Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First Trackday WITHOUT Knee Sliders

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

venari
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:02 - 15 Aug 2016    Post subject: First Trackday WITHOUT Knee Sliders Reply with quote

I've only recently bought a new 360 zip leather two-piece (RST R-16).

BUT I've just booked my first trackday and these leathers don't have any Velcro patches for knee sliders.

The last thing I want is to be holding back because I'm worried about scuffing my new leathers.

I guess these leathers are still new enough to return and swap with some trachtech bottoms...

I have every intention of trying to get my knee down on track.

What would you do?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:32 - 15 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy some like this:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-cloverleaf-knee-sliders
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 15 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duct tape.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

groovylee
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 15 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the same trousers, and was thinking that it wouldn't be that expensive to get a leather alteration place to bang a pair of velcro patches on them to add knee sliders?

that said, ive got a one piece with sliders too, so im not that fussed. might be worth enquiring as to cost though?

Lee

Current - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000R & 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:17 - 15 Aug 2016    Post subject: Re: First Trackday WITHOUT Knee Sliders Reply with quote

https://www.wizkneesliders.com/WIZ-Velcro-Patche

Would guess you'll be find stuck on for the first trackday.

Do you get your knee down on the road?

Why do you want to get your knee down on track?

I was at a trackday on Saturday and I'm sure in some sessions I didn't get my knee down at all - may well not have in the last session.
I was riding in the fast group and in the last had two people come past me the entire session - one after I'd considerably slowed down.(Not that I was riding massively fast I should note (faster people may well have gone home / started further back / been at another track etc Smile ) - just illustrating that it's not essential.

Getting your knee down is one useful tool to judge lean angle. Not the only one of course.
I don't like to hold my knee down - prefer to spend my money on tyres than sliders. I will usually hold it just above the track for any given corner - if it touches down, then I know I'm going a little faster than last time.
If that's all good, I'll 'reset' the position to be a little higher.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 15 Aug 2016    Post subject: Re: First Trackday WITHOUT Knee Sliders Reply with quote

G wrote:
Why do you want to get your knee down on track?

For the foto.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:00 - 15 Aug 2016    Post subject: Re: First Trackday WITHOUT Knee Sliders Reply with quote

recman wrote:

For the foto.

Full marks to this man!

Smile

Always try and make a point to hang off 'properly' when I see the 'tog too
- sadly they used a picture of me from the first session when I didn't know he was there as a cover thumbnail for the entire day Rolling Eyes.
Razz

scmotosc
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:49 - 16 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got home from second ever track day at Donington Park today, in the novice class most didn't get there knee down-including myself. I have the r 16 one piece and the knee sliders stayed in my van all day.

Had all on working out where to go/brake. Need to trust the tyres and brakes plus the fact i had a moment at the last corner and someone lowsidered in front of me on the same corner(went to see him-lesson ensure tyres are warm if no tyre warmers-gave him my bill for dry cleaning-my pants)

Just go and enjoy being able to go flat out without having to look over your shoulder. Need to walk before you can run.

venari
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:39 - 19 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never got my knee down on the road - I ride fast and hang off in corners but I don't put my knee out.

I want to enjoy the track day and don't want to be worrying about scuffing NEW leathers.

Not worried if knee goes down or not, just don't want to be worrying about it.

Its my first track day and I'm doing it to try riding faster and harder than I dare on the road.

I won't know how close my knee is to the track until I feel it, then it will be too late! Maybe duct tape isn't such a bad shout!!!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:07 - 19 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

venari wrote:
I've never got my knee down on the road - I ride fast and hang off in corners but I don't put my knee out.

It seems the same solution will work just as well on the track.
Don't push your knee towards the ground and you won't scuff your leathers!

Getting your knee down is one part of judging your lean angle.
It's not the most important, nor is it essential.

If you want a picture with you getting your knee down and think it may happen - sure, that's a great reason, so work out a solution.

However, if you want to avoid spoiling your NEW leathers, personally I wouldn't get sticky gaffa tape all over the legs.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:12 - 19 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

venari wrote:
I guess these leathers are still new enough to return and swap with some trachtech bottoms...

If your new leathers haven't been used then return them and get some with velcro patches.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:17 - 19 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh; and... my last set of leathers cost me £22.
That was including not much used sliders.

They do have some minor scuffs, but stitching is fine and they actually coincidentally fit me better than my last set.

Less than the cost of a new set of sliders.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 222 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1