Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Thinking of a Honda CBR300R wait before parting with cash

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:49 - 21 Jul 2016    Post subject: Thinking of a Honda CBR300R wait before parting with cash Reply with quote

Hi
Just a heads up Honda North America has issued a stop sale for their CBF/CBR300, and a recall seems to be on the way, faulty little end bearing which will require the whole engine stripped and crank replaced apparently even on new unsold bikes as well.

https://www.cbr300forum.com/forum/warranty-service-issues/18378-new-recall-pending-2015-2016-cbr300r-cb300f.html

I have contacted Honda UK twice by phone and they have not replied when they said they would which is no suprise, my bike is just a year old and if it needs stripping i would like to know can it be rejected as not fit for purpose?, its starting to appear on other biking websites so Im assuming it wont be worth shit when I come to move up next spring.
Im trying to find there email addy so I can keep a record of my contacts with them. Not sure where to go from here.

Mark

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 21 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoah, glad the mrs decided against the cbr300 even more now

value wise I don't think it'll take too much of a hit as long as you say the recall work has been done and have something down on paper to prove it

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 21 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell the dealer you will accept a CRF450R engine transplant as a settlement instead! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 21 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Tell the dealer you will accept a CRF450R engine transplant as a settlement instead! Laughing

Yeah that would do. Very Happy

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 08 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda UK replied to my emails and said there are no recalls for UK versions of the CBR300R.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:10 - 08 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your VIN number in the affected range from the original report?

Did you buy new? Outright or full HP rather than PCP, so you can't just walk away from it? Sad

Wild guess, did they just increase the bore and torque without upgrading anything else? Thinking

Your cause of action would be the loss of value from the uncertainty over the reliability. However, that'll be reeeeally tricky to calculate or prove, especially as so few of the 300Rs have been sold in the UK anyway.

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 09 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg, I bought new, they are sure it does not effect UK bikes so I have that in writing, bike has nearly 7k on it now with no problems with the crank.

BrownTrousers
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:51 - 09 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Competition from Yamaha also being recalled

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:43 - 09 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Is your VIN number in the affected range from the original report?

He still wondered.

Chevvchelios1...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:52 - 10 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow not what you would expect from such a company

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 10 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrownTrousers wrote:

Sophs R3 is in this recall we've discovered. Dealers awaiting the parts

bandit1990
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:55 - 11 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

would rather have a R3 tbh, better looks and slightly faster on striaghts, the honda felt a bit cheaply made to me

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 11 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the 300 to commute on and in that respect its great, returning over 90mpg (best was 97mpg), giving it some still gets 80+, although I want something thats more relaxed next without doing 7k rpm, was thinking a NC750 in the spring just before the warranty goes. Ridden through the winter and no rust at all on it so its build quality seems fine.

Last edited by Mark65 on 12:53 - 11 Aug 2016; edited 1 time in total

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 11 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going from one extreme to the other there.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 11 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
You're going from one extreme to the other there.

From a CG, the CBR was a step up but im not over keen on high revving engines although this isnt too high, just want something that pulls well, good on fuel and comfy, doesnt need to do 150mph or scream its arse off. Also prefer to do own servicing without having to pull the top end apart to do valves.

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So too update this

This morning without any warning and right after I filled it up with fuel my engine decided to shit itself, clanck clanck clank, luckily it happened at 30 mph not 60mph or more when the noise started and I was only 1/4 mile from home so I limped home at 10mph. Took my helmet off and frig me it sounded shagged. it sounded normal 5 minutes before and it has just under 8800 miles on it. Thanks very much Honda you wankers Middle Finger .

It seems that all 15/16 CBR300 need there crankshafts replacing under the recal guise of bearing retainer may fail.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:42 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too late now, but of course it's best to not carry on once you hear the death-rattle. (I say having done another lap of silverstone, thinking it must have been something caught in a fairing or something).

Faster wouldn't have made much difference if got home.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark65 wrote:
So too update this

This morning without any warning and right after I filled it up with fuel my engine decided to shit itself, clanck clanck clank, luckily it happened at 30 mph not 60mph or more when the noise started and I was only 1/4 mile from home so I limped home at 10mph. Took my helmet off and frig me it sounded shagged. it sounded normal 5 minutes before and it has just under 8800 miles on it. Thanks very much Honda you wankers Middle Finger .

It seems that all 15/16 CBR300 need there crankshafts replacing under the recal guise of bearing retainer may fail.

To go back to that post from last year - asking about the NC750 - cos you might seemingly be in the market for new bike now. All I wanted to say was that, even if you warm to the under-square, long stroke laziness of the engine (i.e. I'm not sure I could - not making so little power, at any rate - my w650 had very similar traits and whilst it was sweet to feel that easy low down power, it topped off quite quickly just when you were thinking whoah this is great please never stop) - so even if you warm to that side of it, do take note of the NC's weight.

It is in my view horribly heavy - compare it to similar engined bike, e.g. the Yamaha MT-07. That's a lot of difference. It's like Honda aren't even really trying any more. I've nothing against low powered soft tuned engines but for fucks sake keep the lard down.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:04 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark65 wrote:
they are sure it does not effect UK bikes so I have that in writing

Lying liars and the lies they lie. Well, the good news is that it's just been recalled, so hopefully the warranty claim shouldn't be too much of a wrangle. I'm sure they were just about to write to you...

DVSA wrote:
Improper machining of the crankpin hole, along with sulphur found in the engine oil and traces of coolant which generate hydrogen sulphide, can corrode the silver plating of the connecting rod bearing retainer eventually allowing the bearings to turn and causing the engine to stop.

So, at least you know. Wait, how are "traces of coolant" getting into the oil? I mean, there's no chance that they just over-bored the 250 engine (y no recall?), didn't upgrade anything, and hoped for the best, right?

[*] InB4 "Well, you've only gone and put sulphoid-oil in there, that's caused a thermite reaction, that has. Owner abuse, mate."

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:53 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got offered warranty job before though right.

They'll prob just new engine that bad boy rather than replace the crankydoodah.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:24 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Oh, yes, ragethread.

I never figured out whether he was fuming because he'd got a recall notice, or because he'd not got one yet.

Either way, the timing is remarkable.

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:42 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he'd spent less time bawwwing on the forum and more time getting the bike booked in for it's recall work this issue could have been avoided.

Lesson in life, less crying like a little bitch, more getting things sorted leads to less stress.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

Oh, yes, ragethread.

I never figured out whether he was fuming because he'd got a recall notice, or because he'd not got one yet.

Either way, the timing is remarkable.

I was about to try and find that thread - I didn't realise the OP was the same guy.
Although as Paddy says, they'll probably just stick a new engine in - so it might've actually worked out better for OP.

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bikeandrider.co.uk/honda-recalls-408-cbrs-uk-roads/

All 400 bikes need recalling now it seems, waiting on reply from dealer about changing the bike. Salesman said he knows nothing of a recall.
got 3 gallons of fuel to get out tonight.

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:19 - 02 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the end of the day a shop floor salesman is just that a salesman, you're lucky if they even know the basic details of what they're selling other than "Yeah it's proper shiny innit and it'll go some" (even if this is bollocks they know it's what most people want to hear).

I can't see you having any issues with getting this sorted if it is indeed the same issue as the recall covers but that's not to say they'll just hand over a new bike.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 74 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3