Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Black Lives Matter.....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97 ... 182, 183, 184  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 14 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not strictly BLM but worthy of a mention because it is the Guardian at its daftest.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/spotlight/gal-gadot-as-cleopatra-is-a-backwards-step-for-hollywood-representation/ar-BB1a0KXw?ocid=msedgntp

If you can't be bothered to read it all, it is a piece that complains at the casting of Gal Gadot as Cleopatra because she isn't obviously North-African, then in the same breath commends the casting of Dev Patel as David Copperfield.

This is why ordinary people like me don't read the Guardian any more...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 14 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did like the new David Copperfield. I did get a hint of "you want woke? I'll give you fecking woke..." about it. TBF the classics have been done that many times it's nice to have something a bit different.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 14 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I did like the new David Copperfield. I did get a hint of "you want woke? I'll give you fecking woke..." about it. TBF the classics have been done that many times it's nice to have something a bit different.

I don't have any problem with a non-white chap playing David Copperfield. I wouldn't have a problem if a black trans-gender dude with a lisp gets to play Dr Who or James Bond. My problem is with the way the Guardian can complain about something then champion it in the same article. It makes itself look foolish... Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:59 - 14 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

We love black people...unless they support Trump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iyMT23x7Pk
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:04 - 14 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

I don't have any problem with a non-white chap playing David Copperfield. I wouldn't have a problem if a black trans-gender dude with a lisp gets to play Dr Who or James Bond. My problem is with the way the Guardian can complain about something then champion it in the same article. It makes itself look foolish... Laughing

I wouldn't have much of a problem with it either, except when political, identity politics and sexuality questions are rammed down the throats of children (possibly unfortunate turn of phrase!), and when it is so obvious it is not just a program here or an advert there. When it is constantly force fed, then I have an issue with it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:09 - 14 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
We love black people...unless they support Trump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iyMT23x7Pk

It's nothing new. Candace Owens a great example. She's not black any more.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:05 - 15 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A RACISM row has broken out in a quintessentially Wiltshire village after teenagers were refused the chance to use a telephone box for a Black Lives Matter display.

Urchfont Parish Council was asked by a group of young people, upset by the death of George Floyd in America, if they could use the phone box to create a historical information point.

But despite impassioned please by teenagers from Youth Of Urchfont, a petition and backing from some council members their plan was turned down by five votes to three.

Emily Kinnaird from the youth group told the meeting: “Me and my friends thought it would be beneficial if Urchfont showed its support for the Black community. I think it is important to use education to raise awareness of racism especially in predominantly white Wiltshire.”

But councillors voted to support a proposal which read: “The telephone box should be used only for local community purposes, as such this proposal covering the wider issue of racism should be rejected.”

Now campaign group blminthestix has highlighted the issue in Urchfont and used it as an example of rural racism.

Blminthestix, which was set up to support UK rural communities to end racism said: “A group of young people in Wiltshire approached their local council to request turning a community phone box into a display on racism and were met with opposition that the topic was “too political.” "

The world's smallest violin player, just for you!

https://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/18796070.urchfont-accused-racism-rejecting-black-history-plan-phone-box/

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 15 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
"A RACISM row has broken out in a quintessentially Wiltshire village after teenagers were refused the chance to use a telephone box for a Black Lives Matter display.

Urchfont Parish Council was asked by a group of young people, upset by the death of George Floyd in America, if they could use the phone box to create a historical information point.

But despite impassioned please by teenagers from Youth Of Urchfont, a petition and backing from some council members their plan was turned down by five votes to three.

Emily Kinnaird from the youth group told the meeting: “Me and my friends thought it would be beneficial if Urchfont showed its support for the Black community. I think it is important to use education to raise awareness of racism especially in predominantly white Wiltshire.”

But councillors voted to support a proposal which read: “The telephone box should be used only for local community purposes, as such this proposal covering the wider issue of racism should be rejected.”

