Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New tyre on trackday

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

scmotosc
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:02 - 05 Aug 2016    Post subject: New tyre on trackday Reply with quote

Hi,
First trackday soon, new rear tyre and the bike is not road legal to be able to scrub.

Just wondering if there is any prep that can be done, hear about sanding the tyre.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 05 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What tyre is it? Most tyres give the best grip in the first 20 miles. Use the first session to scrub it progressively, no hard throttle but get it over on the edge, then you should be good to go. I've had road tyres fitted and usually had them scrubbed on the road in 5 - 10 miles. Race tyres then give em 2 laps and go for it. Load of bollocks talked about taling it easy for 60 miles, just arse covering.

OGR

robertw95
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:50 - 06 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using tyre warmers?

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:43 - 06 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mess about with sandpaper or solvents, just ride it. By the time it is up to temperature all over (say 2 laps if a nice day) you will be good to go.

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 06 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue_SV650S wrote:
Don't mess about with sandpaper or solvents, just ride it. By the time it is up to temperature all over (say 2 laps if a nice day) you will be good to go.

100% this.

by the time you've done your warm up laps they'll be good to go.

scmotosc
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:14 - 06 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tyre is a road tyre, a Michelin supersport evo.

I'm not using tyre warmers for the trackday on monday, but will be getting them for future use.

Just concerned with it being my first track day, with hindsight should have bought some scrubbed used tyres. Been searching on the forum and just wondering where you can buy these from.

Thanks for you responses.

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 07 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new tyre is the best thing you could have done as it will give you the best grip and confidence! Is the front almost new too?

If it is your first trackday then presumably you in the novice group? They make you do several sighting laps before letting you loose anyway, which will give you some time to settle in and work the tyre a little. Note though that the sighting laps are normally very slow, so you won't have 'scrubbed' the tyres right to the edge on the sighting laps.

Really don't worry about having a new rear tyre on there - just enjoy yourself.

Last edited by Blue_SV650S on 15:08 - 07 Aug 2016; edited 1 time in total

SIG1981
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:05 - 07 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember my first track experience well , prepped bike with new tyres.

don't do what I did though , as I thought a knew how to ride having had a road bike for years.

1st mistake was coming out of pit lane behind a clearly quick guy who was just out of his tyre warmers , I however was neither.

approached 1st corner on cold new tyres way too quick with both wheels locked - result was skid marks in more than one place and a trip through the gravel trap.
spent the next 5 or so laps looking like a complete novice doing a cbt.

when the tyres were warmed confidence gathered and so did my pace.

never bothered with tyre warmers on any following track days , but I did however always use brand new tyres.

just take your time for the first couple of laps to loose the shine and then increase the pace , if there still a little cold they will soon let you know.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:38 - 07 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wot Blue said. Thumbs Up

Have a look on eBay and motoforum.net for race scrubs. They'll be people on here with them as well.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:31 - 08 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two laps taking it easy should be enough to scrub a tyre in. In fact, I'd say it's easier to scrub a tyre in on a trackday than it is on the road. At least you can be guaranteed to lean right to the edges!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

scmotosc
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:34 - 14 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ended up leaving the tyre before the trackday, took my time on the sighting laps and the first few laps at full speed. Steadily increased pace and by the time I'd finish the first session they where fully scrubbed in, surprised.

Thanks for all your responses.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 227 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1