Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

i apologise in advance... another pointless thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 02:37 - 26 Aug 2004    Post subject: i apologise in advance... another pointless thread Reply with quote

ok... found a yamaha SR 125 for £1100 on auto trader...

nice condition... 5500 (just short of) miles

2001 on a 51 plate

tax and test for 12 months... good tyres...brakes... clean bike blar di blar

https://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/bikes_search.asp?nU=0&make=YAMAHA&model=SR&ccappr=125&min_pr=75&postcode=DL6%202RG&miles=40&max_records=50&modelexact=1

(the middle one)

i should get it for about £1000

is it worth the money or is it expensive?

i have checked that bike out tonight and its kosher its all ok really

cheers in advance

tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:47 - 26 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes too expensive...
because....

Arrow you'd get an nsr 125 for that price (FAR superior performance wise on account of it being 2 stroke)

Arrow A cg125 is just as good and will cost you half the ammount, (500/600) cheaper to run, cheaper to insure and cheaper parts, they dont look tremendously sexy but if you dont plan keeping it long then why bother? (also you wont lose any money when you sell it unlke the one your looking at you'd be lucky to get £500 from a dealership tbh)

If its to bridge the gap between a biger bike (like i assume it is) then get something cheap and relyable, spend the rest on your test (afaik you did it allready and are doing it again right?)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:27 - 26 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a GPZ500s (admittedly quite a bit older, but a nice runner) with 24k miles on it for £150 less than you are hoping to pay for that. Kind of puts it in perspective.

If you are going for your test soon, don't pay more than £500 for a 125, you'll sell it for the same amount in a couple of months and will have more money for a bigger bike once you have passed.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:44 - 26 Aug 2004    Post subject: Re: i apologise in advance... another pointless thread Reply with quote

The is it worth it, is going to be in relation to you.

I did actually pay £800 for my first cg125 and did regret that.

Many on here have had that experience and hoped others would learn from our mistakes.

I thought the cg would have enough pwer for me and I'd be happy with it for two years. I wasn't and it didn't.

I don't see that a 4stroke 125 will ever be really 'worth' £1100; you don't get more bike than one you spend £400 on really.
So, if it's the market value and you want a new one, then presumably it is worth it to you Smile.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 15:14 - 26 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the help guys... here is the situation

1) i dont want a performance 125... expensive insurance not reliable enough! (definate NO NO)

2) performance is not an issue RELIABILITY is and its ok getting a cheap £500 bike but what happens if it goes wrong? it will cost lots of money to fix nearly as much as a £1000 bike

3) i will be keeping this untill i pass my test (my next test is paid for) then i will sell and get a 500cc!

4) as above its to bridge a gap! i want to get as much back as possible now that bike with another 1500 miles on it wont loose much value!

are there any other GOOD relaible 4t 125's in my area that would suit... low miles etc not a high milage dog that could break down

any sensible ideas folks?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 26 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just seems a lot of money on a bike that is to, as you put it "Bridge the gap". Plus your not bothered about performance? You never stopped complaining how you speedfight 100 was so slow and you going to buy a bike which does pretty much the same speed? Get a cheap CG if its only got to last a few months.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 26 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:

2) performance is not an issue RELIABILITY is and its ok getting a cheap £500 bike but what happens if it goes wrong? it will cost lots of money to fix nearly as much as a £1000 bike

Priovided its running and in good order in the first place a £500 cg125 will be just as relyable as a £1000 one (get a knowlageable friend to come with you)

Quote:

4) as above its to bridge a gap! i want to get as much back as possible now that bike with another 1500 miles on it wont loose much value!

Theres is no way you will get your money back on a £1000 125cc unless you are a dealership or you find some poor sap to buy it.

Quote:

are there any other GOOD relaible 4t 125's in my area that would suit... low miles etc not a high milage dog that could break down

any sensible ideas folks?

Yes its called a cg125 :p

Serously though, if you spend allot on your 1 year hack then you will be sorely dissapointed when you only get half that a year or less on.

Ah yes, dont bother with auto trader, for the intensely overpricedness you can get one with a warrenty from a dealership.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 15:31 - 26 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see your point but...

i will be getting a bigger bike in a few months

say a cheap CG is £400 and lasts like you say

but brakes down and costs a load to repair and i cant sell a old nackard CG i will loose £400

but i wont loose £400 on a £1000 bike in like 2 months...

think about it...

