Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Torn between three bikes..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Icypanda
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:47 - 11 Sep 2016    Post subject: Torn between three bikes.. Reply with quote

Hi guys! I'm new to the forum so do bare with me Smile

I recently passed my A2 test (Unfortunately I couldn't do the DAS since i'm only 22) and now i'm looking at upgrading my current cbr 125. My three choices are the cbr 300, ninja 300 & the cbr 500. Now the funny thing is the ninja 300 and the cbr 300 are pretty much identical in terms of pricing for a second hand bike. A decent cbr 500 is going to cost me around half a grand or more.

My new bike will be mainly used for commuting with short trips around London. What bikes out of the three would you guys recommend?

Thanks for viewing my thread!

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:57 - 11 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, do you know the inssurance rates for these? The CBR500 seems to be like the best option, because of more torque. But, I think I'd go for any of those three, which I could inssure the cheapest. As you mention your age, I can see you are going to get an adults motorcycle in 2 years, so there's not point in spending more money now.

And as always, go and have a sit on those, before you decide. But the insurance rate would be an important aspect of it, if I was in the same situation, as you are.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:58 - 11 Sep 2016    Post subject: Re: Torn between three bikes.. Reply with quote

Icypanda wrote:
bare with me Smile

https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh173/Smilie1984/Futurama-FryeMooning.gif
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Icypanda
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:09 - 11 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Interesting, do you know the inssurance rates for these? The CBR500 seems to be like the best option, because of more torque. But, I think I'd go for any of those three, which I could inssure the cheapest. As you mention your age, I can see you are going to get an adults motorcycle in 2 years, so there's not point in spending more money now.

And as always, go and have a sit on those, before you decide. But the insurance rate would be an important aspect of it, if I was in the same situation, as you are.

I actually had my insurance rates noted down they are as follows:

Ninja 300 - £849 Yearly

CBR 300 - £575 yearly

CBR 500 - £621 Yearly

I should state that I live in London so insurance rates will be slightly higher than most other places in the country. Yeah the CBR 500 does seem like the better option in terms of the money to performance ratio. Filtering will also be a huge thing for me as central London is always jam packed regardless of the time of day! Not sure how the ninja fairs with that in comparison to the CBR's.

Icypanda
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:10 - 11 Sep 2016    Post subject: Re: Torn between three bikes.. Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

I've already been trolled Laughing Rolling Eyes

Nomad Z
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:29 - 11 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icypanda wrote:
Yeah the CBR 500 does seem like the better option in terms of the money to performance ratio.

Don't really know the bikes, but I'm tempted to agree.

Quote:
Filtering will also be a huge thing for me as central London is always jam packed regardless of the time of day! Not sure how the ninja fairs with that in comparison to the CBR's.

I wouldn't look at it like that, but on whether the CBR500 is okay for filtering in and of itself, and I'm sure it is. I filter daily on my Gladius (650, 200kg, upright position) with no issue, and plenty of people do the same on other bikes.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:34 - 11 Sep 2016    Post subject: Re: Torn between three bikes.. Reply with quote

Icypanda wrote:
My new bike will be mainly used for commuting with short trips around London. What bikes out of the three would you guys recommend?

Option 4, the CB500F naked. Not as popular as the 'R' (or the 'X') thus cheaper, less plastic to worry about, and it's not like you need aerodynamics while filtering.

Before you go buying used, I'd have a look on eBay for new examples. At the time of writing, I can see a brand new CBR300R for sale for £3600, OTR, delivered to your door.

Nomad Z
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:51 - 11 Sep 2016    Post subject: Re: Torn between three bikes.. Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Option 4, the CB500F naked. Not as popular as the 'R' (or the 'X') thus cheaper, less plastic to worry about, and it's not like you need aerodynamics while filtering.

Just googled the two. Yes, CB500F looks the better choice.

Icypanda
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:52 - 11 Sep 2016    Post subject: Re: Torn between three bikes.. Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Icypanda wrote:

Before you go buying used, I'd have a look on eBay for new examples. At the time of writing, I can see a brand new CBR300R for sale for £3600, OTR, delivered to your door.

I had a look on eBay and funnily enough I came across the very same listing, it's just that if i'm going to pay £3600 for a new 300 I might aswell pay a few hundred pounds more and lean towards the bike that has more to offer. (being the cbr 500)

Icypanda
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:53 - 11 Sep 2016    Post subject: Re: Torn between three bikes.. Reply with quote

Nomad Z wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Just googled the two. Yes, CB500F looks the better choice.

I'll have a look at the CBF500 and see if I can get cheaper insurance for that bike.

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:37 - 11 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this isn't what you're looking for, but you're going to get bored of those bikes quickly.

Don't get a little shitter, get a bigger bike and pretend you've restricted it with a couple of Ebay-special washers for £60.

Bandit (blandit) being the favourite among A2 riders.

Would probably neck myself after being on a Ninja 300 for two years.

Icypanda
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:39 - 11 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbond65 wrote:
I know this isn't what you're looking for, but you're going to get bored of those bikes quickly.

Don't get a little shitter, get a bigger bike and pretend you've restricted it with a couple of Ebay-special washers for £60.

Bandit (blandit) being the favourite among A2 riders.

Would probably neck myself after being on a Ninja 300 for two years.

I would do that but i'd be abit too paranoid of getting caught out if im honest.
Vifferguy This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

sinedtomuch
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 07:53 - 15 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with my mate to view the CB500R when it was new and it was very disappointing, its trying to be something its not - fast. Very plasticy feeling to it however it is the gap in the market as I can't think of any other "sporty" A2 compliant 500cc + bikes.

Personally you'll get bored of them all anyway so grab the cheapest/most aesthetically pleasing to you. SV650 is always a favourite, can buy one, insure it and run it for the year and still have change from £3000.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 02 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be serious with yourself, how long are you going to keep an A2 bike? What will you lose when you sell it? An SV/SFV and restrictor kit can be found for less money. An older bike will be less to insure, and you'll have spare change for the A licence. Or buy an older a2 compliant bike and lose less whne you sell it on.

Of course for the A licence there's "I derestricted it in the carpark", easy with an EFI SV that uses a interchaingable ignition modules, harder but still blaggable with a fzs600.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Mark65
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 03 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a CBR300 , 92mpg when run in, a bit vibey above 50mph. I test rode a CBR500 and found there wasnt much between them really, I spoke to a chap that was on a Ninja 300 and he said he was lucky to get 65mpg but they make there power at the higher rev range. The CBR 300 can have a rattle at 5k and above which was on the 250 as well, mine has it but I ignore it for now as it will be going in the spring, Riding position on the CBR300 is not too bad either, easy to filter. If you want to know anything about it just ask.

nitrosurf
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:44 - 03 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have to be new/newish?

Not 100℅ up on what can be had and restricted on your license but GPZ500, Bandit 600, old shape CB500, SV650 are but a few that spring to mind... Hornet...?

I reckon you'd have more fun, learn more about motorcycle mechanics (as you wouldn't be worried as much and there's no warranty to worry about) and if you get bored and want to sell you won't lose as much (if any) money on it.

Just my two pennies.

🏍
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 205 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1