Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What bike have you toured on and would you do again?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

primalcarl
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:35 - 21 Jul 2016    Post subject: What bike have you toured on and would you do again? Reply with quote

Just curious as to what bikes you bcf'ers have toured on, and what you use the same bike for a similar trip?

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:44 - 21 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toured on lots of bikes over the years but Yamaha FJR1300 has been my tool of choice for 5 years. Multiple European trips and plenty of long days and weekends away at home.

Why do you ask?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:56 - 21 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
Toured on lots of bikes over the years but Yamaha FJR1300 has been my tool of choice for 5 years. Multiple European trips and plenty of long days and weekends away at home.

Why do you ask?

In order to find out? Razz

Fazer 1000. Love it, don't need anything else. Smile
Reason being it's a great all-rounder; I wouldn't want a pure "tourer".
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver_Fox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 21 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBR600F, 50l drybag on the back. Dialled down the rear shock to make long distance more comfortable. 2050 miles in 7 days. Perfect

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13512220_10154378783839390_2459654710276948944_n.jpg?oh=befb57902d41d3952010a4dfe76935ad&oe=583657DA

https://i.imgsafe.org/12d8d901f5.jpg

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:36 - 21 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

R1 to Spain/France/Andorra. Was very good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 21 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old style GSX750F two up with camping gear all over Europe, from the Arctic Circle to the Med. Would do it again on one of these in an instant - comfortable, plenty of poke, could carry enough luggage with a tad of ingenuity and the only time it let me down was in France when I tried to start it one morning and the battery had died.

From chasing Audi Quatros through Norway, Krauts on sportsbikes down the Pyrenees to local youths on scooters round the Med, it did just fine. A tad of brake-fade on the longer descents, that's all....

I still find myself looking for an immaculate, low mileage red, white and black one on't Bay even after 25 years, so that is either a bad case of rose-tinted geps or there was something just right about that bike...

Ammoman
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:01 - 21 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from a fantastic trip through France on my 2013 ZZR1400 couldn't fault the bike at all. Great all rounder..

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 21 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used my Honda 750,Exup1000,R1 and recently my FJ1200.The FJ was far too upright though and I prefer the sport bikes as they held me up off the bars with the pressure of the wind.The FJ fairing is very upright.It aggravated a severe chest injury that I sustained a few years ago and after 50 miles or so,I got he chest pains again,so had to call it a day.Besides,Mrs Fizzer also found the back seat uncomfortable after similar miles Confused

Always have a 'Plan B'

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 21 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ammoman wrote:
Just back from a fantastic trip through France on my 2013 ZZR1400 couldn't fault the bike at all. Great all rounder..

We met a couple near Trento in Italy who were riding a ZZR1400 and were from Scotland.They were fully loaded with all sorts of luggage and I felt that our top box and two panniers looked distinctly insufficient by comparison.

Always have a 'Plan B'

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:03 - 22 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a two-up tourer, the BMW R1200RT is very hard to beat. I hired one in the States for a 3500 mile tour around California and the South West and bought my own for Euro touring.

It came back from Spain with zero chicken strips after thrashing it around the Picos, despite being fully loaded with panniers, top box, tankbag and the missus Thumbs Up The weight doesn't ruin the handling unlike many sportier bikes.

The large tank also means that generally you only need to fill up once per day too, which helps with the average speeds.

It is a bit lardy when ridden solo though.....

Overall, I loved my K1200S for fast solo touring and my current GS LC for two-up touring

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:07 - 22 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deauville 650 - Comfy, lacks overtaking power on autobahn.

V Strom 650 - Generally pretty decent

Transalp 700 - Solid, but poor screen and firm seat

Versys 650 - Light and fun but a bit buzzy.

BMW R1200R - Really good all rounder.

BMW F800GT - Light and quick. Works with raised bars and lowered pegs

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:14 - 22 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC8 - 2 up, never again
Superduke R - 2 up, was fun but luggage was more the issue
KTM adventure 1190 - just perfect

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:24 - 22 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBR600F4 almost perfect. What isn't perfect? Small tank capacity only 17 litres and 155 mile range. Total lack of hard luggage unless you make it yourself... though I did have a hard luggage set on it.

