Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What bike have you toured on and would you do again?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 20 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CB400 Super Four. Quality machine, a bit small but by the time you start to notice you need fuel anyway. It's fine on my own as I can go my own pace, but when we were doing the euro-trip a couple of weeks ago it was obvious I had about half the power of the next smallest bike as it spent four days on the throttle stop.

If I had all the time in the world to go where I wanted, I would take the TTR250 and put a little screen on it and a slightly bigger tank maybe some super-moto wheels to make tyre choice easier. That is my favourite bike I've ever owned.

devon-boy, where did you go on the KE175, what was it like? That sounds like it might be right down my street. Thumbs Up
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Groove
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 23 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

K6 GSXR 1000 - 1000 miles in 4 or 5 days in the Lake District (coming from Suffolk).

Absolutely perfect after the hard slog up to the lakes, sublime on the open twisty bits. Had the best fuel econnonmy out of the 6 other bikes (GTR1400, ZZR1400, FJR1300, Speed Tripple, VFR1200 etc)

Horrible on when stuck behind a stream of cars on narrow passes when in a group of other bikes not wanting to get split up (1st gear 10-20mph for what seemed like an eternity). Aching arms and legs and back and arse.

Horrible when sitting on the motorway for 300 miles too!

I wouldnt not do it again, but id rather something a bit less forgiving on the limbs and arse without sacrificing the enjoyment the of the GSXR when doing the good bits.
|| Past: 1991 Kawasaki ZXR 250 ~ 2003 Honda CBR 600 F Sport ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1999 Yamaha R1 ~ 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R J ~ 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R B1H 636 ~ 1998 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm ~ K1 GSXR 600 Track bike ~ K6 GSXR 1000 ~ 2006 Speed Triple 1050 || Current: 2005 R1 https://www.adrucore.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

derillius24
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:47 - 23 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

2010: Kawasaki Z750. 3200 miles around Europe in 2012, fully loaded with tank bag, large rucksack and camping equipment - no problem.

2014: Stereet Triple R, 2700 miles around Europe in 2016. No problem at all. Granted, I didn't have a huge amount of luggage with me but it was a dream in the twisties / mountain passes and I didn't ever find it much of a problem on the motorway blasts either.

I'm 6'3", 14 stone, and by no stretch of the imagination a hard bastard - it never really felt like a particularly hardcore effort doing it on a naked bike.

In my opinion, nobody needs a square kilometer of plastic enveloping them to be able to tour on a bike Thumbs Up .

andru8
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:49 - 30 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from Santander down to Gibraltar and back home from Bilbao. This was at the end of march this year. Last year I did Cannes down to the med and then Andorra and Pamplona then home via Santander.

These two trips were don on a Suzuki GSR750 and for me it was absolutely perfect, comfy and great for the twisties that we hunted out.

johnnyarctic
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:26 - 30 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

did my limited touring experience on my old VFR750. loved it on long stints, envious of the guys on sports bikes on the good roads.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:24 - 05 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back from my first little foreign tour (Corfu). Bike: a hired Yamaha XT660Z, high mileage but fantastically well-maintained and serviced.

The ideal bike for that island - it makes the worst condition roads feel like they're paper smooth. Potholes, ruts and breaks are one less thing to worry about when tackling unfamiliar twisty roads and true hairpin bends along the coast and in the mountains. (Just a quick note: these roads aren't for complete noobs!) It will also handle the numerous dirt tracks, sandy beaches and gravelly areas with ease.

The rear tyre had plenty of tread, but there was less downforce on the rear around bends than expected, so it was less suited to my usual 'fun' style of riding. It kept sliding out at the back, a lot. However, traffic around these roads is slow, and it had enough power to pelt around pretty quickly, and get past any other vehicles.

I came back thinking I would like to own one because it's completely indifferent to poor road conditions, but this single cylinder machine was so rough and vibey, that my street bike makes me think again. For the moment I continue to need something a bit lower and quicker in the UK. However, it's perfect for Corfu. The sound it makes is less put-put-put and more bang-bang-bang. The vibrations improve your circulation... Just a bit too tiring for long-distance road riding in the UK or European mainland generally.

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 05 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:
Back from my first little foreign tour (Corfu). Bike: a hired Yamaha XT660Z, high mileage but fantastically well-maintained and serviced.

The ideal bike for that island - it makes the worst condition roads feel like they're paper smooth. Potholes, ruts and breaks are one less thing to worry about when tackling unfamiliar twisty roads and true hairpin bends along the coast and in the mountains. (Just a quick note: these roads aren't for complete noobs!) It will also handle the numerous dirt tracks, sandy beaches and gravelly areas with ease.

The rear tyre had plenty of tread, but there was less downforce on the rear around bends than expected, so it was less suited to my usual 'fun' style of riding. It kept sliding out at the back, a lot. However, traffic around these roads is slow, and it had enough power to pelt around pretty quickly, and get past any other vehicles.

