Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Give me your favourite mountain passes in Wales

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

faffergotgunz
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:48 - 06 Sep 2016    Post subject: Give me your favourite mountain passes in Wales Reply with quote

Please Very Happy

Want to organise a few trips for the next 6 months. South or North Wales, let me know your favourite passes. Links get bonus points Wink

Found a gem last year to Lake Vyrnwy from Dinas Mawddwy and then over to Bala. Really quiet, lovely views of the mountains. https://www.google.co.uk/search?redir_esc=&client=tablet-android-digiin&hl=en-US&safe=images&oe=utf-8&q=lake%20vyrnwy&source=android-browser-suggest&qsubts=1473155124810&devloc=0

arthurmo
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:44 - 06 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

llyn Brianne. I love this route go about once a month and never get tired of it

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Llyn+Brianne/@52.1365313,-3.7454875,15.5z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x486fba96d6b2e2ed:0x486fbaa07ad7e0fb!8m2!3d52.1358061!4d-3.7473021

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 06 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really a "mountain" pass all the way, but have a look at the trip from the Ponderosa (Horseshoe Pass) down through the Nant-y-Garth pass. It's a cracking run if you're not scared of corners or damp roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N8k4sAxtq8

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:39 - 06 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, not sure you'd call it a pass, but the take the road up by the Clywedog reservoir, B4518 from Llanidloes. A bit after the reservoir, turn left for Dylife. This road has some great viewpoints, views of Cadair Idris etc.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 06 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Betws-y-Coed, head west to Capel Curig take a left onto A4086 to Llanberis. I think it's one of the highest passes through Snowdon. Then head over to Caernarfon for a pint in the Blackboy Inn. Beauty.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:13 - 07 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

paddywinz wrote:
Then head over to Caernarfon for a pint in the Blackboy Inn. Beauty.

I'd stick with just the pint rather than the food, though, unless you've got a comfy toilet and a lot of balsam infused bog roll. Moat uncomfortable night ever after one of their 'fish specials'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

faffergotgunz
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:22 - 07 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a curry house in Llanberis that served us well, if the food in the pub isn't any good.

Shop in Betws y Coed (Spa I think?) Does a pasty the size of a head! Beef Ogees they are called. £3.50 well spent!

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:12 - 07 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

paddywinz wrote:
Betws-y-Coed, head west to Capel Curig take a left onto A4086 to Llanberis. I think it's one of the highest passes through Snowdon. Then head over to Caernarfon for a pint in the Blackboy Inn. Beauty.

Called Nant Pass.
One of my personal faves as well.

Little known one but i like Synchant pass, it is very short though.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:42 - 07 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give you a couple of utterly shocking ones.

Really terrible roads, don't take a motorbike on them other than to marvel at how they can still be classified as an actual road.

One is Hellfire Pass (Bwlch y Groes).

The other is the road Signposted Worlds End.

For extra fun, do them in the snow.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 07 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I'll give you a couple of utterly shocking ones.

Really terrible roads, don't take a motorbike on them other than to marvel at how they can still be classified as an actual road.

The other is the road Signposted Worlds End[/url].

I'll vouch for this one being truly awful, as it's local to me. 15-20 all the way (Assuming you still have a round front wheel from the potholes), suicidal sheep, howling winds, horizontal rain (It was sunny in Wrexham at the time), farmers who give less of a fuck about road rules than most Beemer/Audi/Merc drivers.

If you like misery and pain, you'll love it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:17 - 07 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

I'll vouch for this one being truly awful, as it's local to me. 15-20 all the way (Assuming you still have a round front wheel from the potholes), suicidal sheep, howling winds, horizontal rain (It was sunny in Wrexham at the time), farmers who give less of a fuck about road rules than most Beemer/Audi/Merc drivers.

Did it last February when there was enough snow to leave only a single black line up one side of the road. I'd promised my mate I'd take him on the worst road in Britain.