XT600E - teeth chatteringly uncomfortable but capable off road. Not bad but for tarmac never ever ever.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Silver_Fox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 22 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubyhorse2 wrote:
RC8 - 2 up

Shocked

Laughing Laughing Laughing

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 22 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years ago I went to the Netherlands and Germany on my gixer 600, this year I am heading up to Oslo then over to Prague on the same bike. I have a gel seat to make my bum slightly more comfortable!

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 22 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently:

ZX12R - big, comfy, quick, excellent for smashing out motorway miles or cruising at 160 on an Autobahn. Bad at twisty stuff and abysmal fuel consumption despite the 20 litre tank. Excellent for crossing continents and big mileages if you have deep pockets.

ZX6R - smaller, lighter, good in the twisty bits, still really comfy. Can feel a bit under powered in certain situations. Really good all rounder but more suited to A/B roads. Much better on fuel than the 12.

I would take either one again based on the type of touring. Tank range isn't an issue on either, after 120 miles it's time for a break and stretch the legs anyway. Lack of hard luggage means nothing if you have a Kriega US30 and a tank bag, that's enough for 2 weeks.

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:57 - 22 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver_Fox wrote:
rubyhorse2 wrote:
RC8 - 2 up

Shocked

Laughing Laughing Laughing

well everyone says you can tour on any bike lol

Silver_Fox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 22 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt violated just looking at a stationary RC8, let alone trying one 2 up Laughing

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:37 - 22 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my tours have been in the UK.
So far I have used a ZX6r : quick and easy to get where I need to be Smile
I've had a lot more fun using my Hyosung GT250r .

It's a personal thing, but for me the 250 just did it Thumbs Up

As for "would I do it again?" Yes on either bike.
If I am on my own, then it's the 250 (most of the time).
If I was part of a group, then it would be the ZX6r.

primalcarl
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:28 - 25 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, a nice variety of bikes have been used then!

The reason I ask is because I have a Yamaha XJ6N, so a naked bike although I do have a small Yamaha screen on it. Above 60/70mph the wind can be a bit much unless I tuck right down.

You guys on sports bikes, I'm guessing your screens offer a reasonable amount of wind protection? I've never ridden one.

I'm wondering whether to get a cheap Honda Transalp or Pan European etc for travelling, or just go with the xj6.

primalcarl
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:32 - 25 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I was a little concerned about fuel tank range, I hit the reserve after about 140 miles but if you guys have managed ok on sports bikes then I probably don't have to worry too much!

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 25 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double Bubble screens can help a lot with the wind blast and yes the fairing on a sports bike does help keep the wind off. Also helps keep the rain off to a certain extent.

The jump from an XJ6N to a Pan will be massive, the ST1100 weighs in at around 300kg, plus all your luggage on top. I never really gelled with mine and it didn't last long. Yes it was ergonomically comfy but at 6' I couldn't get away from the wind blast. Unless I had a massively tall screen on it just directed it straight at my head, and I don't like looking through a screen. Tall screens lead to wind buffeting which gets tiresome on a long haul.

The fairing on the ZX12 is big and I get a lot less wind blast on that with the double bubble screen. It's quieter and no buffeting so much better for long hauls. Hard work on slow stuff and through town though, that's where something more upright wins on comfort.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:36 - 25 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

primalcarl wrote:
Also I was a little concerned about fuel tank range, I hit the reserve after about 140 miles but if you guys have managed ok on sports bikes then I probably don't have to worry too much!

How many miles do you get out of your reserve? I you ride softly, 20 -30 miles? a bit more?
Unless you`re in the remotes of north Scotishland or Walesland the chances are you will find a petrol station before you run out of gas.

Silver_Fox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 25 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt's right, after 140 miles you should really think about taking a short break anyway

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 25 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thundercat into central Germany a couple of times, plus some weekends away in the UK. Only one-up and only 4 days' stuff (including sleeping stuff but no camping shizzle).

Would do again in a heartbeat.

https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5269/5830188718_729481c512_b.jpg

https://c3.staticflickr.com/4/3179/5830187434_432068d2ab_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5035/5830187736_7c0f18f4c7_b.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 269 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3