Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Black Lives Matter.....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 182, 183, 184  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:45 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny how the Orientals don't have an issue, or at least don't kill each other in protests.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:09 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
It's funny how the Orientals don't have an issue, or at least don't kill each other in protests.

Worse; they're an actual victim of actual institutional racism at the hands of American institutions.

https://www.insidehighered.com/admissions/article/2019/03/04/research-suggests-bias-against-asian-americans-after-they-earn-degrees

In order to 'assist' racial inequality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Somehow Dawn Butler's abbreviated video of the event has been flipped, falsely implying that she was in the driving seat. I guess the real driver wasn't black enough to fit the storyline. He'll be written out. The "equalities minister" appears to be race baiting.

Is that the same Dawn Butler who was convicted of stealing £66k in the expenses scandal ?

That would have bought a few slaves their freedom.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone watch that 'Anthony' drama on the BBC ?
It was about Anthony Walker, murdered at 18 in 2005 by Joey Barton's brother.

The idea was it went on about all the good he would have done to society had he lived.

Very poignant. I wonder if the BBC will do a 'Lee' focusing on what Lee Rigby would have done. His murderer of course got people to film him making sh1t justifications for the killing whilst holding the weapon.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Is that the same Dawn Butler who was convicted of stealing £66k in the expenses scandal ?

Wikipedia wrote:
In October 2019, one of Corbyn's advisors accused Butler of homophobia after she said that "90 per cent of giraffes are gay" at the PinkNews awards.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 14 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a bit of searching I found the story on the recent death of Cannon Hinnant. Can't help but be racist and compare it to St. Floyd.

Cannon, who was white, "was riding his bike in front of his house & Darius Nathaniel Sessoms, a black male, walked up, put a gun to his head and shot & killed Cannon".

OK maybe provoked by trespassing, racism, previous behavior etc. But in Cannon's defence he was 5 years old!

Would be interesting to see if everyone gets to know his name like George Floyd.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:25 - 15 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
After a bit of searching I found the story on the recent death of Cannon Hinnant. Can't help but be racist and compare it to St. Floyd.

Cannon, who was white, "was riding his bike in front of his house & Darius Nathaniel Sessoms, a black male, walked up, put a gun to his head and shot & killed Cannon".

OK maybe provoked by trespassing, racism, previous behavior etc. But in Cannon's defence he was 5 years old!

Would be interesting to see if everyone gets to know his name like George Floyd.

I suggest you expand your information sources. Father said that he and the murderer used to sit on the porch, shooting the breeze and drinking tinnies, no previous confrontations, no bad blood.

Most likely scenarios are that the murderer was in need of mental health support and couldn't afford it or was just fucking around with a gun.

You'd be surprised how often people get shot that way over here. My brother in law has had two teenagers on his side of the family die from that kind of shooting and last year one of my missus' pupils had his brains blown out when he and his mates were messing around with a gun.
A few weeks ago I was introduced to and had a chat with an irate neighbour who only moved in a couple of weeks beforehand. One of my immediate neighbours had managed to put a round through the window of his house. Edit: The offender made, at least. a three hundred metres shot , it's not like Stepford in my neck of the woods...

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:59 - 15 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't expect that young lad's murder to make the waves George Floyd's did however because it wasn't televised and it wasn't carried out by the plod. It can't be used as an example of institutional racism, which seems to be the determinant of what is 'really' bad these days.

It is the same in the UK - people are murdered daily, but the thing that makes the news is a gobby MP crying 'institutional racism' when a car she is in is stopped in London.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:50 - 15 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
I don't expect that young lad's murder to make the waves George Floyd's did however because it wasn't televised and it wasn't carried out by the plod. It can't be used as an example of institutional racism, which seems to be the determinant of what is 'really' bad these days.

It is the same in the UK - people are murdered daily, but the thing that makes the news is a gobby MP crying 'institutional racism' when a car she is in is stopped in London.

I dunno, it makes me uncomfortable to think that closing your eyes (e.g. a murder went unfilmed) makes events less important Thinking

But, as ever, what makes me even more uncomfortable is agitators and race baiters making political capital out of some poor soul's death Sad

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 15 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Diggs wrote:

I dunno, it makes me uncomfortable to think that closing your eyes (e.g. a murder went unfilmed) makes events less important Thinking

But, as ever, what makes me even more uncomfortable is agitators and race baiters making political capital out of some poor soul's death Sad

Wrap your brains round this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/06/20/19-children-are-shot-every-day-in-the-united-states/

And a breakdown from another source (which took figures from the past five years):

DAILY GUN VIOLENCE IMPACTING CHILDREN AND TEENS (1-17)
Every day, 21 children and teens (1-17) are shot in the United States. Among those:

4 die from gun violence
2 are murdered
17 children and teens survive gunshot injuries
8 are intentionally shot by someone else
2 children and teens either die from gun suicide or survive an attempted gun suicide
8 children and teens are shot instances of family fire — a shooting involving an improperly stored or misused gun found in the home resulting in injury or death

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:08 - 15 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all it's faults, the UK is head and shoulders above the 'leader of the free world'.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:10 - 15 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
For all it's faults, the UK is head and shoulders above the 'leader of the free world'.

It's a funny world though.

When I was over there as supervisor for one of our ships in Norshipco yard in Norfolk, Virginia I never felt at all scared/frightened/intimidated. I found the people friendly and welcoming.

We look at what we see on the news and read those horrible statistics that can be manipulated how you want and make totally wrong assumptions based on them. (I'm generalising, not comenting specifically on your above comment).

