going to deal with London traffic when they can't spot a bleedin' truck right in front of them. Laughing

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:03 - 01 Jul 2016    Post subject: Re: Robocars start the Skynet slaughter Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Explain to me again how these things are going to deal with London traffic when they can't spot a bleedin' truck right in front of them. Laughing

It would only take 2 kids rolling a beach ball, slowly, across a road to bring the whole of Gotham to a standstill.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 07:48 - 01 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's experimental technology from a company that works on the basis of taking big risks to get incredible results, quickly. Hopefully they'll be able to fix the problem and restore confidence before any US states start to swing the banhammer.

Like it or not, self-driving cars are happening. I'd much rather see them happening this way, where a company is making really cool cars and developing the robot stuff really quickly in the real world. The alternative is decades on (expensive) closed test courses, probably followed by segregated roads.

If your worry is eventual legislation that provides preferential treatment for self-driving cars and discriminatory treatment for people that might want to operate their own vehicle and even (shock horror) enjoy doing it, then the Tesla model is preferable, where self-driving cars have to play nice with other traffic.

Even on the current state of the technology, I would rather see it implemented in London than the current minicab/uber drivers. They have a lot of crashes, and the only reason they don't have more is that everyone sees the TFL sticker in the back window and gives said car a lot of room to do something stupid. Something stupid is observed at least once a day during my short London commute.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:04 - 01 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby.

Robby.

Think of the children.

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 01 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rog, I wholeheartedly believe he always does.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 01 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, the google self driving cars have done exceptionally well for themselves, accidents per mile.
Infact they have been driving toooo well as almost all accidents have been caused because other people who have no expected the google car to abide by minor rules of the road.
Ie, slowing down on a duel carriageway for a vehicle broken down on the side and the car behind went into the back of him.
Technically you should slow down when passing a broken down vehicle but how many people actually do although its arguable that the driver behind Should have been paying attention whilst on the duel carriageway.

I do believe they are/will be safer than driving yourself but as long as they are in an environment where un expected events (people) or challenging environments (bright sky, wrong kind of snow... Rolling Eyes ) are present, there will be some casualties...

That being said, le'Borg's title is far more exciting than "Self driving car fatal crashes still statistically significantly lower than standard set by meatbags".

Thinking Thinking Thinking without the issue of having to drive though, would the age you can use these be lowered? How old do you have to be before you can ride in a taxi alone?

Last edited by skatefreak on 09:32 - 01 Jul 2016; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:26 - 01 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the next model be called HK-47?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 11:20 - 01 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doovy wrote:
Rog, I wholeheartedly believe he always does.

Only when he isn't thinking of you. Thumbs Up

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 01 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banning the car based on 1 incident would be a massive overreaction. I mean, based on human drivers deaths shouldn't they be banned by now if that's a reasonable response?

Yes it killed somebody, but they still have a better track record than humans.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:28 - 01 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure he paid for his stint at the supercharger?

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/maxresdefault11-610x343.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:47 - 01 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:
To be fair, the google self driving cars have done exceptionally well for themselves, accidents per mile.
Infact they have been driving toooo well as almost all accidents have been caused because other people who have no expected the google car to abide by minor rules of the road.
Ie, slowing down on a duel carriageway for a vehicle broken down on the side and the car behind went into the back of him.
Technically you should slow down when passing a broken down vehicle but how many people actually do although its arguable that the driver behind Should have been paying attention whilst on the duel carriageway.

The rules are different on duel carriageways. Dual carriageways however...
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 01 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

But who is going to give me the finger for being an old git when driving to the speed limit Middle Finger Wink

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 01 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Youtube Vid:

Quote:

Erik Van Lombergen2 hours ago

Cars are way too dangerous to leave their operations to humans.

12 Thumbs Up

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:15 - 01 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The syknetmobile realised it made a terrible mistake

Quote:
Man killed in gruesome Tesla autopilot crash was saved by his car's software weeks earlier

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/30/tesla_autopilot_crash_leaves_motorist_dead/

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:18 - 01 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's OK to break the 1st law if it's for the greater good.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 01 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
It's OK to break the 1st law if it's for the greater good.

THE GREATER GOOOD.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:23 - 01 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are going to be up to our balls in jugglers!

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:19 - 02 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tesla autopilot driver was reportedly watching Harry Potter when he was hit and killed

https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/motoring/tesla-autopilot-driver-was-reportedly-watching-harry-potter-when-he-was-hit-and-killed/news-story/eb97718fe50bd5c95da5eaf25436b6a5

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:07 - 02 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You are currently experiencing an automobile accident"

https://basementrejects.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/i-robot-2004-movie-review-you-are-experiencing-a-car-accident-chase-scene.jpg

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:24 - 02 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the car was watching the fast and furious and thought that looked like fun, and to be fair it sounds like the car made it, only decapitating the pesky human inside.

skatefreak wrote:

I recall one being when a bus failed to give way... a rare occurrence there Very Happy

lihp wrote:

Well human beings are flawed and make mistakes, if you're replacing that by flawed technology (yes designed by flawed humans) then I don't really see the point.

I still don't see this technology working in any other environment than the motorway, and even then I don't see how getting people to pay less attention is safer.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 02 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just waiting for a battery fire, lithium is fun if you remember secondary school science/arsonist lessons.

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 02 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
I'm just waiting for a battery fire, lithium is fun if you remember secondary school science/arsonist lessons.

"Go on sir...... put a bigger bit in"

Was always the response when the reactive metals came out to play

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:07 - 02 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the car stop when it had completed the slaughter of the occupant or did it just carry on along the motorway?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:22 - 02 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

lihp wrote:
Banning the car based on 1 incident would be a massive overreaction. I mean, based on human drivers deaths shouldn't they be banned by now if that's a reasonable response?

One crash killed Concorde and it wasn't even a fault of the plane. I bet this will result in the ban for auto driving cars on normal roads.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 02 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

One crash killed Concorde and it wasn't even a fault of the plane. I bet this will result in the ban for auto driving cars on normal roads.

No, the massive running and maintenance costs. With the addition of lack of demand killed the Concorde.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 270 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5