Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kawasaki Z900.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

kernel gadaffi
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:23 - 15 Sep 2016    Post subject: Kawasaki Z900. Reply with quote

From what my mate tells me, Kawasaki are bringing out a new Z9, mmmmmmmm, wonder what it will be like?

1996 Mark 1 Suzuki Bandit 600.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:44 - 15 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to the Z800. Promising and then let down by Kawasaki not actually doing anything fun with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave500
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:31 - 15 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen some pics of it on MCNs website...looks good Thumbs Up

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 15 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we talking about this?
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=315589

MCN article calls it Z900RS

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:01 - 15 Sep 2016    Post subject: Re: Kawasaki Z900. Reply with quote

kernel gadaffi wrote:
wonder what it will be like?

I think it'll be significant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUS3ZpgMORg

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 15 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is supercharged then interesting.

Otherwise, i'm oot.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 16 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:

Otherwise, i'm oot.

Coming later, depending I guess on relative success of base model.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 72 days between these two posts...

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:02 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumporama:

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2017/october/2018-kawasaki-z900rs-revealed-tokyo-show/

https://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/PageFiles/636333/1000x750/Kawasaki_Z900RS_008.jpg

https://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/PageFiles/636333/1000x750/Kawasaki_Z900RS_011.jpg

https://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/PageFiles/636333/1752x1168/Kawasaki_Z900RS_018.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&scale=down

Looks like Kung Pow was right. It will be significant.

A few bits you'd have to sort out - like getting rid of the crap reflectors and the horn sticking out up the front, but the exhaust isn't too shabby for a new bike and by the sounds of it, it has some noise and tone to it so that's not a bad start.

215kg claimed weight is no featherweight but it's hardly iron girder stuff either these days.

I'm a fan Thumbs Up

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah nice - for that retro look. And looks are everything in this ahem "segment". This is easier on the eye than the XSR9.

One bit my eye keeps getting drawn to, though, and which just seems a bit wrong, is the side panel. I feel like they either need to be a bit bigger or a bit smaller. As it is, the bottom edge of the panel seems to fall awkwardly between to lengths of tube, creating yet further linearity and thus a less elegant aesthetic, he opined, as he tamped out his favourite briar and settled into the room's most comfortable wingback chair.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:01 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s not bad but ideally it needs wires and four pipes.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah. Well, yeah but if that was in the showroom alongside the H2SX, I'd be drooling over the latter.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been interested in the standard z900 personally, got a test ride in 2 weeks which I may or may not bail on. Not decided.

I was under the impression the standard z900 was replacing the z1000, but I'm not sure that's the case?

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacon wrote:
I've been interested in the standard z900 personally, got a test ride in 2 weeks which I may or may not bail on. Not decided.

I was under the impression the standard z900 was replacing the z1000, but I'm not sure that's the case?

From my bikey bike magazine I got last week, the new range seems to be the Z900(variants), Ninja 400, new ZX10RHRESxFS(all the letters) and the replacement, it seems, for the Z1000 is the v2. supercharged H2SX at around £15k

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually quite like the look of this. A poke in the eye of the melty headlight brigade taking over modern naked bike design right now.

It's what i'd call 'conventionally handsome.'

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:31 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Yeah nice - for that retro look. And looks are everything in this ahem "segment". This is easier on the eye than the XSR9.

One bit my eye keeps getting drawn to, though, and which just seems a bit wrong, is the side panel. I feel like they either need to be a bit bigger or a bit smaller. As it is, the bottom edge of the panel seems to fall awkwardly between to lengths of tube, creating yet further linearity and thus a less elegant aesthetic, he opined, as he tamped out his favourite briar and settled into the room's most comfortable wingback chair.

I agree but I think it should be colour coordinated as the old Z range was.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bloody loves that in green

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:

Otherwise, i'm oot.

Mmhmm, that would make it interesting. Otherwise, I think it will be just another average road bike, which is fine if that's all you need, but I don't think it's screaming "BUY ME!" from an excitement point of view, and although the looks are acceptable (to me), it ain't lighting any fires in that department either.

GT200Fan79 wrote:
ideally it needs wires

I'd pass on that though. Might be ok for the classic look, but sod keeping em looking nice, and to me it doesn't look like much more than a commuter.
Nope, I'd have my Street Triple back before I considered one of these, unless commuter was all it was for. Bloody hell, I like something more modern over a classic Kawasaki look! What has happened to me?! Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair if you’re not arsed about the looks you’d buy the normal Z900 and save a few quid. No one’s going to be commuting on a 10k styling excersize. It’s a summer Sunday toy.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:11 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
No one’s going to be commuting on a 10k styling excersize. It’s a summer Sunday toy.

I'm probably thinking from the point of view of when they end up on the second hand market I suppose.
But in my view, a toy needs to be fun. I just can't see this being that much fun to actually physically ride. It seems, on paper anyway, to be a bit too bland.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Z900 lump is supposed to be pretty good so I’m guessing it’ll be reasonably entertaining. It’s also got better chassis parts than the vanilla standard model.

Edit - google says 115bhp at the rear wheel, not the end of Kawasaki’s crayon. Not too shabby.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do quite like the look of that .. Thumbs Up

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said, I think they got the styling mostly right, they are selling on the history of the superbike and of the 70's classic style.

Its a far better looking bike with its ordinary round headlight and peanut tank, than the Yamaha MT range. Avoiding the sharp angry angular look and the high waistline prolife of modern alien face nakeds is to be commended too.

The criticism I have is that some details like the subframe and seat/tail do look a bit hipster instead of just period retro.

Oh and with the uk's changing trend in bike buying habits and expectations, I don't think the weight will be an issue.

Naked bikes seem to be about styling/ standing out, and character now. But more than this new bike buyers want electronics/riding modes/ and connectivity etc.

The days of building a bike that's as light and basic as possible, with as much power or engine as you can are over. At least in new bikes and in most people's ideals.

We ain't going crazy over Fireblades, scuffed knee sliders, and replica superbike champion paint jobs, like we used to.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
As said, I think they got the styling mostly right, they are selling on the history of the superbike and of the 70's classic style.

Its a far better looking bike with its ordinary round headlight and peanut tank, than the Yamaha MT range. Avoiding the sharp angry angular look and the high waistline prolife of modern alien face nakeds is to be commended too.

Eh?? Kawasaki do plenty of pointy crap. And conversely Yamaha do some round light retro stuff too. So you've got to compare like with like. Hence why I mentioned the XSR900 - there is also the XSR700. These are the bikes you should be comparing to the new Z9, not the MT range, because both manufacturers are going for a retro look.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point. But it's my opinion that even though people say retro style has peaked, that it will remain cool for longer than all these current judge dread bikes that look all transformers and alien.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 142 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3