Mind you, when on a products tanker doing the Hudson river run, we had trouble getting a cab back to the docks in New York after a night on the tiles so we walked. The pilot was amazed we ever made it back to the ship. Laughing

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 15 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

When I was over there as supervisor for one of our ships in Norshipco yard in Norfolk, Virginia I never felt at all scared/frightened/intimidated. I found the people friendly and welcoming.

We look at what we see on the news and read those horrible statistics that can be manipulated how you want and make totally wrong assumptions based on them. (I'm generalising, not comenting specifically on your above comment).

Mind you, when on a products tanker doing the Hudson river run, we had trouble getting a cab back to the docks in New York after a night on the tiles so we walked. The pilot was amazed we ever made it back to the ship. Laughing

Yeah, but sailors. Laughing
It wasn't that long ago that the British matelots from HMS Queen Elizabeth rocked up in Jacksonville, Florida and scared the crap out of floridaman with their drinking and fighting...

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:33 - 15 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

Yeah, but sailors. Laughing
It wasn't that long ago that the British matelots from HMS Queen Elizabeth rocked up in Jacksonville, Florida and scared the crap out of floridaman with their drinking and fighting...

And you are of course completely correct. My view is not what most would call normal.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 15 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be completely behind the BLM movement if it had as its mentor Martin Luther King.

King's vision was one of complete equality which I wholeheartedly support. He was also murdered by a white supremacist, just like Floyd.

I can't understand why they don't pick him rather than Floyd, who was far from perfect.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:03 - 16 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
I'd be completely behind the BLM movement if it had as its mentor Martin Luther King.

King's vision was one of complete equality which I wholeheartedly support. He was also murdered by a white supremacist, just like Floyd.

I can't understand why they don't pick him rather than Floyd, who was far from perfect.

He has had his day. He's something from the past, a figure as remote to America's youth as Churchill is to the youth of UK and Mandela will be to the youth of South Africa.

It has to be a 'now' catalyst which is why they are trying to keep it in the news with racist copper stop stories or BBC raking up past crimes. As soon as it falls out of the media it's history until another incident sets it off again.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:05 - 16 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

If students spent less time attending protests about BLM, climate change, Brexit etc etc, maybe their grades would be better, and they wouldn't have to attend protests about how they've been graded Razz
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 17 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I still get the general impression that the USA has far more extreme cases of all the bad things a supposedly developed country should be overcoming.

I've been reading a lot of Reddit lately and got onto a thread where the topic of discussion was "Teachers of Reddit: What things have you learned about your pupil's lives since they started taking video lessons where you can see into their homes?"

There were plenty of answers telling of kids living in broken little huts, or 10 year olds having to look after their younger siblings while taking video classes. And other stuff which just sounded exactly the like the story of broken/poverty America that doesn't really have any parallels with the UK.

Also regarding America generally, there's the tent ghettos, real ghettos, 'Florida Man', or gun culture causing police to be scared even at a routine stop. It just seems like a mess in so many more ways. Yes it's a super wealthy country full of happy polite over-frienly howdy doo neighbours, but that doesn't really seem to be truth across the board.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:12 - 17 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
It just seems like a mess in so many more ways. Yes it's a super wealthy country full of happy polite over-frienly howdy doo neighbours, but that doesn't really seem to be truth across the board.

It's a big place. To try to summarise it or generalise about its character is to be defeated. I suppose that's what fascinates the rest of the world about it so much. Whatever idea you try to pin on it, it just wriggles out from, and smacks you with the opposite in the next minute.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 17 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:
It just seems like a mess in so many more ways. Yes it's a super wealthy country full of happy polite over-frienly howdy doo neighbours, but that doesn't really seem to be truth across the board.

It's a big place. To try to summarise it or generalise about its character is to be defeated. I suppose that's what fascinates the rest of the world about it so much. Whatever idea you try to pin on it, it just wriggles out from, and smacks you with the opposite in the next minute.

Right, but what I mean is: The UK doesn't have anywhere that looks like this:

https://i.pinimg.com/600x315/a7/01/28/a70128966016ae12fa273db8734b5f23.jpg

or this

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/df/4e/d6/df4ed67f228cd542cc69d2c511f5d6ed.jpg

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 17 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
If students spent less time attending protests about BLM, climate change, Brexit etc etc, maybe their grades would be better, and they wouldn't have to attend protests about how they've been graded Razz

To paraphrase your own words...

To try to summarise or generalise about a few hundred thousand students is to be defeated.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:26 - 17 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe because we simply don't have the space? We certainly have folks living in abject poverty of our own kind.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:27 - 17 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

To try to summarise or generalise about a few hundred thousand students is to be defeated.

I had a feeling you might have a comment about that one Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:20 - 17 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Right, but what I mean is: The UK doesn't have anywhere that looks like this:

https://i.pinimg.com/600x315/a7/01/28/a70128966016ae12fa273db8734b5f23.jpg

or this

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/df/4e/d6/df4ed67f228cd542cc69d2c511f5d6ed.jpg

Tent city, Milton Keynes. Ok, there's much fewer at the moment because they are in hotels and guest houses because of Corona virus, but they will be back in all the centre underpasses soon enough.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRVQBvJSqpI7ZN6Xg1KpZMQJMdSFSEqPvwRjw&usqp=CAU

https://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/images-o.jpimedia.uk/imagefetch/https://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/webimage/Prestige.Item.1.108340300!image/image.jpg?width=640

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/11/21/11/46908B4C00000578-0-image-a-6_1511265250428.jpg

Your picture of urban decay, no we don't have much like that simply because space in UK is so tight. It would get built on with houses, shopping centres etc. The states they can just leave it as a blot on the landscape..

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:26 - 17 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

There's a bloody big difference between generalising over a few hundred thousand students and a country with a population of 320 million.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 253 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 182, 183, 184  Next
Page 75 of 184