Now campaign group blminthestix has highlighted the issue in Urchfont and used it as an example of rural racism.

Blminthestix, which was set up to support UK rural communities to end racism said: “A group of young people in Wiltshire approached their local council to request turning a community phone box into a display on racism and were met with opposition that the topic was “too political.” "

The world's smallest violin player, just for you!

https://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/18796070.urchfont-accused-racism-rejecting-black-history-plan-phone-box/

I'm afraid I take a very simplistic view of this.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:32 - 15 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should've banned them from the whole village.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:40 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

These kids haven't got a clue. Telephone boxes are for having a wee in, fingering, making rude phonecalls and advertising local prostitution services....

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:10 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Quote:

These kids haven't got a clue. Telephone boxes are for having a wee in, fingering, making rude phonecalls and advertising local prostitution services....

I'm surprised the modern yoof even know what a phone box is, let alone how to use one.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:20 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I'm surprised the modern yoof even know what a phone box is, let alone how to use one.

It's wot Doctor Who/Him/Her/They fly round in.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:28 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

It's wot Doctor Who/Him/Her/They fly round in.

Doctor What...?

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor Black.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:28 - 16 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a scarecrow trail at urchfont and they do a nice barbeque and the beer tent has a nice selection of booze. The pubs are quite welcoming and everyone is very friendly.

As many of you know what I look like i can confirm that they have no issues with the more diverse members of society wandering round their village.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I do a scarecrow trail at urchfont and they do a nice barbeque and the beer tent has a nice selection of booze. The pubs are quite welcoming and everyone is very friendly.

As many of you know what I look like i can confirm that they have no issues with the more diverse members of society wandering round their village.

BBQ and beer tent?! No yams and okra? Racist!

Walking around looking like you've been highly magnetised hardly qualifies you to say you're adding to diversity Laughing

Last edited by chickenstrip on 12:34 - 17 Oct 2020; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:34 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheY do ice creams and cake tents as well but I dont get much further than the beer and burgers.

The actual scarecrow trail is actually quite diverse in subjects and all subjects are sympathetically portrayed with no sign of racist overtones or caricatures anywhere.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:36 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you want to see re. diversity? An absence of racism is not the same thing as a diverse population, nor is a lack of diversity proof of racism.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:45 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an absence of racism. I'm not bothered about amount of diversity.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 17 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Just an absence of racism. I'm not bothered about amount of diversity.

You must be like me then, and be content with the fact that racism is a minority phenomenon in this country to the point where there's barely a conversation to be had on the subject for most people. Or at least there wasn't until certain somewhat misguided sections of society decided to cynically and disingenuously make it a central issue, out of all proportion to its actual prevalence.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:19 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/asu-student-radio-journalist-fired-rae-lee-klein-blaze-cronkite-11494721

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0ppkeRrKMk

TL;DR:
Girl tweets article on the arrest warrant for Jacob Blake
Says 'always more to the story folks'
Gets canned from her Station Manager job on student radio for criticising BLM Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:21 - 20 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Gets canned from her Station Manager job on student radio for criticising BLM crimes against dogma Laughing

FTFY Wink

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:11 - 21 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stretching this one I know, but I thought police brutality was cos of the white male patriarchy?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-54629449

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:30 - 21 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
I'm stretching this one I know, but I thought police brutality was cos of the white male patriarchy?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-54629449

From my time over there there are certain police units you don't get on the wrong side of, SARS is the worst but most of them are pretty brutal. They cartainly aren't racist though, they will beat anyone.

Still, if you are reasonably well off a nice little bribe (in dollars, pounds or Euros, not Naira) will get you off anything. We should try it over here, save court costs.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:54 - 21 Oct 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmo7M3Huz9I

Wait a minute...Gandhi bad now?! I just can't keep up. Oh well, wait a couple of decades and he'll no doubt be good again.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 185 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 95, 96, 97 ... 182, 183, 184  Next
Page 96 of 184