Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Brexit negotiations

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:37 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
M.C wrote:
It does seem like the EU have us by the balls for as long as they want (maybe that was the plan).

When we leave the EU we will be sovereign and independent.

Leaving is the greatest prize for that reason.

Once independent, we can decide to do what we want.

Telling them to "get stuffed we no longer want your transition deal or future trade deal" would not be ideal, but of course it could be done.

What I like to know (which we probably never will) is how close David Davis was to a deal. Was his 80% agreed deal genuinely going nowhere, when Theresa rode in to rescue a forlorn process, or did she brexit-block him.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
Well, I've read a few analyses now.
I understand that it would make sense not to dump everything cold immediately. My concern is that after the transitional period, the EU would remain completely inflexible, and we'd then be stuck with this as permanently binding. Which unfortunately I think would be the case, going on their past performance. I have no reason to believe otherwise. It is not nearly satisfactory as a permanent agreement.

Someone on the TV last night was making exactly the same point I've been making.

Remainers hate the deal. Why? Because with the deal, we would be out of the EU on March 29th., and they would have lost.

If they can bad-mouth the deal and make it so that it's not acceptable, it's more likely that the fear factor will be such that we won't leave the EU at all on March 29th.

So, that's why there've been howls from Remainersof "Argh it keeps us close to the UE therefore it;'s rubbish and we must not have it".

Obvious if you care to think about it. Why would they say that, when they want to keep us not just close, but in? Why bad mouth the thing at all? Ah, you say, it's so that Leavers will be scared and won't go for it.

Then the Remainers are likely to keep us in.

So, when you hear someone saying "It's very bad, they are most likely to be a Remainer (although they could be a Leaver who's taken their propaganda to heart).

Remainers are out of the equation as far as I'm concerned. They lost. They need to either accept that, or do that Roman thing and end it honourably. For some of them, I'd recommend that in any case Laughing Hey, at least it's a European solution for them Smile

All I see now is this deal, or no deal. The EU are making it plain that they haven't even decided that they will sign this draft off. Which means there's absolutely no chance of anything better for us. None. This or nothing.

So if we are to stick to democratic values, we must either accept this with the very real danger that after the transition period we'll get nothing else, or we just walk.

Any repeat vote with the remain option in it means democracy is over for this country. Any attempt to sit on our hands and say that we'll just stay as we are will mean the same. It's that simple.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
All I see now is this deal, or no deal.

The big problem is that "no deal" could easily turn into "No Brexit".

That's what the fellow up there ^ just cannot get his head around, with all this stupid, *stupid* conspiracy theory rubbish. There is no "staying half in". We leave, or we do not leave. What's so difficult about "The European Communities Act 1972 is repealed on exit day" I cannot guess, but ho hum.

If it looks like "no deal", it is most likely that exit day will not actually happen. If exit day happens, we are out; there is no "in between". Going back to the point about the remainers hating the deal, perhaps you can see that? Instead of being "Remainers", they'd have to be "Rejoiners", and that would be far, far more difficult for them.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:12 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
The EU are making it plain that they haven't even decided that they will sign this draft off. Which means there's absolutely no chance of anything better for us. None. This or nothing.

So if we are to stick to democratic values, we must either accept this with the very real danger that after the transition period we'll get nothing else, or we just walk.

Any repeat vote with the remain option in it means democracy is over for this country. Any attempt to sit on our hands and say that we'll just stay as we are will mean the same. It's that simple.

The EU are likely to take this deal, after all they've been negotiating with us for it. Yes, it is unlikely that there will be anything different on offer.

Remember also that there are three stages, in order, which seems, but isn't, complex:

1) Leaving. A.50 and the EU (Withdrawal) Act, 2018.

2) A transition arrangement (hopefully, this is what's in the news now).

3) A trade deal.

They are all distinct separate steps.

The "backstpo" is what's supposed to happen if there's no trade deal.

Leaving, stage 1, is key to everything.

Now, with "democratic values", we've got a big problem. A minority of people see nothing at all wrong with doing away with them; in fact they'd *love* to do that. Leaging - stage 1 - is not guranteed.

Again, leavers WILL manipulate opinion, even remainer opinion where they can, by saying that "if we have this deal it's bad!". Well, they're right, it will be damn' bad for thgem, because we WILL have left!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:46 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

Now, with "democratic values", we've got a big problem. A minority of people see nothing at all wrong with doing away with them; in fact they'd *love* to do that.

As long as it remains a minority, we should be ok. I suspect it will become a more vociferous argument for the Leave camp if there is a hint of a remain vote coming back to haunt us.

I wonder what that minority you're referring to want instead of democracy, after this is all settled one way or another. Oligarchy of the corporations?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:02 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hypothetically if this was David Davis' awesome 100% special Brexit deal on the table, wouldn't the situation be exactly the same? Labour wouldn't vote for it, the question would be if the Tories would be more united behind it, and if the DUP would be onboard (AFAIK they still aren't with May's deal).

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 17 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Now, with "democratic values", we've got a big problem. A minority of people see nothing at all wrong with doing away with them; in fact they'd *love* to do that.

As long as it remains a minority, we should be ok

I think it's already a significant problem. It is, though, the same people doing the same things, i.e. "the peoples vote" petition voters include the people who "marched", and includes the people who... etc.

One of the reasons, perhaps the main reason, I hope this draft agreement gets through.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:26 - 25 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
May has cobbled some fudge this evening to be read by all the government tonight.

Ermm....Brexit Deal - if you think you need to read the actual 400 pages deal to know it's much worst that our current EU membership you really need help. Fact.

What now?

- Cabinet backs deal Chequered Flag
- Parliament rejects deal
- Lab calls vote of no confidence, loses
- Markets tank
- Gilt yields rise
- Theresa "the broken promise" May offers referendum on Remain/No deal

UK stays in the EU and recovers the £60 billions losses 2022. 2025 everything is as it was 2015. Almost. Minus the OAPs that voted for this BS 2016.

HTH

Coughs...I told you so Laughing

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Val wrote:
May has cobbled some fudge this evening to be read by all the government tonight.

Ermm....Brexit Deal - if you think you need to read the actual 400 pages deal to know it's much worst that our current EU membership you really need help. Fact.

What now?

- Markets tank
- Gilt yields rise

UK stays in the EU and recovers the £60 billions losses 2022. 2025 everything is as it was 2015. Almost. Minus the OAPs that voted for this BS 2016.

HTH

Told what "lol"? We've only got to the first point above.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Val wrote:

What now?

- Markets tank
- Gilt yields rise

HTH

People keep getting older, thats the beauty of it Laughing

Do you not think, your idea must be pretty wank if people need to die to try and win ?
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

At what age to people flip from Remain to Leave? Is Val busy murdering pensioners to get his way?

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
At what age to people flip from Remain to Leave? Is Val busy murdering pensioners to get his way?

People start to have more conservative views as they hit their 40's

Remainers are mostly young leftists.
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 17 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Is that years or pensioners?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 123 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56
Page 56 of 56