Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Track day wear

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 21:01 - 08 Aug 2016    Post subject: Track day wear Reply with quote

Hi folks, planning on booking a track day in the next couple of days.

Im currently wearing an RST tracktec evo 2 two piece with 360 vip etc.

The question is... i have the leather trousers but went for a textile jacket, do both halves need to be leather?

Cheers

pics so u know what gear im refering to

https://www.twowheel.co.uk/images/detailed/61/RST-TRACTECH-EVO-JEANS-1.jpg
https://www.dhautos.co.uk/ekmps/shops/dhautos/images/rst-tractech-evo-2-textile-jacket-black-5935-p.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 08 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both halves have to zip together correctly, most companies state that you have to wear leathers though. Check with whoever is running the track day for a definite answer.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:46 - 08 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any TDO's that allow textiles at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 08 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://nolimitstrackdays.com/clothing-bike-prep/

Nolimits wrote:
A full leather 1-piece race suit or a fully zipped together 2-piece. The zip must encircle your torso, and there should be no gap bewteen the jacket and the trousers when the zip is done up.

https://www.focusedevents.com/bike-terms-and-conditions

Focused wrote:
ALL RIDERS MUST WEAR AT ALL TIMES, WHILST ON THE CIRCUIT:
one piece or two piece leather suits that MUST zip together the whole way round, this means 360 degrees.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 09 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what your budget is but the RST R-14 is cheapish from new. There is the RST R-16 for a similar price and I never have been able to figure out the difference between the two. I only mention the RST jacket because you've already got the trousers and unless you're going to change the zips over I'm not aware of any way to zip another jacket to the jean vs it is possible the other way around (connection zip).

The difference between the R-14 and Trachtech Evo Textile would be:

- No race hump.
- No external shoulder protection.
- No option for inner thermal liner (bring cheap bodywarmer)
- Vented holes all the way down the front, small vents on the arms and vents down either side of the back (vents in the form of holes in the jacket, hence recommendation for body warmer)
- Small zips on the cuff.. I assume an attempted vent.

I'd say the R-14 is basically the RST Blade textile jacket in leather in that it's as basic as the RST's come in their continued form. Shoulder, elbow and back protection just in another design.

I haven't worn it much so can't comment on performance of vents. Probably better suited to the street than a full race style leather jacket but depends what your budget is and what you're after. Won't break the bank but isn't all that.

edit; Sorry, there are listings on ebay that end in 5 days time for RST leather jackets, not a guarantee but might be worth a look if you're not in a rush since the jackets are always going to be sitting on the shop shelves.

https://s9.postimg.org/6wnn6lg8f/image_3.jpg

https://s9.postimg.org/bjtp8d3lb/image_2.jpg

https://s9.postimg.org/owwuaz8fj/image_4.jpg

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 09 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, big bag of nope, you'll get sent home with textiles on. Seen it before. Don't risk it.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:46 - 17 Aug 2016    Post subject: Re: Track day wear Reply with quote

No limits tracks are getting hot on checking the zips are full length these days.
(Though even 'back in the day', remember Alex getting found out for a zip at the back and having to borrow some from someone else.)

Worth keeping an eye out second hand.
My most recent one piece suit cost me £20.50 or something. Including sliders with plenty of meat left.

Slight scuffs, but still intact.

It is Focused Events, who I'm not a fan of, but a few of us doing Silverstone on bank holiday Monday by the way.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:19 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Re: Track day wear Reply with quote

G wrote:
No limits tracks are getting hot on checking the zips are full length these days.

What does full length mean, exactly?
Is there a 2-piece suit with the zipper that is really 360 degrees? I have only ever seen zippers which are more around 270 degrees, like this one from Wolf:
https://wolf-moto.com/wolf-leather/wolf-nimbus-k-kangaroo-outlast-leather-jean.html
I asked Hideout Leathers about their 2-piece suits, and they said they always have to leave a gap, otherwise it would restrict movement. Since they make made to measure leathers, I assume they know what they're talking about - after all, the cost of a few addition inches of zip is, I assume, negligible.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:33 - 17 Nov 2016    Post subject: Re: Track day wear Reply with quote

Sorry, I more meant 3/4 length when I said full length - ie a longer textile touring jacket.

270 degrees should be fine.

You can always get bigger zips added if you want.

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:09 - 22 Nov 2016    Post subject: Re: Track day wear Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
G wrote:

What does full length mean, exactly?
Is there a 2-piece suit with the zipper that is really 360 degrees? I have only ever seen zippers which are more around 270 degrees, like this one from Wolf:
https://wolf-moto.com/wolf-leather/wolf-nimbus-k-kangaroo-outlast-leather-jean.html
I asked Hideout Leathers about their 2-piece suits, and they said they always have to leave a gap, otherwise it would restrict movement. Since they make made to measure leathers, I assume they know what they're talking about - after all, the cost of a few addition inches of zip is, I assume, negligible.

"Full length" zips will come round to just in front of where hip protectors sit in my experience.
Basically avoid anything that just has a little zip across the lower back.

Nahh
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:59 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deffo a no no on the textiles as said.

2 piece do the job ok, and are more usable for the road, but if you can afford it look at a 1 piece for sure.

Also, invest in a backrest should the worst happen.

On a trackday you'll eventually end up going faster than you ever would on the road. If its your first TD, plod round enjoy it, then book the next one. As you progress you'll realise the right kit can make all the difference should the worst case thing happen.

And remember, its cold, tyres will be cold, get a good load of laps before pushing. Don't bin it on the first day Smile

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:11 - 14 Dec 2016    Post subject: Leathers. Reply with quote

Get leathers. Tracks can't evaluate every piece of kit on the market. If you have a 45p set of leathers, you're taking the risk. Most of us ride in safe kit coz we like our skin!

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:49 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

would my alpinestars gp pro 2 piece leathers be ok for a track day? the zip is around 270 degrees.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:09 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
would my alpinestars gp pro 2 piece leathers be ok for a track day? the zip is around 270 degrees.

Yes; that's fine.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:26 - 28 Mar 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
AshWebster wrote:

Yes; that's fine.

cheers, just with the posts above it looks like its a full one piece or 360 degree 2 piece suit needed
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 1 day ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1