Robocars start the Skynet slaughter

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Safety Driver" looked a bit hefty.

Maybe it knew the brakes just weren't up to the job so didn't bother applying them.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:02 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was smirking at something that was lighting its face up and in its lap a second or two before the thud.
Newly installed flouro trans genitalia? No? Probably just a phone then making them about as useful as a 'safety driver'™
as chocolate is in the construction of high quality fireguards. Though I suspect being completely useless is a bit of a running
theme with this particular meatsack.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:25 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like she came out of nowhere but dash cams aren't great at night, had the meatbag been paying attention he/she (?) would have seen the pedestrian earlier than the video suggests IMO.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:50 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, having seen the killshot, my money's on Miss Convicted being fingered for it.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Convicted or 'Miss' Convicted? It's an important distinction. Laughing
Liveleak? Can't find...

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'm not sure that Robocar could have avoided hitting her, but I'm very sure that it should have reacted in some way when it was clear even to the... human... in the vehicle that there was spam slap bang in front of it.

Unless it detected kittens to the left, puppies to the right, and a tailgating truck full of ickle babby ferrets, and determined that slaughtering the pedalist was the solution to that particular trolley problem.

It's probably programmed to hit an unavoidable target with the least amount of action to cause further problems to other road users.

Quite smart really, as what if the car swerved successfully to avoid her, but surrounding cars behind and to the side all swerved and caused a huge pile up, killing her and 12 others?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:39 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Quite smart really, as what if the car swerved successfully to avoid her, but surrounding cars behind and to the side all swerved and caused a huge pile up, killing her and 12 others?

Yes the road look busy Smile I thought they were meant to know what other vehicles are around them?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:52 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
It's probably programmed to hit an unavoidable target with the least amount of action to cause further problems to other road users.

If it's a homeless and/or pedalist?

Pjay wrote:
what if the car swerved successfully to avoid her

What if it braked? Every little helps.

Pjay wrote:
surrounding cars behind and to the side

There weren't any. I thought you said that Robocar was better than a human driver?

You didn't answer the question about how well lidar works in the dark. Is it a secret?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:56 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Pjay wrote:
what if the car swerved successfully to avoid her

What if it braked? Every little helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeUX6LABCEA ...so remember kids there's no need to brake if you're doing the typical built-up area speed limit Thumbs Up

Last edited by M.C on 23:57 - 22 Mar 2018; edited 1 time in total

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:56 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
There weren't any. I thought you said that Robocar was better than a human driver?

There may have been cars behind, it's not clear from the vidya.

Rogerborg wrote:
You didn't answer the question about how well lidar works in the dark. Is it a secret?

The Li in Lidar could mean 'light'.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:01 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

There may have been cars behind, it's not clear from the vidya.

So rather than possibly damaging a fellow automobile it happily ploughed through the squidgy human? Smile

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
So rather than possibly damaging a fellow automobile it happily ploughed through the squidgy human? Smile

Well yes, if a human is stupid enough to put him/herself in the path of an incoming vehicle, why should anyone else suffer?

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Robocar has no feelings. Listen, and understand! That Robocar is out there! It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop... ever, until you are dead!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 00:20 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Well yes, if a human is stupid enough to put him/herself in the path of an incoming vehicle, why should anyone else suffer?

I'm all for decreasing the surplus population, but nobody would have suffered there if Robocar had thrown on the anchors.

It's abundantly clear from the footage that there was nothing behind or around Robocar, unless it was some super-stealthmobile without any lights.

On that...

Pjay wrote:

It could and it does. Emitted light. It's radar with a different wavelength.

Wait - do you think darkness absorbs light? Maybe that's why we couldn't see all the surrounding traffic. Thinking

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:27 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
M.C wrote:

Oh I'm all for driverless cars if that's how they're meant to work, it'll be like real-life GTA. However I assume computer said nothing rather than no.

Rogerborg wrote:
Pjay wrote:

It could and it does. Emitted light. It's radar with a different wavelength.

Wait - do you think darkness absorbs light? Maybe that's why we couldn't see all the surrounding traffic. Thinking

Isn't Lidar completely flummoxed by rain? Fair weather Ubers Folded arms

Edit: Ford reckon they can navigate snow/rain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY7O_-nWUbk

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think it's all a storm in a teacup.

