Robocars start the Skynet slaughter

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:08 - 05 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Let's be honest, it's the dickhead drivers like the truck driver in this one https://youtu.be/y4bQBJ2Cfqk?t=18 that need to be replaced by AI.

I wonder if AI cars will be capable of the kind of courtesy which smoothes traffic flow. The rudely driven truck in the video didn't indicate but had it done so, finding its route to the exit blocked, would the car have responded at all?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:14 - 05 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word on Concorde, as it was mentioned in this thread.

Nobody ever said it was uncrashable. It never had the complex fly by wire electronics of modern Airbus airliners for example. Also, it flew safely for many years before, and a few months after the Paris accident, but the cost of manufacturing the tiny number of replacement consumable parts was getting prohibitive, and as people have mentioned passenger numbers dwindled.

One of the issues was that if the design were to be submitted to aviation safety certification today, the authorities would rule that having two engines together in a pod flush with a wing full of fuel is unsafe. Basically because Boeing. This pretty much means that all modern airliners conform to basically the same design.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:20 - 05 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

I wonder if AI cars will be capable of the kind of courtesy which smoothes traffic flow. The rudely driven truck in the video didn't indicate but had it done so, finding its route to the exit blocked, would the car have responded at all?

With more AI I'd expect vehicles to also be talking to others in proximity. eg, I need to take this exit. can I get in please?

Plus AI would probably go

"There's a car in the way and space behind, I'll slow a bit and pull in behind them"

and this would be in advance of the exit rather than "oh shit, I need this exit."

Most human drivers seems to go "Fuck you , I'm turning off" and then accelerate to try and get in front.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:06 - 05 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
eg, I need to take this exit. can I get in please?

NEIN! IST VERBOTEN!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:58 - 09 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going a step further now - in the latest incident they of course used a robot to blow up the shooter.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dallas+shooter+blown+up

Not autonomous. YET.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 09 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar principal but not what I was referring to. Imagine a government that doesn't need soldiers to depress dissent Shocked Welcome to the age where we are enslaved by technology Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:07 - 10 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Going a step further now - in the latest incident they of course used a robot to blow up the shooter.

Not autonomous. YET.

That's a very worrying step.

In the future, it's not inconceivable that they could even use some form of metal tube to enclose rapidly expanding gasses and propel a fully autonomous piece of lead or steel at supersonic velocities, completely outwith the control of a human operator once in flight.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 10 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
G wrote:

Not autonomous. YET.

That's a very worrying step.

In the future, it's not inconceivable that they could even use some form of metal tube to enclose rapidly expanding gasses and propel a fully autonomous piece of lead or steel at supersonic velocities, completely outwith the control of a human operator once in flight.

Military designers wet dreams are one line of configuration within the code away from pulling the trigger. For now it's just full auto aim you'll have to make do with.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q7VZWSO57y8

IIRC the Israelis may have deployed a system which carries out the final shot too.
Either way the anti personnel mine has been killing innocents for years so no biggie!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:55 - 10 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Nobody ever said it was uncrashable.

I watched an entire program where even the designers were saying so.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 9 days between these two posts...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:46 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump* Interesting (in parts) program on the subject (of driverless cars): https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08wwnwk/horizon-2017-dawn-of-the-driverless-car

Lots of predictions, I found the Roborace bit interesting, they glossed over how their cars can't corner anywhere near the speed of an obsolete human, and that when they set two cars 'racing' against each other at a Formula e event in Argentina one of them crashed.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:50 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A moral maze over sex robots: https://i.imgur.com/9Izr63N.png

Those are questions which need to be addressed. Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:21 - 20 Jul 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
*bump* Interesting (in parts) program on the subject (of driverless cars

Sociology graduates reporting on Technobabble Adams.

Nope, couldn't tolerate the Children's Hour voice over and plinky-plonky soundtrack.

Yes to assistance technologies, but until Robocar can interpret the random intentions, gestures and grimaces of idiot meatsacks, it's got no place making driving decisions on our comically badly maintained, congested and frequently coned or closed off roads.