I came back thinking I would like to own one because it's completely indifferent to poor road conditions, but this single cylinder machine was so rough and vibey, that my street bike makes me think again. For the moment I continue to need something a bit lower and quicker in the UK. However, it's perfect for Corfu. The sound it makes is less put-put-put and more bang-bang-bang. The vibrations improve your circulation... Just a bit too tiring for long-distance road riding in the UK or European mainland generally.

What shape was it, the 2008 - present one or the 90's tenere? Just asking because I'm contemplating one, or a Dominator just thinking at the moment, I want a low-tuned 600-700 single next. Thinking
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:40 - 05 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fladdem wrote:
What shape was it, the 2008 - present one or the 90's tenere? Just asking because I'm contemplating one, or a Dominator just thinking at the moment, I want a low-tuned 600-700 single next. Thinking

It was the present one (2008- on). Water-cooled with great brakes, and a little bit more power than its famous predecessor. Apart from being a noisy bone-shaker, it was a really great bike. It has genuine competition heritage, serious off-road capability and is easily serviceable with less to break. Overall, it seems a very rugged bike, with enough power for the road, although as it's quite focussed it takes a little time to build up stamina on it. It would seem a better choice than the KLR 650 (which was my other option).

devonboy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:15 - 06 Oct 2016    Post subject: what bike have you toured on would do so again Reply with quote

Fladdem wrote:
My CB400 Super Four. Quality machine, a bit small but by the time you start to notice you need fuel anyway. It's fine on my own as I can go my own pace, but when we were doing the euro-trip a couple of weeks ago it was obvious I had about half the power of the next smallest bike as it spent four days on the throttle stop.

If I had all the time in the world to go where I wanted, I would take the TTR250 and put a little screen on it and a slightly bigger tank maybe some super-moto wheels to make tyre choice easier. That is my favourite bike I've ever owned.

devon-boy, where did you go on the KE175, what was it like? That sounds like it might be right down my street. Thumbs Up

This was my first new bike back in 1979 and on L plates I rode around Wales, on the fizzy having just left school went to the New forest from Plymouth, the roads were very different then, not so many duel carriage ways.

devonboy
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:21 - 06 Oct 2016    Post subject: what bike have you toured on and would do so again Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Enfield bullet. Superb. Would tour on again (see link in sig).

VFR750. Again, excellent. As good as the bullet, only a lot faster.

KLE500. Harder work but still fun. Less comfortable saddle and diddy tank range don't help.

Hi stinkwheel, so where did you go on the kle?

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 06 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fladdem wrote:
I want a low-tuned 600-700 single next. Thinking

Don't forget the Suzuki XF650 Freewind.
I've no Idea if it's a decent bike or not but I love the name Laughing

TallPaul_S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:13 - 16 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fladdem wrote:

I've done 800 miles in 2 days to Wales, the same over 3 days to Devon, and 1200 miles through France/Belgium/Luxembourg and Germany on my CB400 superfour over the past 2 summers.

Awesome little bike, and great for twisty roads, but too compromised in lots of ways. 55mpg normal MPG which drops to 45mpg on the French/Belgium motorway sitting at 80-85mph, and 9000rpm! When loaded down with 20+kg of luggage you notice the lack of power when coming out of hairpin bends, count to 5, ahhh there's the power! Laughing

Next year my touring will be done on an Aprilia Tuono Factory. 1000cc 140bhp, 80mph cruising is a doddle vs the CB400. And plenty of room for 70+ litres of kriega luggage on the back. it'll see 3500 miles or more on a 2 week Alps trip next August, plus hopefully a shorter trip in June/July time.

Last edited by TallPaul_S on 22:01 - 16 Oct 2016; edited 1 time in total

331X2
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:16 - 16 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago I got back from a 2300 mile trip around Europe on a £500 GPZ500S and I would definitely recommend one for touring on a budget although the squirrely handling (borked unitrak linkage bushes) should have been sorted before I went. 200mile tank range, easy 50+mpg, comfy if not slightly cramped for me at 5'10", nothing fell off or failed other than a caliper seal which was possibly my fault.

I'll possibly tour on it again if it's not been replaced in the meantime, it would make an excellent commuter or cheap touring bike but I feel I could have been on a more fun bike when riding through the passes of the Pyrenees and Alps.

chrisdubya
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:15 - 18 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSXR k4 750 twice around Scotland with little luggage. The first time was in good weather, lovely experience although a bit sore on the arms if stuck in traffic but enough grunt to get past almost anywhere.

The second time, I was a few years older but still a relatively fit mid-20 year old. Weather was shit, cold and wet. Slow traffic. Absolutely crucified me - never been in pain like it on a bike. Wrists, back, shoulders, nut sack.

Went again around Scotland last year, on a naked 1999 Hornet 600 with a little screen on the front. Was bloody brilliant and handled the luggage and distance just fine (standard gearing so fuel economy not too bad - 140 miles until reserve). Heated grips were a life saver. 10/10 would do again but I've since gone back to a GSXR... Embarassed

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:29 - 18 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Le Daytona!

