Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Best long distance Japanese cruiser ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fatharleyride...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:41 - 18 Aug 2016    Post subject: Best long distance Japanese cruiser ? Reply with quote

I know this should probably go in the touring section but i wanted a broader range of people to answer.

I'm after a cruiser for long distance (across Equrope) something that is comfortable and reliable and not too expensive let's say under £5000 second hand. My bike can't even get to cambrdige which is 50 miles without my knees and back hurting. I will be riding this cruiser with a pillion and going over Europe mainly France.

Cheers

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 18 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

By cruiser do you mean a bike suitable for touring/cruising or a Harley clone complete with tassels?

Fatharleyride...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:03 - 18 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
By cruiser do you mean a bike suitable for touring/cruising or a Harley clone complete with tassels?

A cruiser not a tourer because the seat height needs to be low and i'm after a V-Twin

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 18 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're question is actually,

What are the Jap V-twin cruisers?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 18 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d76/SpeedKing199/funny/pinky-1.jpg Question

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:18 - 18 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cruisers command daft money and there's a lot between Fireblade and Indian Scout. I'd start here rather than going full assless.

https://www.visordown.com/features/motorcycle-top-10s/top-10-low-seat-adventure-bikes

Whatever you're looking at, I'd want to try it 2-up and loaded with luggage before committing, especially low speed manoeuvres.

Why no Harley? You'd have to go older, but they do hold their value.

Fatharleyride...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:17 - 18 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason i'm looking more at cruisers rather than adventure bikes is because:

A) I'm small
B) I find cruisers more comfortable
D) Some adventure bikes such as BMW's and Triumph's have very expensive parts
D) My girfriend may want to use the bike and she's also tiny

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:26 - 18 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's her inside leg size?

Fatharleyride...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:31 - 18 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither me or her can fit on bikes generally over 800mm which doesn't leave many Thumbs Down

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 18 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't just take height into account, if a bike has a narrow seat you'll be able to reach further down with your legs.

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 18 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

also nice list of seat heights here it seems

https://motorbikewriter.com/what-are-lowest-motorcycle-seat-heights/

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:19 - 18 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 29" inside leg on a good day and can comfortably flat-foot my (factory) lowered midi-GS, both sides. It's ridiculously easy to ride, without the dynamic compromises of a cruiser. The first time I rode it, I got on it and pulled away straight into a tight, confident u-turn, absolutely no fuss. Comfortable too - 400 miles days without a twinge. Running costs are low, consumables are cheap, I really can't fault it as a do-anything bike.

If you actively want a cruiser, fair enough, but if it's more about seat height then I really would suggest that you try something like an F700 or lowered Tiger 800s before committing to a big cruiser - you might be very pleasantly surprised.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:27 - 18 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was going to have a cruiser. It would be a V4.

For the money you're looking at spending, I'd get an old VF1100 and freshen up/modernise the brakes and suspension. That's IF I was going to have a cruiser.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 18 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha royal star is a Japanese V4 cruiser. It sounds like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzN9EMtI0_s

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 19 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fatharleyrider wrote:
The reason i'm looking more at cruisers rather than adventure bikes is because:

A) I'm small
B) I find cruisers more comfortable
D) Some adventure bikes such as BMW's and Triumph's have very expensive parts
D) My girfriend may want to use the bike and she's also tiny

1) How small (inside leg-wise)?
2) So you've ridden with forward pegs before?
3) Are you suggesting cruiser parts can't be expensive?
4) Again, how small (inside leg-wise)?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 23:29 - 19 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'low seat' notion on cruisers really narks me... you buy a bike to ride, not straddle outside the wine bar! what matters is the distance twixt bars, bum and foot-pegs! not the bludy floor!!
That only matters when you stop, and if you're legs are too short to touch tarmac in the safety position, left foot down, right foot on peg covering back brake.... you're not 'short'... your pissed!

Forward set 'highway-pegs' and tall wide ape-hangers, stretching you out over the seat, do little to aid 'comfort' or control!

Open your horizons up a bit and give a standard street bike or tourer a try.

The unbiqueteos 'Pan, for all it's bulk is a remarkeably nimble motorcycle, (for its size & mass!) thanks to V-four accross the frame, placing crank masss low to the floor and balencing it well, & I have piloted a couple of them through CBT cones that I have been vexed by on even a 125 cruiserette's perverse ergonomics and geometry.

But, biker that sprang instantly to mind was the Moto-Guzzi California.... it started life as a conventional 850 'street-bike', and has evolved over the last forty years into it's own idea of an americanised big v-Twin cruiery-tourer, with or without western saddle and tassles...

