Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit negotiations

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:32 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
May's a dead woman walking. She'll never get this through parliament if she can't get her own party onside.

True. Labour have been just waiting to reject any deal. To paraphrase chickenstrip (I think it was) some while back, Labour would throw the country under a bus in return for a chance to grab power.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:54 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
May's a dead woman walking. She'll never get this through parliament if she can't get her own party onside.

True. Labour have been just waiting to reject any deal. To paraphrase chickenstrip (I think it was) some while back, Labour would throw the country under a bus in return for a chance to grab power.

That was me Folded arms but yes Labour want yet another election. It's strange, the general feeling seems to be that remoaners are more happy with this, except for the ones who still think they can stop Brexit with a 'people's vote'.

I'm willing to bet if Corbyn wasn't playing silly bollocks they'd back May's deal, the only way I can see her narrowly getting it through is if she gets the DUP onside, and some Labour MPs go against the Great JC.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:03 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remoan fascists! Good one mdp. Did you make that up yourself or have you been reading the large-print literature again?

I do agree with you on one point though - what is on offer is nothing at all and a hefty price to pay for nothing. I don't think any party should accept it.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definition of fascism - an authoritarian and nationalistic right-wing system of government and social organization.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Labour and Conservatives are forgetting is why this is happening in the first place. The people wanted it.
UKIP grabbed loads of seats and it shook them both to the core, so a referendum was put up, in the hope that being rushed, people would bottle out and vote to stay in the EU.
Well that backfired and so now it's turned into a point scoring episode, rather than a focused removal.

The problem being, UKIP will just jump to the fore again, if all this goes tits up and gain power.

Then we are proper fucked.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:41 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather the Monster raving loony party than Labour.

UKIP couldn't do any worse than any of the choices we have now.

Sadly, if parliament reject this deal (which they will) I can see the 'peoples vote' Puke being implemented with a remain choice. I wonder if that was a back up plan all along.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Sadly, if parliament reject this deal (which they will) I can see the 'peoples vote' Puke being implemented with a remain choice. I wonder if that was a back up plan all along.

+1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised...

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
What Labour and Conservatives are forgetting is why this is happening in the first place. The people wanted it.
UKIP grabbed loads of seats and it shook them both to the core, so a referendum was put up, in the hope that being rushed, people would bottle out and vote to stay in the EU.
Well that backfired and so now it's turned into a point scoring episode, rather than a focused removal.

The problem being, UKIP will just jump to the fore again, if all this goes tits up and gain power.

Then we are proper fucked.

Eh? When did that happen?

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
Eh? When did that happen?

In the past, generally around 2015-16.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:56 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might help to clarify:

In March 2014, Ofcom awarded UKIP "major party status".[70] In the 2014 local elections, UKIP won 163 seats, an increase of 128, but did not take control of any council.[71] In the 2014 European Parliament elections, UKIP received the greatest number of votes (27.5%) of any British party, producing 24 MEPs.[72][73] The party won seats in every region of Britain, including its first in Scotland.[74] It made strong gains in traditionally Labour voting areas within Wales and the North of England; it for instance came either first or second in all 72 council areas of the latter.[75] The victory established Farage and UKIP as "truly household names".[76] It was the first time since 1906 that a party other than Labour or the Conservatives had won the most votes in a UK-wide election.[77]

UKIP gained its first MP when Conservative defector Douglas Carswell won the seat of Clacton during a October 2014 by-election.[78][79] In November fellow Conservative defector Mark Reckless became UKIP's second MP in a Rochester and Strood by-election.[80][81] In the 2015 general election, UKIP secured over 3.8 million votes (12.6% of the total), replacing the Liberal Democrats as the third most popular party, but only secured one seat,[82] with Carswell retaining his seat and Reckless losing his.[83][84] In the run-up to the election, Farage stated that he would resign as party leader if he did not win South Thanet.[85][86] On failing to do so, he resigned,[87][88] although was reinstated three days later when the NEC rejected his resignation.[89][90] A period of 'civil war' broke out among senior membership between those who favoured Farage's leadership and those seeking a change.[91] In the 2016 National Assembly for Wales election, UKIP nearly tripled their share of votes (from 4.7 per cent to 12.5 per cent) and won seven seats.[92]

To counter the loss of further votes to UKIP, the governing Conservatives promised a referendum on the UK's continued membership of the EU.[93] Rather than taking part in the official Vote Leave campaign, to which various Eurosceptic Conservative and Labour politicians were linked, UKIP affiliated itself with the Leave.EU campaign group.[94] Farage gained regular press coverage during the campaign, in which Leave.EU emphasised what it characterised as the negative impact of immigration on local communities and public services.[94] The June 2016 referendum produced a 51.89% majority in favour of leaving the EU: the accomplishment of UKIP's raison d'être raised questions about the party's future.[95] The loss of its MEPs would result in the loss of its primary institutional representation and a key source of its funding.[96]

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The irony here is that May has got the best deal that can be achieved but the gammons are more angry then ever.

Note this is the Withdrawal agreement not the actual trade deal the needs to be negotiated.

All this nonsense about the UK been tied to EU forever, it's a lie. UK parliament is still sovereign and can crash out ANY time after Dec 2020 if there is no future trade deal agreed until then.

Think of it as insurance policy - you can cancel any time, the only problem is you will drive uninsured

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because UKIP can't even keep a leader for more than 5 minutes, never mind provide a stable Government.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigel Farage doesn't worry me personally. I don't have many 'lefty' mates, so no wind-up mileage there either....

What would worry me however is if they polish up Yaxley Lennon (or whatever he is calling himself these days) and present him as a leader, with the backing of Farage. I can see how a combination of the two could appeal to the latent reactionary in a lot of people.

I still think you should have a go though. Born to it!

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you choose to underestimate Mr Lennon. Who else has captured the interest of the media and public recently in the manner that he has? I bet you'd vote for him, and if you would, I imagine lots of others would too...

I thought he changed his name to appeal more to the common man than to avoid a brick through the window? If he were at all interested in keeping a low profile he wouldn't have taken the path he has.

The muppets who were arrested recently were members of an illegal organisation somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan, not because they were 'right wing' - Jacob Rees Mogg and my mother-in-law are 'right wing', fundamental difference.

If it something you believe in, what is wrong with getting locked up for it? Getting locked up didn't do Adolf's career much harm...

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 15 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know what I love about the photo allegedly showing TR's house post party?

It's been going on for donkeys with non English on the receiving end of all sorts of similar/worse repercussions, and not a peep.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 161 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next
Page 53 of 56