Such reliable
So comfort
Wow

https://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q276/parsalanpark/IMG_1324.jpg

https://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q276/parsalanpark/IMG_1327.jpg

https://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q276/parsalanpark/IMG_1567.jpg

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 02:02 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

XJ600S around Europe, 2 up with luggage and camping stuff. I'd not repeat this now unless I was looking for a solid reason to get divorced.

XJ9s, Tiger900, Guzzi Cali and the Ultra Classic all did repeated similar trips. I'd happily do it again on them, even 2 up 'cept for the Tigger. It was after doing that through the Benelux that I paid for my wife to take her test and bought her a bike of her own.

I'd take any bike on a solo tour.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mawsley wrote:
I'd happily do it again on them, even 2 up 'cept for the Tigger.

Why?

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:50 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
Mawsley wrote:
I'd happily do it again on them, even 2 up 'cept for the Tigger.

Why?

The seat and the screen. And the wife.

Between the three of them they created a Bermuda Triangle where all air vanished and compelled her to headbutt my lid with every throttle movement.

I'm blaming the bike but, thinking back, it could have been that I'd missed a haircut or a meal compliment or something.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:00 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDM has done be proud several times. Never a problem with it barring loose grips (heat melted the glue) and a puncture.

Ireland
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/11150703_10153248758058476_2335300367766793234_n.jpg?oh=d36b78daa291d83735da758ffcfbcfa4&oe=5891959D

France

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/599603_10150946939328476_2001398927_n.jpg?oh=ee481fe7ebb1474ca04d97a54971d497&oe=5863EA17

Austria I think
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/249543_10150193413673476_3787656_n.jpg?oh=14cde3c9d3249fc66917a959ab1f89d3&oe=589F25FB

Have a loose plan to ride to Finland next year. The bike will be 15 years old and have about 100k on it by then Laughing

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 14 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done Scotland on the following bikes:
R1 2001 - fuel consumption was good at 60mpg seat is excellent
R1 2008 - twice but had to use a bean bag cushion seat is meh
GSXR 1000 K5 - this was the best bike ever so comfortable with a gel seat

All of them did 60mpg as i stuck to speed limits as i felt id rather take it in all slowly

was considering doing it on my honda msx 125 but the seat is horrific and painful and i found the sit up position due to wind blast fatigue makes me tire and ache very quickly and thats only at 60mph

Took the R1 2008 model to north wales which was fun but my friend too his pannigle 1199 and was very uncomfortable wanting to stop every 30 miles which was annoying lol
Motorcycle-Vagabonds This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 23 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've toured France, The Netherlands, and Scotland on a s/h Kawasaki Z200 (!) and most of Europe on a 400Four and also a Laverda 1000/750 SF. What bike doesn't matter as long as it is reliable. You don't need to 'make a point' to anyone. Enjoy the ride and the trip. Distance is the drug !.

image riot
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:36 - 25 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've toured Europe on two bikes. Firstly, a Honda Fireblade 929 and a BMW K1200S. Both have been supreme.

https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/cruxiform/Germany%202013/061.jpg

https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y183/cruxiform/France%20and%20Spain%202016/IMG_1128.jpg

I'd tour on anything though.

Billy Balthorpe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 02:34 - 18 Feb 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSXR 750 SRAD with the missus and camping gear, more comfortable than you would think, if you shuffle up to the tank you can sit almost upright.
FJ1100, very good long distance fast tourer (90 -105mph) all day (660 miles) with only a bit of leg dragging every 80 miles or so.
Thunderace 1000, Very good, no problems I can remember. Maybe arse ache after about 250 miles.
Streetfightered '98 Blade, easy on the wrists, hard on the bum.
Fully faired '98 Blade, slightly easier on the bum, easy on the wrists when leaning on the tank bag.
ZRX1200S, don't let that comfy looking seat fool you, its the most painful thing ive ever toured on, bruised my arse, had to put a camping pillow down my trousers on the way home from Corsica but the damage had already been done, never again!
TDM850, very good, a bit of arse ache but not too bad at all.
Fazer 1000, very good, no probs with wrists, arse ache after about 200 miles but ive found that 60 seconds or so of standing on the pegs gives another 40 miles of pain free riding.

By the way, all of these bikes toured over the channel and none of them really broke down seriously.
The FJ split a fuel hose in Fez (Morocco) sorted by cutting it back and re joining to the pump. It also refused to let the ignition key turn for about 5 minutes in Rabat, then never did it again.
The Thunderarse just died on the AutoRoute past Carcassonne, then I realised id hit the kill switch while resting my throttle hand.
That's about it, apart from the GSXR and the ZXR, all these bikes cost less than £1500, in some cases, a hell of a lot less.

Faldo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:19 - 17 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX7R - 9 days around France / Spain

(Different) ZX7R - Isle of Man twice

ZX9R - 7 days around France / Spain

ZX9R - 5 days in Holland

Currently got a TDM850, but didn't fancy doing this years France/Spain trip on it tbh, so have bought a ZZR1400, I pick it up next week.

Next year, Germany, Austria and Italy on the ZZR.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 14 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3