Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Upgrade from Ninja 300 to...?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

regret123
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:20 - 13 Sep 2016    Post subject: Upgrade from Ninja 300 to...? Reply with quote

Looking for advice, ideas, etc on experiences with the bikes, misc details such as one having a much larger insurance cost, etc

I am upgrading from a Ninja 300 in a few months, the question is, to what? I fancy my noob self a Ninja person, so was looking mostly there. A simple upgrade to something such as a 650 would be do-able and still be fairly ergonomic, but would not have the power to keep up with friends on litre bikes. zx6r Would have that power to launch and keep up, without falling too terribly behind at any time. My thought on that bike is that while yes, I am young and resilient, its less of an ergonomic bike. Ergonomic and power could come from the Ninja 1000, while avoiding zx10r as it would be toooo much power.

Aside from Ninja, I am open to a gsxr, as that should be as fast as the zx6r with a little more comfort, if I've got that right. Open to that as its comparable in style and would have parts for maintenance more readily available due to their popularity

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:23 - 13 Sep 2016    Post subject: Re: Upgrade from Ninja 300 to...? Reply with quote

Your first problem is finding a buyer for your 300. Don't expect them to be queuing up.

Second, why were you on a 300? From referring to a 650 as a Ninja, can I guess that you're in the USA?

regret123 wrote:
A simple upgrade to something such as a 650 would be do-able and still be fairly ergonomic, but would not have the power to keep up with friends on litre bikes. zx6r Would have that power to launch and keep up, without falling too terribly behind at any time.

The ER6F / "Ninja" 650 makes more torque (and thus power) than the 636 up to about 10,000 rpm.

The Isle of Man TT "lightweight" class this year was won by an ER6F averaging 118mph. Supersport top speed was 126mph and Superbike was 130mph.

Unless you're planning on doing Autobahn touring at 150mph, or are talking about racing on a track with long straights, then the major limiting factor for you on an ER6 will be the roads and the rider, not the bike.

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 13 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

English muvafuker, do you speak it?!?

How old are you? Do you have any license restrictions?

Unless you really are lunatics on the road a 600 will keep up with the 1000's. You may have to work a bit harder, but you'll keep up. Go to a dealer and sit on a few. Depending on how trustworthy you are try and take some out for a test ride. They are all largely the same machine. Very tame and not all that scary until you hit the real high rpms.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:38 - 13 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brief dalliances with 600cc IL4s suggest that there's little point in having one over a twin (or triple, Y-U-NO Daytona?) unless you are going to batter it like a haddock.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 12:12 - 13 Sep 2016; edited 1 time in total

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 13 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a litre bike. Anything it can do that a 600 can't is instaban illegal. If you're struggling to keep up with your friends on 1000s, borrow money from them all because at least some of them will be too dead to ask for it back soon.

My 1000 has 2 benefits over my wife's 600. Bragging rights and the ability to ride it anywhere and everywhere in 3rd, if I so choose. That's pretty much it.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 13 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
My 1000 has 2 benefits over my wife's 600. Bragging rights and the ability to ride it anywhere and everywhere in 3rd, if I so choose. That's pretty much it.

You are definitely not doing it right Wink

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:35 - 13 Sep 2016    Post subject: Re: Upgrade from Ninja 300 to...? Reply with quote

regret123 wrote:
I am upgrading from a Ninja 300 in a few months, the question is, to what? I fancy my noob self a Ninja person, so was looking mostly there. A simple upgrade to something such as a 650 would be do-able and still be fairly ergonomic, but would not have the power to keep up with friends on litre bikes. zx6r Would have that power to launch and keep up, without falling too terribly behind at any time. My thought on that bike is that while yes, I am young and resilient, its less of an ergonomic bike. Ergonomic and power could come from the Ninja 1000, while avoiding zx10r as it would be toooo much power.

Aside from Ninja, I am open to a gsxr, as that should be as fast as the zx6r with a little more comfort, if I've got that right. Open to that as its comparable in style and would have parts for maintenance more readily available due to their popularity

You're over thinking it.

How comfy a bike is is subjective.

Whether or not you can keep up on a 600 with your mates on litre bikes will largely depend on who's the fastest rider as opposed to who has the biggest engine.

Get whichever you the most and that you can find for a good price.

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:12 - 13 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK: Adjust rider until bike can keep with friends on litre bikes, as there's nothing wrong or deficient with a 300. Lots of fun.

USA: Buy leader bike to prove you're a man.

rhys99
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:32 - 13 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

judging by the fact he called the z1000sx a ninja 1000, he's american. In which case he only rides in a straight line and around right angle intersections, might as well get a litre bike.
21:16:02 Fin: I got a girl to believe I have a huge dick today, she's going to be so disappointed
K̶5̶ ̶S̶V̶6̶5̶0̶S̶ K3 SV650N

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 13 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently got an R1...
To much muchness to be any fun whilst abiding by the law (as previously said, anything it can do that my old 600 couldn't is illegal and insta-ban territory).
Maybe look at a 600 and get to grips with that.
I know a chap who rides an R6, last track day the only bike infront of him was an R1 and there were plenty of litre bikes waayyyyy behind him!

aka. its more about who's riding what what you're riding.