BUT underneath the quite useful barn-door fairing and even big enough for my ex-missus arse 'king & queen' seat.. is the same mechanics as the renowned 'Le-Mans'.. this was and remains a 'cruiser' that can 'handle'.. it's not so compromised for style, and it has always had good grade suspension at either end, whilst the V-Twin.. still a push-rodf like a harley, points the right way, accross the frame, the pots poking out either side, keeping it reasonably short and the weight low and the package well balenced.

I am 6'3"... only problem I have with the Cali, is that with forward set foot-boards rather than pegs, WYB, close to the pots, my knees are still bent forwards ahead of my toes and cooking on the rocker cover!!!

So I prefer the smaller, lighter 750, in 'cruiser-tourer' guise badged a Nevada, which is lighter, and has smaller, shorter pots, that dont dig into my knees....

Many Cali Owners are not of taller stature though, and they get on with them like a house on fire.

Small-block, 650 or750 or big-block, 850, 950, 1000, 1100, 1200 and I think they might even have porked them all the way to 1300 odd now!!! They are all properly balanced 90 degree V-Twins, far smoother than a Harley, like a Ducati, claiming 'perfect primary balance', without the resort to weird included angles the Japs use, forked con-rods harley have, or other contraptions like balencer shafts to keep the vibes in check!

Motors use old fashioned push rods to open the valves, and are air cooled; tuned for torque not revs, they make thier own brand of power that the numbers don't do justice to; while remaining simple durable and easy to maintain.... bar being Italian.... but we call that latin 'charecter' Wink Shaft drive too..... like a BMW

IF you want an 'american cruisery-style' bike for touring, it is where I suggest you start your search.... they have been doing it decades!!!!

But, for mile-eating two-up comfort? I would set the style question to one side; recalibrate the presumptions over seat heights and 'ergonomics' to justify a Hard-Rock-Cafe wine-bar crawler; and try some real bikes whose ergonomics are not so compromised for that 'style', and which ARE manageable for those of lesser leg, and far more suited to the suggested job of two-up mile eating!

Its all budget dependant, but less compromised ergamomics of most 'naked' street-bikes would put them in the frame, and potentially make any of them as good a long haul two-up machine as most cruisers..... Given most cruisers have pillion squabs that make the lady-nappy on most sports bikes look 'generous' Shocked I dont think I would get beyond the boarders of the county.. let alone the country with our Snowie perched on the bunny.... actually, come to think of it... I did... once... and only once... and it was HER cruiser! and I only got five miles beyond the boarder (which itself is only two miles away!!!) So, the more commodious bunny-perches of most naked's, let alone more proper touring orientated machines would probably do more for rider comfort, on and off the bike! Than trying to find a more comfy wine-Bar crawler, and matter of how far the rider's seat is from teh floor, prove to be of little real issue to 'manageability'.

Question has got me pondering a genuine '77 Honda GL1000, un-faired, un-loaded and naked as Sochiro-San intended..... that would do the job rather well, and still impress the Hipster's down the wine-bar!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 19 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under no circumstances buy a VF750 magna, no matter how cheap.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 23:49 - 19 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
Under no circumstances by a VF750 magna, no matter how cheap.

Lol
stinkwheel wrote:
If I was going to have a cruiser. It would be a V4.

For the money you're looking at spending, I'd get an old VF1100 and freshen up/modernise the brakes and suspension. That's IF I was going to have a cruiser.

It's actually a 'cruiser' I would consider.....

Just NOT for touring..... actually, probably not even for riding!!!!

It is to my mind a real 'classic'.. would have to be exactly as the brochures, complete with crap square head-lamp, night-rider electronic dash, and fake plastic chrome trim......

It was just SO 'of the moment'... Honda trying to build a 'Techno-Harley', and just so utterly loosing the plot along the way.. it's so bizarre its fantastic... you just GOT to love it.. even if you hate it, you have to love it!

It WAS also the most powerful production street-bike when launched, 'inventing' the super-cruiser, and spurring Yamaha into making the Max.. which is worth a ponder for the OP, but getting so much 'right' and going on to become a cult machine, just doesn't have that 'forgotten-era 'cheesy' charm' of the Magna 65.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 20 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of the family toured on his VN 1500, says it was comfy enough but suffered from short tank range (a trait of the tear drop tank design).

His F6C valkyrie on the other hand was much better (effectively a restyled goldwing).