There will be many more deaths on the road with autonomous cars 'at fault', but there will be less overall once all cars are computer controlled.

Let's face it, we can't as humans compete with the processing speeds of a computerised system. Sure the system needs tweaking, but a couple of hundred deaths to save hundreds of thousands is well worth it.

The YOLO system will probably be the overall winner in the race for AI systems controlling what cars see.

Progress is costly, we all should be prepared to sacrifice for the greater good.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:44 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

I could argue the same about hopping into an autonomous metal box. If you want to let the auto pilot take over,
then by doing so you also should automatically be held responsible if it 'malfunctions'. That should be the price of
sitting there on your phone in la la land instead of concentrating on the roads. If you don't want to be culpable when
the tech fails, then don't rely on the tech, which is an unwanted answer to a non problem anyway IMO. Our greatest
minds seem to be unable to get a few sets of traffic lights to phase correctly or handle the logistics of keeping bread on
the shelves during 2 inches of snow for two days. I'm not brimming with faith in this new next big thing tbh,
it seems its obvious flaws are glossed over in the name of 'progress'. A well practiced government tactic on a number
of tricky subjects. A cynic might think the current Government has a few big contracts relying on this driverless
cars thing being pushed through with no thought of what has to be lost to make way for it. Now where have we seen this before? Thinking

BTW, I do love how Uber is finding ways to put its own workforce out of a job. (I grudgingly suppose it might reduce
their sexual offence rate a bit, when a simple ban on employing Koran readers would suffice and offer superior results.)
But still it kind of reminds me of https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-120cbc6406a6ed57feead24c37ee8489-c
Like so many of these gimmicky things it's just bandwagon politics. And as this case demonstrates quite poetically, extremely
short sighted. (Toosooon?)

Pjay wrote:

Progress is costly, we all should be prepared to sacrifice for the greater good.

I think we're already sacrificing quite enough for this 'greater good' without being asked what we want thank you.
It's already cost us our capital city, with the others not that far behind. I'm guessing you stand to profit in some way
from the driverless cars fad since you are such an advocate. Because as a motorcyclist I believe resisting these things
wholeheartedly means we'll all be able to hang on to our bikes a little bit longer before they are outlawed
for being incompatible with other traffic. Since they can't really be easily automated like cars can, they'll just be
banned instead. Mark my words.

Last edited by grr666 on 00:57 - 23 Mar 2018; edited 1 time in total

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:55 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
There will be many more deaths on the road with autonomous cars 'at fault', but there will be less overall once all cars are computer controlled.

What year will that be? That's my problem, I don't see how meatbag drivers and autonomous vehicles can mix. I also doubt they can cope with our roads. If they're crashing on freeways and grid plan towns in the states, what hope do they have with our clusterfuck of a road network?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:06 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Watch out around Milton Keynes, there are self-driving Range Rovers and Jaguars "learning" how to navigate the roads, according to the TV news.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:45 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

You've convinced me that there would certainly be merit in removing some people from the gene pool. Thumbs Up

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:33 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooburhooman Hair Band.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:31 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
[

This is exactly the thinking behind the idea self driven cars will be overall safer. The computer will make the best choice for the least overall casualties. A human driver will always by instinct act in their own interest even if the passengers all die or the primary cause of reacting is avoided hitting.

Makes good sense until you consider the computer may happily kill you on your bike on your own rather than the bus full of kids. Shocked

Mind you I feel overall computer driven cars will probably reduce hazards for bikers from cars.

I think anti collision detection rather like aircraft can have would be a good thing.

Last edited by Ribenapigeon on 01:38 - 25 Mar 2018; edited 1 time in total

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:37 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

You've convinced me that there would certainly be merit in removing some people from the gene pool. Thumbs Up

No way Roger. We should keep you for your usefulness as........ The Last Taxpayer On Earth........

No way Tom Cruise gets to play you in the movie though. You'll have to settle for a computer generated Bernard Cribbins.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I'm guessing you stand to profit in some way
from the driverless cars fad

I could be biased, it's true.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 30 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Uber paid up already to make some uncomfortable aspects go away.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/car-technology/a19632453/uber-settles-with-family-of-woman-killed-by-self-driving-car/

Hush money.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 22 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5