Note: May not apply in US if there are no twisties... Emigrate!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 17:24 - 13 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm upgrading to an R6 soon personally. I have a Ninja 300 atm.

Fuck selling it privately, going to take the hit and trade it in because lazy bastard reasons (if it isn't a massive hit, otherwise might actually have some patience). As borg said, it'll be hard to shift.

sinedtomuch
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:35 - 14 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
I have a litre bike. Anything it can do that a 600 can't is instaban illegal. If you're struggling to keep up with your friends on 1000s, borrow money from them all because at least some of them will be too dead to ask for it back soon.

Third? I've hit illegal speeds in first whilst being under the red line. Suppose third is good if you don't want to lose your hearing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:45 - 14 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP could not handle his 300, died before replying. Sad

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 14 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinedtomuch wrote:
angryjonny wrote:

Third? I've hit illegal speeds in first whilst being under the red line. Suppose third is good if you don't want to lose your hearing.

I read this morning the zx10r is good for 104 in first.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 14 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinedtomuch wrote:
angryjonny wrote:

My 1000 has 2 benefits over my wife's 600. Bragging rights and the ability to ride it anywhere and everywhere in 3rd, if I so

True. On most bikes I've owned the 0-60 time has been down to how quickly I could get it into 2nd. Not the case with this one. I'm not going to ride around everywhere in 1st though. 3rd sounds a bit saner. Point is, I can ride lazy if I wanna.

sinedtomuch
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 07:47 - 15 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

angryjonny wrote:
True. On most bikes I've owned the 0-60 time has been down to how quickly I could get it into 2nd. Not the case with this one. I'm not going to ride around everywhere in 1st though. 3rd sounds a bit saner. Point is, I can ride lazy if I wanna.

The blade is good to about 90 in first, but I don't like the idea of holding it there for prolonged time as it just hurts my ears.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 15 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I maintain that an ER6f is a Ninja 650. It said so on the manual.

SuperMike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:18 - 15 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I echo the above. I have a midlife crisis about to hit in a few years and I have my eyes on the new Fireblade assuming we get a big model refresh next year. I am unsure however whether I will follow through on this. My CBR650 will do 70 in first and that is a watered down 600. Interesting to hear the thoughts of current litre owners. I do sometimes wonder how anyone keeps their license with one.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:03 - 16 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
I maintain that an ER6f is a Ninja 650. It said so on the manual.

Then go out today wearing just pants if you like Murcanisms so much. Razz

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:28 - 16 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a cool Kawasaki documentary on Youtube, where the guy who came up with the 'Ninja' idea in the 80s explains his justification for it. He said, it's a mix of positive and negative things, which makes a kind of sense. For example, as we know from some movies, ninjas are powerful, athletic, brave and very cool (positive) but not always ethical, and can callously kill innocent people when ordered (negative). Real ultimate pouvoir! Just as some bikes may sound and feel good but be unreliable. He also said that's why Kawasaki chose the colour green to be their default colour - because it was bad luck for Americans to have a green bike. Clearly, a lot of deep and profound thought went into it. On the other hand: 'Another biker! Emergency Room 6! F*ck!' or whatever ER6F may stand for. So, calling the bikes Ninjas may be better than the mysterious kabbalah of motorcycle letters.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:00 - 16 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:
Real ultimate pouvoir!

The purpose of a Ninja is to flip out and kill things? Thinking Shocked

nitrosurf
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:20 - 16 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless they're turtles, in which case they flip out and and merely batter things without drawing blood. PG13 yo.

OP, where are you (not geographically, like where have you gone)? Also, must it be a new bike?

When's a ZRR not a ZRR? In Murcia, that's where. F##k yeah.

🏍

SkyBadger
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:33 - 28 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just ask what's wrong with the Ninja 300? I'm seriously considering this as my 1st bike... (after being talked out of getting a 125)
AltimKing This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:44 - 28 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrk wrote:
Can I just ask what's wrong with the Ninja 300? I'm seriously considering this as my 1st bike... (after being talked out of getting a 125)

You'll be doing your DAS training and tests on on something like an ER6. Over twice the capacity, well over twice the peak torque of the Ninja 300.

By the time you're licensed up, you'll be used to that size of bike. A 300 is a big step down from there.

Now, you might enjoy that. When I'm in the mood, my Ninja 250 is a hoot. Low gears, thrash it hard, weave through traffic, bawitdaba bang da dang diggy diggy. But today it's tipping it down and coming on for blowing a gale, and all I wanted was to trundle into work on 1/4 throttle with the least possible drama and without being blown into a ditch.

If I had to pick one bike from what I've had, it would be my Nazi Tractor. Big lazy flexible twin, a smooth, stable, do-anything bike. It's the bike that I've kept for longest because I can't find any reason to get rid of it. An ER6 (for example) is going to be similarly capable.

Don't decide anything before you're licensed up and have a basis for comparison, is all.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 204 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2