Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which NSR reed and filter do I use?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

ZaphodBeeble
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:52 - 24 Aug 2004    Post subject: Which NSR reed and filter do I use? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Just bought a '99 NSR Thumbs Up Wink

I'm going to take it apart and give it a damn good going over before I ride it so I thought I'd order some better components to fit while I'm at it.

I thought I'd get some better reeds for it and maybe a cone filter. I need to know what (in your opinion) are the best ones to buy.

Also, I think I'll need to re-jet the carb if I put a cone filter on it, so how do I do that? How do I know what size jets to use? I can do the work, that's easy, it's just knowing what jet size and mixture setting to use.

Cheers guys. Thumbs Up

bikedudextrm
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:41 - 24 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you will have to up jet the carb if you fit a cone type air filter as it will let in alot more air so you need more petrol going in to compensate.

To up jet you will have to take the carb off, turn it up side down and let all the fuel drain out, then just undo the screw's on the bottom of the carb to take of the bottom part of the carb. This will expose the jets, the main jet is usually the one in the middle so just unscrew it and replace with what ever size jet needed.

It's best if you look in the work shop manual for your bike as it gives you a full step by step guide, some one on the site should be able to give the link to a site to download it.

Also there is no set guide to jetting, it's just a case of trial and error. Start from a main jet about 10 sizes larger than standard and just work your way down until it's running right. Also check the colour of the base of the plug, you want it to be a nice tanned colour and if it's too light or dark it means your bike ain't properly jetted.

https://www.bikepics.com/members/bikedudextrm/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 24 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I would not even bother changing the reeds, it will not make a difference, just stick with the standard ones. By all means check that they are ok if you want to. As for the air filter, doubt that will make any difference either to power but I would imagine it will create more noise and the hassle of messing about with the jetting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ZaphodBeeble
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 24 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be an increase in power. If there is more air and fuel going into the engine then I imagine that the engine will produce (slightly) more power. It will also make it a lot easier to work on the bike in the future as the HUGE airbox won't be in the way.

I don't mind re-jetting as long as I know how to tell when it's right.

I also don't need to know how to take the carb apart as I have done that many times. Wink I've just never altered the jets or messed with mixture. Rolling Eyes

I won't bother with the new reeds if you think it won't make a difference then. I'll just clean everything... Twisted Evil

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:55 - 24 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I agree about the air box being annoying Doh! Mine just does not fit right and gets in the way of everything, I had to seal up the hose that connects to it with silicone because the air box is at the wrong angle for it to go in. How much are the cone filters?

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 24 Aug 2004    Post subject: cones Reply with quote

they are not very expensive , but remember that the air intake has been made to guide the air in the airbox , so at high speed you may have trouble with the mixture . what i will recommand is to make the filter-carb entry a bit bigger .

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 24 Aug 2004    Post subject: Re: cones Reply with quote

alains wrote:
they are not very expensive , but remember that the air intake has been made to guide the air in the airbox

I am a bit dubios about the "aero intake system" on the nsr. I mean the tubes just lead into the front of the fairing, the air box is behind the tank facing towards the back of the bike, it just sort of wafts air in the general direction of the intake Razz. So don't see how having a cone filter would affect getting air into the carburettor.

alains
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 24 Aug 2004    Post subject: air Reply with quote

according to my friends (owners of nsr) they never put cones into their bikes because the cones will be durty quite quicly which affect the mixture and you knox that poor mixture make piston breaking ..the only way to make the box bigger is to adapt a conic entry at the base of the air box , take out of the right pipe the wiring and to guide it outside . also the foam can be exchange with kitchen loo-vent filter
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 243 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1