Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 23:22 - 13 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Still don't 'get' the design of the road bike at all - except that it looks like they made a really decent track bike and thought "oh yea, it needs lights, doesn't it!" ... I did wonder if that was the whole point on the R1.

Inb4 tef-esque unfiltered tangent RE: new R6.

From the reviews I've seen on YouTube of post 2015 R1 owners or just read about online, the R1 is extremely track focused to the point where it's a shitty road bike for every day riding. The throttle response is very choppy and staying at constant rpms as you would by sticking to speed limits is a handful because it wants to take off even in its more tame power modes.

It would, then, make sense that the lights/road legal stuff were an afterthought, and the R6 would have to follow in the shadow of the R1, otherwise changing the styling wouldn't make sense because it wouldn't fit into the progression of their brand. I like the R6 mirrors though.

I'm all for the extra electronics/upgrades, but they've downgraded the iconic styling which can't simply be bolted on like aftermarket electronics can be.

I'm very sure I won't feel the difference of 2mm diameter in the forks, or the extra 10mm on the disc brakes in every day riding. What I would feel though, is that I'm riding an ugly bike. Looks > performance on the road, especially when the performance is no different for someone who spends 90% of their time on public roads than tracks. The only thing you can't bolt on is the ABS as far as I'm aware. There's aftermarket TCS & QS though.

I'd imagine it's a better track bike than it's predecessor though. I wonder if it will have the aggressive throttle response of the R1 (albeit with significantly less power than the R1 ofcourse) and what the engine character will be like compared to the previous model.

I want to see the power specs. Hurry up and release them Yamaha you bastards.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 05:50 - 14 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old bike is still the de-facto club racing bike of choice - so pretty good for track as is!
Most R6s always been a good choice.

I did wonder if that was the case for the R1 as far as track focused goes.

Oh and the consensus seems to be that ABS should be the first thing to go on track/race bikes.

OldBadger
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:23 - 14 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a lurker here (sorry) but mainly because I don't have the knowledge / experience of others.

Just a Comment on this thead though as I do have relevant info in this case.

Had a 2013 R6 and changed this for one of the new R1's. Before doing so I read all the comments about it being a 'totally Trak' bike. Well Just to say, yes it may well be that (I don't have the talent to tell), but as a Road Bike I find it far easer to ride than the R6. Have absolutely no issues in town or on the open Roads. Would agree I would not want to do motorway munching on it but I often do 200 to 250 miles runs with no issues.

Range of tank is only slight issue!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 186 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2