Listen to what others have said about seat height though, cruisers are a fairly compromised machine for touring, you really have to want to tour on one not just because you think it'll be comfier based on seat height.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:52 - 20 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also choose from retro twins.
By attaching big screen on them, you can use them as tourer.
https://www.bikepics.com/pictures/726117/
https://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b295/kawashima_/triumph_zps6n3q7yry.jpg
https://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b295/kawashima_/GT1000%20touring_zpsz4q6klf7.jpg

Good point of using retro twins as tourers are
steps are under your knees : often comfier than forward pegs
riding position is similar to adventure tourers with lower seats and narrower/closer handle bars and lighter weight : good for smaller riders

I had W650 but its brakes/frame were awful. Previous bonneville I rented was much better bike in every aspects except mpg.
I haven't tried ducati.

Though I posted royal star link in above post, I'm not a fan of forward pegs. I rented virago250, my hip ache started in a few hours Sick

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:52 - 20 Aug 2016    Post subject: Re: Best long distance Japanese cruiser ? Reply with quote

Fatharleyrider wrote:

I'm after a cruiser for long distance (across Equrope) something that is comfortable and reliable and not too expensive let's say under £5000 second hand. My bike can't even get to cambrdige which is 50 miles without my knees and back hurting. I will be riding this cruiser with a pillion and going over Europe mainly France.

Cheers

All these answers and not one suggestion about getting a new seat made up to give more comfort.....

Forget 5K. Think a £100 and spend the rest on 5* accommodation Laughing

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 20 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

The unbiqueteos 'Pan, for all it's bulk is a remarkeably nimble motorcycle, (for its size & mass!) thanks to V-four accross the frame, placing crank masss low to the floor and balencing it well, & I have piloted a couple of them through CBT cones that I have been vexed by on even a 125 cruiserette's perverse ergonomics and geometry.

I love my 1300 pan, and it is surprisingly agile. However, Mrs Bamt can't ride it as she can't reach the floor at all with the bike upright.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:44 - 20 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinigami wrote:
https://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d76/SpeedKing199/funny/pinky-1.jpg Question

A Böhmerland with an odd engine and the front end. Thinking

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:23 - 20 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
I love my 1300 pan, and it is surprisingly agile. However, Mrs Bamt can't ride it as she can't reach the floor at all with the bike upright.

I confess haven't ridden a newer one.

School had a very very ropey early example; '88-ish ISTR that had been round the houses more than a few times; Chiefie liked to wheel out and lay on the floor to demonstrate, to Newbies, that even he, as a smaller, rounder rider, could, with just a little 'technique' lift a 'big-bike' back on its wheels.... It had been his every-day rider for many years; think it was an ex police bike he bought as 'damage repairable' after it had been crashed.... He's only an inch or so taller than Snowie, 5'6"-ish I think.

Are the 1300's that much taller/bulkier then?

As an asside, we stick Snowie on a Cali 1100 a while back...... had to fib a bit to her, and tell her it was a Nevada 750, the same 'size' (at least in the cylinders!) as her own 750, to get her to straddle it! And she flat-footed that probably more comfortably than she does her own Strada, despite the seemingly barn-door wide seat. It was merely the amount of shear 'mass' the things have that put her off, but then she is used to lighter bikes.

Curiously did the same thing to her with an old FJ1200!!! (It was a bit of a rat, without decals, conveniently!) We told her it was a 600! She was on tipie toes to straddle it, but she flat-footed one side in 'safety-pos' readily enough.... till some-one told her it wasn't a 600 and the bumble bee effect took over! lol. Hefty old lump though.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 193 days between these two posts...

Peregrine
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:00 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Cruisers for a tall rider Reply with quote

Sorry for dragging up an old post but i have a similar problem when looking for a big cruiser bike, I am 6ft 4" and have always fancied a Valkyrie Interstate....but haven't actually sat on one so don't know if i will fit ok? I have had 40+ bikes in the past including Harleys and Goldwing plus loads of big sports bikes and Adventure styled bikes so quite a mixed lot but apart from the BMW GS's i always looked too big for the bikes.....long legs get in the way. So can anyone recommend a BIG cruiser suitable for a 6ft 4" lanky sod? Valkyries look long and their footpegs look similar to the Goldwings? I had some forward pegs on my Harley and i felt like my legs where going allover and the narrow tank didn't help but as i live out in the wilds of Galloway the nearest bike shop is 100+ miles away so not easy to try them out so buying online from a dealer and having it delivered would probably work better for me. My wife died suddenly last January so still in shock and trying give me a reason to get out and about again and you meeting bikers is better than Ford Focus drivers who have sod all to chat about lol.
Anyway hope ya didn't id me resurrecting this old thread and glad i found the BCF.
Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 29 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2