Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What bike have you toured on and would you do again?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:50 - 25 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a little fed up with the SDR for tank range. Can get about 110-120 miles out of a tank and i was constantly thinking about it, finding fuel wasnt an issue but it was a niggle in the back of my mind all the time.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 25 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda Varadero 1000, loved every minute in the saddle. Great for steep twisty roads and great motorway mile muncher. Luggage ate all my gear without any trouble.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:09 - 25 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
Thundercat into central Germany a couple of times, plus some weekends away in the UK. Only one-up and only 4 days' stuff (including sleeping stuff but no camping shizzle).

Would do again in a heartbeat.

https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5269/5830188718_729481c512_b.jpg

https://c3.staticflickr.com/4/3179/5830187434_432068d2ab_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5035/5830187736_7c0f18f4c7_b.jpg

I used to work in Germany and took my Thundercat over there in 1999 for a few months. The fuel consumption was amazing on the Autobahn - about 53mpg at 110mph and 45mpg at 130mph on the long quiet unrestricted stretch from the Dutch border to Duisburg Shocked It just lacked grunt two-up, so was swapped for a new VFR800 which was a brilliant all-rounder

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 26 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toured on a few over the years but Kawasaki ZZR1400 has been my tool of choice for 6 years. 2 European trips and weekends away at home.... 160-170 miles then reserve takes you up to 220 miles...
does exactly what it says on the box.

techsnap
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:12 - 26 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from a 4 day trip around Devon and Cornwall from West Sussex on my Deauville 700. 700 miles, solo but with camping gear, food and clothes for 4 days.

That was a perfect tool for the job in my opinion. Easy to pack everything on (using the big Honda top box in addition to the panniers), perfectly capable for cruising at UK legal speeds and coped very well with the hills of Cornwall.

Would I do it on the Deau again - definitely.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

gorillaonabik...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:06 - 28 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

FZR400. Never, ever ever again. The most painful thing I've ever done and back in the 2000s, was voted the world's most uncomfortable bike by Ride.

ZXR750. Ran out of petrol mercifully before I got to the ferry so missed the tour. 70 miles to empty.

ZX6R. Surprisingly comfy. Would do that again.

Blade 2001. No. Always crushed my nuts

Honda CB1300. Might do if it was slow. Lack of fairing was a drag but pretty comfy.

BMW K1300GT. Yes, yes, yes, yes yes. Amazing.

Hornet 600 in there somewhere. Kept running out of petrol. Annoying.
FZR400 (blown engine), ZXR750 (blown engine), ZX6R (accident), CBR600 which had engine issues after which I learned to change gear..., CBR900, CBR924 (stolen), CB600, CB1300 (everything blew up), BMW K1300GT (written off, hit from rear while stationary), Bandit 1250 for a couple of months, Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (nicked) and somewhere in there, I wrote off a Ducati 748 at Cadwell.

D_redd
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:33 - 28 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
A couple of years ago I went to the Netherlands and Germany on my gixer 600, this year I am heading up to Oslo then over to Prague on the same bike. I have a gel seat to make my bum slightly more comfortable!

Which gel seat waffles please?

Tanks

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 28 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did 600 miles the other weekend on my Blackbird, was a total pleasure. Comfy, smooth, quick. Great to travel motorway distance and kept up in the twisties, but wasn't very good in singletrack lanes with grit and crap on the road.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:11 - 28 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldwings - 1200, 1500 and 1800. The 1800 wins by a mile for comfort, handling, engine and ease of rear wheel removal (SS swing arm)

Hayabusa, - 2007 model which was the last of the gen 1. Loved it for it's power and speed but got uncomfortable over a long day. Also soft luggage Thumbs Down

Triumph Tiger 955i - Incredibly comfortable.

Triumph Tiger Explorer - As above but with shaft drive and a much better engine.

Triumph Trophy SE - Bloody lovely with every conceivable extra. Electric screen, heated seats and grips, stereo, shaft drive, full hard luggage, multiple power take offs including in the topbox, etc. etc. Can do 400 miles without an ache anywhere. Love it.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:19 - 28 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Triumph Trophy SE - Bloody lovely with every conceivable extra. Electric screen, heated seats and grips, stereo, shaft drive, full hard luggage, multiple power take offs including in the topbox, etc. etc. Can do 400 miles without an ache anywhere. Love it.

