Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Isle of man 2017

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 12 Sep 2016    Post subject: Isle of man 2017 Reply with quote

Right, have been meaning to go for the last 20 years or so, it's looking possible i can go next year, what's the best way to approach it.
I'm thinking about flying over and camping or maybe taking the car but i think that can be difficult.
How do you do it, bike may be possible but at the moment do not own one.
Cheers

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:51 - 12 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have left it a bit late to book ferry if taking bike or car.
Tickets go on sale in practice week of TT for the following year but as it is only deposit that is paid come beginning of March the unpaid ones become available so it is possible to get something then or alternatively keep eye out for tickets being sold via eBay or TT related forums as they tend to get passed on for face value mostly.Be prepared to get there or return at unsociable times and maybe from either Liverpool or Heysham.
I have been several times both with and without bike and with car once and also flew in a few times and, if you can, take the bike as that is what its all about really and you would regret not taking it.
If you do go on foot buy a pass for the bus etc. which will pay for itself if staying out of Douglas although getting to specific point on course can be awkward and you could be there longer than expected if you get there in first instance.
Accommodation is limited and camping may be best option price wise unless you get home-stay which can be OK.
Anytime I have been it has been organised at least a year or more in advance but worth it if you get it right.

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 13 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Dave Thumbs Up

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:07 - 14 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

your about 4 months too late planning this Smile

As Dave said really.

you can just rock up to the ferry and you will no doubt get squeezed on if your just on the bike. the main issue is probably accommodation. Camping is your best bet this late on, so check every site, ring everywhere you can.

Its an amazing place to visit over the TT, nothing like it really. you could try one of the irish road races instead? i think we're doing one next year instead of the TT.
Vifferguy This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 14 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think flying and camping is the best bet, currently bikeless so that's not really an option high on my list, I'll have to start looking at flights and camping options as soon as then.

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:25 - 14 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

For flights use https://www.citywing.com/ tickets available now for TT fortnight.
Bus/train ticket for however many days you want https://www.gov.im/categories/travel-traffic-and-motoring/bus-and-rail/go-cards/go-explore/

Campsites are all over but ones that stick out from rest are.

https://sillymooscampsite.co.uk/ Near Ramsey (conker trees section)
https://www.ttcampsite.com/ At Grandstand with pre-erected tents if you don`t want to take one over
https://glenloughcampsite.com/ Near Crosby and Union Mills good location for watching.

Also go to main Grandstand ,not the fan-zone ones, at least once to watch and walking round paddock is best on practice week as it is a bit better to see bikes/riders etc as it isn`t so busy.
Bottom of Bray Hill is a must but crowded on race days and the Creg also is a good spot. Hilberry is also a great place to watch.
Bushys beer tent on Douglas prom is good for entertainment on any night and plenty bars/restaurants round at Douglas harbour.

HTH

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:48 - 15 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your flying then thats cool, if all the campsites are full then you cold wildcamp but that could be annoying, but still an option.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 23 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubyhorse2 wrote:
if your flying then thats cool, if all the campsites are full then you cold wildcamp but that could be annoying, but still an option.

Met some Spanish guys last year (2015) at Laurel bank who were wild camping. They were on a real budget and hiked around the circuit for 3-4 days before flying back - young chaps and seemed to be having the time of their lives. Just get the travel ticket and a cheap tent you won't regret it.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

tarlott
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:27 - 23 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always go for the Classic TT/ Manx at the end of August/start of September. I much prefered it when I went a few years back. But a lot will depend on your age as to what you want from the visit. I certainly wouldn't consider going over without a bike and the ferrys/accommodation are much easyer to get a booking for.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 214 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1