Californian highway solutions will not transfer to London, no matter how hard to wish or legislate to the contrary.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 242 days between these two posts...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 19 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've turned their attention to humans outside the vehicle now... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43459156

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:46 - 19 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we'll get to find out who'll be held accountable.

My slush-money's on the ped.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:20 - 19 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

She'll be posthumously done for jaywalking.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:11 - 20 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Police said the accident happened Sunday night while the car was in autonomous mode. A human monitor was also behind the wheel."

What sort of fucking language is that? 'A Human Monitor'

Were they afraid to say, 'Some cunt, who had given control to the self-drive computer, was also in the car.'? Whankirs.

Police said the woman, Elaine Herzberg, had not been using a pedestrian crossing. Herzberg was taken to a local hospital where she died."

Hooman ped (not computer controlled) was 100% liable in this case. Damages will be sought from her estate.

The US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board said they were sending teams to Tempe.
Baseball, Football or Basket Ball? Thinking

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:13 - 20 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, a Homeless pushing a bicycle across the road.

But hang on, that's a Volvo XC-90 hybrid. So, travelling silently on electropower?

Who wins the sadface ecotrumps there?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 20 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Is that a sprinkler system on the edge of the pavement? I wonder how LIDAR would cope with a plume of fine spray.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 20 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha. The software is obviously programmed to eradicate homeless carbon lifeforms who are a drain on society. Thumbs Up

Send one down the Strand and it will be up on the pavement chasing the bastards. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:38 - 20 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
The software is obviously programmed to eradicate cycling-carbon lifeforms who are a drain on society. Thumbs Up

Either way. Clapping

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:12 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

KillKam video released.

Well, well. No, the cyclopath did not just step straight out in front of Robocar. She was already clearly in the road, and side on. Robocar had plenty of time to use its techno-feelers to spot her and brake or swerve. It didn't so much as twitch before snuffing her.

The... uh... woman... face-tweeting while not-driving Robocar appears to have an interesting history too.

But that's by-the-by: this was a full on legit murderkill by Robocar.

Mad compo lawsueweeets incoming, although I do wonder against whom.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:18 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side issue, did it 'transition' because it fucked it's own first persona up being a criminal and all that?
Effectively changing sides to get additional minority privilege and therefore a job? How many employers in
the US would risk being sued for over zealous background checks when faced with a man/woman/thing who they are
obliged to employ because box ticking? It's a great strategy, bit like becoming deeply religious once already in prison
just to attempt to secure early release.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:50 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, but I expect there may have been some miscommunication over the job advert for "hybrid drivers".

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bigger picture here is that autonomous vehicles are far safer than human controlled vehicles. I hope this doesn't affect their implementation too heavily. There will almost certainly be a time when autonomous vehicles are the norm. Eggs/Omelette situations are bound to occur.
The video shows that the woman was at fault for pushing a bike across a dark road, I'm not sure a human would have done anything but hit her.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:11 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
The bigger picture here is that autonomous vehicles are far safer than human controlled vehicles.

A very few brand new, scrupulously maintained autonomous vehicles under acutely monitored tests in very carefully selected environments have to date disclosed fewer crashes than ageing randomly maintained vehicles of all types driven by all drivers in all locations and conditions.

EFA.

Pjay wrote:
The video shows that the woman was at fault for pushing a bike across a dark road

That's weird, I'd have thought that lidar would work better in the dark. In what way am I mistaken?

Pjay wrote:
I'm not sure a human would have done anything but hit her.

I'm not sure that Robocar could have avoided hitting her, but I'm very sure that it should have reacted in some way when it was clear even to the... human... in the vehicle that there was spam slap bang in front of it.

Unless it detected kittens to the left, puppies to the right, and a tailgating truck full of ickle babby ferrets, and determined that slaughtering the pedalist was the solution to that particular trolley problem.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 29 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5