What are they like when you hit the twisty stuff?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:35 - 28 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

What are they like when you hit the twisty stuff?

Surprisingly good for a 300kg bike. The suspension is all electronic so you can adjust it on the move if you need to. Obviously It's not going to hold a candle to a sports bike but you can hustle it along the twisities pretty well. It reaslly doesn't feel that heavy when you are on the move but it's a big lump to push around when you are stopped. No reverse like a Goldwing Crying or Very sad

It also has linked brakes, traction control and full ABS and while I'm not a fan of linked brakes if you overcook it you cam stamp on the rear brake pedal and it will balance out the braking between front and rear to stop you without locking up. Witchcraft. Laughing

I would put it in the same group as the Goldwing, a full blooded tourer but the yanks lump it with the FJR, the GTR and the K1600GT rather than the Goldwing.

D_redd
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:13 - 28 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a tour of Snetterton circuit on my GSXR750 a few times. I'd defo do that again Wink

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 28 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 929/954 Fireblade is genuinely the greatest touring bike ever created.

You are doing it wrong if you take anything else.

It's just science.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:14 - 28 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aff wrote:
A 929/954 Fireblade is genuinely the greatest touring bike ever created.

You are doing it wrong if you take anything else.

It's just science.

Give it 20 years and see if you're still saying that, sprog Wink
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

primalcarl
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:18 - 28 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

D_redd wrote:
I did a tour of Snetterton circuit on my GSXR750 a few times. I'd defo do that again Wink

What model was it? Someone has offered a K1 in PX for my my xj6n, but not sure if I'll be much better off!
Gone but not forgotten This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Gone but not forgotten This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

c-m
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 15 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPZ500 - 5,500 miles around Europe, partially two-up. Yep I'd go again
ZXR750 - 3,500 miles Europe - two-up - Yep fun bike and good on fuel
ZX9R - 2x3000 miles Europe - once solo, once two-up, excellent bike, would do it again.
F650 - 3,000 miles - Spain - two-up, a bit slow, but not bad. Probably not again
F650 - 3,000 miles - Hungary - solo, excellent on back roads - too much motorway to go again though.
G650 xCountry - 4,000 miles - Morocco - good off road, slow on the Spanish highway. Would prefer a 21" and 18" wheel combo. Would consider
G650 xCountry - 10,000 miles - South America - mostly two-up. Bar a problem with the rear shock is was good off road, but not a continent crosser. Would not do the same again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

alan29
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:50 - 16 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 up. Full Luggage. South of France. DL650 twice - excellent. Needed some nifty gear changes on the hairpins. 65mpg over all.
Same load. Austria, Grossglockner. Varadero 1000 - superb, made for it.

D_redd
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:25 - 16 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

primalcarl wrote:
D_redd wrote:

What model was it? Someone has offered a K1 in PX for my my xj6n, but not sure if I'll be much better off!

Oh Lordy, sorry for the delayed response! Mine is a K8. Love it, long time.

devonboy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:59 - 17 Sep 2016    Post subject: what Bike have you toured on Reply with quote

FS1E just after leaving school 1978
Kawaski KE 175
KH 250
Z250 around Brittany
GT 550
after along break 2 up on a Piaggio Xevo again around Brittany
KLE 500 big tour all around France 2 up because some BM GS rider said you can't.
Versys 650.
Enjoyed everyone for different reasons.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 17 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toured Ireland on the R125 last year.

Let's just say that it felt like an achievement, of sorts. Laughing

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:49 - 19 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enfield bullet. Superb. Would tour on again (see link in sig).

VFR750. Again, excellent. As good as the bullet, only a lot faster.

KLE500. Harder work but still fun. Less comfortable saddle and diddy tank range don't help.

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 19 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotland (1600+ miles) on a FireBlade and yes I would again Smile

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4132/4989207609_9ee5573a3b_b.jpg

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 19 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

1998, ZZR1100, to Faro via Germany (New bike, Autobahn, nuff said). Back via Germany again (On my own this time).

Lovely big wafty bike with a fuckload of get up and go (even now). No issue getting all the gear on the back of it.

It's a lot of bike for not much money now. If I thought my wrists could deal with it, I'd get another in a heartbeat.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 214 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3