Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Follow on from: "Problems after selling the TL..."

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

RiderOfTheSto...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:35 - 26 Aug 2004    Post subject: Follow on from: "Problems after selling the TL..." Reply with quote

I thought Ste’s thread was very interesting as I have often thought what would happen in that situation. One question I have, though, is regarding letting someone test ride your bike or you test riding someone else’s bike. Would you require proof that the buyer is insured before you let them test ride it? If not would you ask them for a deposit before they take the bike out on the road, if so how much? And if you go to test ride a bike do you make sure that you are insured first?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:40 - 26 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legally if they got stopped on your bike and didn't have insurance then you would get done as well, so it is sometimes worth checking out. I'd ask for two forms of ID (driving license and passport) so if they don't come back I know who they were, and either car/ bike keys or a cash deposit so they do have to come back. And would be on a "break it you've bought it" basis. if I knew the person then would be okay with out all that, would ask for insurance paperwork if I didn't know them, but am okay with letting people I know ride my bike if they're not insured on it. If it was someone I didn't know I reckon 50% and they'd get their ID back when the bike was returned in the same condition it was before they tried it. Would ask for deposit regardless of if they have insurance or not, lots of insurance will cover you TPO on other peoples bikes so wouldn't be able to claim if they crashed it anyway.

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 16:40 - 26 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd ask for a full deposit and if they bin it, they've bought it. Not sure how that would stand up legally but it's the most common way of doing test-rides on a private sale I've seen.

RiderOfTheSto...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:47 - 26 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Legally if they got stopped on your bike and didn't have insurance then you would get done as well, so it is sometimes worth checking out.

Would you mind risking that they wont get caught if they are not insured but they leave their ID and deposit?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:49 - 26 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

With people I don't know I'd ask for proof of insurance but people I do know then I'd be okay risking it.

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 16:53 - 26 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not take car/bike keys as a deposit cos if its nicked then you've just lost out.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 17:32 - 26 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or the car might be worth a lot less than the bike!

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 18:22 - 26 Aug 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I do it is they either give me the full asking price in cash before they ride it (the ride is the very last, deciding part of the deal) or I would take them pillion on it. No money, no ride, if they're not happy with either then they're clearly wasting your time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 286 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1