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 15:33 - 26 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to add on all the dealers in my area have nothing in!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:34 - 26 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've obviously got your mind set on this, but my opinions anyway:

Quote:
1) i dont want a performance 125... expensive insurance not reliable enough! (definate NO NO)

A 2 stroke 125 should be perfectly reliable if treated well, I have seen many with over 30,000 miles and still going strong.

Quote:

As I've mentioned elsewhere, the under a year old NSR I had was a lot less reliable than the 11 year old one I had.
New does not mean reliable... look at the number of people that do have to make use of their warranties... and the garages often try to not do the work under warranty anyway.
Cheap bikes like the cg rarely cost a lot to fix.. for £500 you could buy two bikes for ultimate reliability.

Quote:
3) i will be keeping this untill i pass my test (my next test is paid for) then i will sell and get a 500cc!

If you put 1500 miles on a low mileage bike you will loose more than doing that on one with a higher mileage already. You may even be able to get more money back than you paid if you buy a cheap slightly tatty bike and give it a lick of paint.

There are many people on here that have had loads of problems with new 'good' bikes and many others that have had no problems with an older bike.

Providing you buy an ok bike (you can get a bad bike, new or not) and keep it well maintained you shouldn't have any problems, how ever much you stroke Smile.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:44 - 26 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
are there any other GOOD relaible 4t 125's in my area that would suit

Ask www.adtrader.co.uk Thumbs Up

divuk83
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 26 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you work for them or something Ste? Mr. Green

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:49 - 26 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, but it is the best place for finding second hand cheaper end bikes, people don't bother really putting cheap bikes in Bike Trader as it costs money but Ad Trader is free. Maybe I should start sending them bills for advertising. Razz

dibbster
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:49 - 26 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy a £400 CG with 20,000 miles on the clock what can go wrong that wll cost you more than a fiver to fix? Laughing

I bought my CG 1990 reg 14,000 miles mint condition for £1000 from a dealer in 2001, when I came to part-ex it I got offered from £200 (list price) to £500. ( It had done 5000 miles in that time and had a crack in the crankcase casting where engine mounting bolt goes fixed with instant gasket)

in that time I had bought a rectifier (£10) clutch lever (£5) plus usual service items (plugs etc)

Think of it this way how much can you sell it for? how long will you keep it?

Now is it worth losing (insert amount) over (insert number) months?

If yes buy, but personally i would get a cheap bike keep it a few months then sell it or part-ex it for your next bigger bike. The more you lose on this bike the less you will have to spend on the next!

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:54 - 27 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is NOTHING on the cg that could cost more than £50 to fix, For less than £1000 you could buy TWO and if anything goes wrong you can replace the part from it, if it doesn't go wrong (which is far more probable) you can sell both for what you payed for them.

Think very carefully before wasteing your money on a bike that will inevitably loose money on, an expensive 125 is just a liability if you dont plan keeping it long, say you scratch the painwork if/when you drop it, it will either loose £300 off the asking price or you wil have to spend £200+ to have it resprayed.

I didn't want to hear it either but... spend your money on your next bike, £ 1400 got my mate one of these...

https://www.mc-zerberus.de/g-bilder-kunden-kawa/zxr400.jpg

Which goes some way to explain the horror people show when the suggestion of a £1000+ 125 comes up.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:06 - 27 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

zero wrote:
There is NOTHING on the cg that could cost more than £50 to fix

Sounds like a challenge. Twisted Evil Razz

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:17 - 27 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
zero wrote:
There is NOTHING on the cg that could cost more than £50 to fix

Sounds like a challenge. Twisted Evil Razz

That is presumeing your not buying honda originals Razz

The most complicated part is the engine, which is as complicated as a pogo stick, the sort of thing you can perform serious engine surgery on a garden table with a collection of appropreately shaped sticks and a hammer.

They are learner schools geared cbt bike of choice for good reason (iv'e heared tales of them being run with almost no oil for a month and continueing to work for years after. how true that is i dunno but they have a reputation for their sturdy nature.)

I'd be happyer rideing 100 miles on a 10 year old cg125 than i would on a 1 year old example of any other of the big japanese manufacturers equivilent bikes.

(That is assumeing it has been looked after, i.e. if the chain adjuster screw is fused on then its not been adjusted, which means its an accident waiting to happen and you can bet your life its not been looked after! but that goes for anything with a chain drive)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 275 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1