Got over the top and into the trees then realised I'd totally forgotten about the ford halfway down the 14 degree switchbacked descent on the other side, which was frozen solid.

Happy days.

Oh, and I'll roll out my comedy Hellfire pass video.
https://vid48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/dragon2014/CIMG1497_zps57b9e3b9.mp4
Vifferguy This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 07 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Did it last February when there was enough snow to leave only a single black line up one side of the road. I'd promised my mate I'd take him on the worst road in Britain.

Got over the top and into the trees then realised I'd totally forgotten about the ford halfway down the 14 degree switchbacked descent on the other side, which was frozen solid.

Happy days.

Oh, and I'll roll out my comedy Hellfire pass video.
https://vid48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/dragon2014/CIMG1497_zps57b9e3b9.mp4

If you are showing your mate the sheer awesomeness, give us a yell, I'm up for a ride over there.

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 07 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite Pass https://youtu.be/vDYP-tL3mPE

Nantlle Valley is another good one, not exactly a pass but as good as. You can do a great loop past Llyn Cwellyn, Tremadog and Penygroes, it takes in much epic mountain scenery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Cyclingbiker
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:03 - 07 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fancy the B4391 from Llangynog to Bala, it's a proper mountain pass and I've had plenty of fun on there but watch out for the large drop on your left if you're heading towards Bala.

https://goo.gl/maps/HvRj7yZsMpu

Mod 1 - Passed - 12/11/12 --- Mod 2 - Passed - 26/11/12

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:04 - 08 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wotcha.

OK - so Stinky said Hellfire Pass was a bit naff . . . .

. . . but when the sun shines, it's a great road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i2fOI4jwjw

Has both the Horseshoe Pass and Hellfire Pass.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:37 - 08 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

arthurmo wrote:

Wotcha.

I was there two weeks ago on my BSA B31 . . . ( from about 11 minutes onward. )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lpp0UBp7Ww

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:45 - 08 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyclingbiker wrote:
I fancy the B4391 from Llangynog to Bala, it's a proper mountain pass and I've had plenty of fun on there but watch out for the large drop on your left if you're heading towards Bala.

https://goo.gl/maps/HvRj7yZsMpu

Weirdly, I was going to do that today, along with the Nant-y-Garth & Horseshoe Passes. It's a nice loop around a fair chunk of The Berwyn's. (Week off, missus is meeting her mate, would be very rude not to go for a ride in the hills, given where I live). However, having looked out of the window, I'll probably put new bits on the bike instead.

Here's the route anyway, it might be good to tack onto a day out in N.Wales.

Wrexham - Llanrhaeadr yn Mochnant, B4500
Llanrhaeadr yn Mochnant - Penybontfawr , B4580
Penybontfawr - Llanderfel (Bryntirion Inn), B4391
LLanderfel (BrynTirion Inn) - Corwen, B4402, B4401
Corwen - Pandy'r Capel, A5, A494
Pandy'r Capel - Llysfasi - B5249
Through the NAnt-y-Garth pass (A535).

Once out of it (straight leading to an adverse camber right-hander, brown sign for a fishery), you want an immediate turn right onto the A542.

Follow A542 over the roundabout and through to the Horseshoe pass, and then onto to Llangollen. Here you can carry on on the A539 (A roads, towns & villages), or cross the bridge in Town to take the A5, A483 (dual carrigeway) back to Wrexham. Both are signposted.

The BrynTirion makes a good place for a stop if you want. It takes about 2-3 hours, depend on whether you are attempting to be the next Rossi or enjoying a nice bimble around.

I have a google maps overlay/route of the non dual-carrigeway loop if anyone wants it.

Edited because I forgot how to grammar.
2nd edit - It was sunny, got up to Horseshoe (Doing the route backwards), and saw the *black* clouds past it... nice coffee, and a bimble back home . Put a new 'zorst on her instead.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 230 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1