BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

csn
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:30 - 20 Sep 2016    Post subject: First bike Reply with quote

Hi evryone, I'm about to do the CBT near Bristol and I've been seeing some 125cc online, I've seen a Huoniao HN 125-8 for about 500£ online with about 7000 miles.

For your experience, would it be a good bike to learn/practice and commute before trying to take the DAS for A license?

All the best, good rides.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:36 - 20 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to get a 125 (I wouldn't - just go straight to DAS), you could do worse. It's a very basic bike, not quick, but very easy to ride and service. There's a helpful owners' forum too: https://www.huoniao-owners.co.uk/forum/

I imagine it'll be 7000km / 4500 miles.

Things to look out for:

Arrow Flaking chrome, particularly on the fork stanchions.
Arrow Rusty exhausts.
Arrow Check for cracks on the RHS exhaust hangar, where the brake pedal pivot goes through it.
Arrow The sidestand switch wiring runs via a connector block placed right under the bike. It will corrode: grease it, bypass it with a straight run of wiring, or just remove the switch.

Other than that, just the usual issue with any 125, that of being Barried by previous owners to try and eke another 5mph out of it, or neglected.

Haggle every penny off the price and check insurance prices before committing through - you may find yourself paying more than a YBR or CBF, which will quickly eat into the savings over a Japanese branded bike.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:38 - 20 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most will say don't touch Chinese. Stick with Japanese. A lot of Chinese bikes have questionable quality and parts are often difficult to come by as the factory who manufactured it probably won't exist tomorrow. That said, I had a Zontes and it was quite good. I ended up selling it for more than I bought it for after 8 months.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:40 - 20 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your DAS rather than wasting time wobbling around on a tiddler.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 20 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend of mine got Huoniao HN 125-8. He keet it outside and ride it all year. It starts every day and rides fine. What more you can ask from 125?

Huoniao HN 125-8 have the reputation for one of the best Chinese bikes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

csn
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:37 - 20 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies, I'm still looking for other bikes, geared ones, for what I've seen will always be from 600£ up.

I want to try the DAS in the future, but at least for now if I've searched well, getting something like a 500cc to ride in the city traffic to the work, would spend more fuel when comparing to a 125cc, and it would deteriorate faster. Also, I don't have enough money for the bigger bike insurance Sad

The best price I could get for the bike, legal and ready to ride was 550£ (it was missing the MOT). Finishing the deal, I'll have to take really good care of her, like everyone does. Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:09 - 21 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd expect a £550 125cc to deteriorate much faster than a 500cc commuter. And that £550 bike hasn't been MOTed for a reason. Wink

You might find that insurance on a big bike is cheaper than insurance for a 125 because 125's are frequently crashed by kids on L plates and insurance is all about statistics.

csn
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:24 - 21 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
I'd expect a £550 125cc to deteriorate much faster than a 500cc commuter. And that £550 bike hasn't been MOTed for a reason. Wink

You might find that insurance on a big bike is cheaper than insurance for a 125 because 125's are frequently crashed by kids on L plates and insurance is all about statistics.

I get your point, but for someone who has only ride once, maybe about 10 years ago, and it was a 50cc European brand called Zundapp, I'd have to have some lessons before I could do the DAS. It could cost me about 300-500 pounds, maybe. Thinking

It might be better to start with something smaller and not so big/powerful. I imagine that a 500-700cc will be heavier and a lot harder to control for a rookie than a 125, right?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:40 - 21 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having only ridden a bike once isn't a problem as DAS courses are intended to take someone from never having ridden a motorcycle before in their life to having a full big boys license.

Big bikes are easier to ride than tiddlers. Thumbs Up

When you've done your CBT have a chat with the instructor about the time and costs involved with getting a full license. They might be willing to let you try riding one of their DAS bikes around the carpark to give you an idea of what bigger bikes are like to ride and to show you that they're not harder to control.

On the basis that you'll be getting a full license at some point, there's nothing to gain from putting it off.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 07:48 - 21 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel so much safer on my bigger bike than the 125. I wobbled all over the place in wind. It was scary at times. On my Kawasaki, I feel much more grounded. There's less wobbling, it's easier to handle. The insurance is cheaper by around £30 a year. But the tax is £43 more expensive Sad

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:55 - 21 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

csn wrote:
The best price I could get for the bike, legal and ready to ride was 550£ (it was missing the MOT).

So, it's over 3 years old, and not in regular use? It better be absolutely pristine with nothing needing done to it.

Just to check, you're not buying from a chap called Vincent Candelin, are you?

On tiddlers vs bigger bikes, we all say it, nobody ever believes it, but bigger bikes are easier to ride. Better tyres, suspension and brakes, more stable, more road presence, more avoidance options - you can accelerate as well as brake yourself out of trouble.

+1 on blagging a go on a full sized training bike after your CBT. It'll help you to make up your mind.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 21 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

csn wrote:
I want to try the DAS in the future, but at least for now if I've searched well, getting something like a 500cc to ride in the city traffic to the work, would spend more fuel when comparing to a 125cc

Depends which 500, to some extent - I mean, the newer model CB500 might do as many as 65 to the gallon in the hands of a rider who's awesome at slow-to-flow town work crap. And then there's the NC750 which can do over 70 mpg. Suddenly the fuel savings of a 125 don't seem so decisive.

So I think your arguments are better centring on notions such as feeling more confident on a smaller bike because e.g. you can just pick it up and go on your way if you drop it at the lights and e.g. it's smaller dimensions don't seem as intimidating and e.g. it's a bit more like a bike somehow, thus more familiar. Etc.

All these reasons have an element of truth to them - but really they're working more on a psychological level. Also the prospect of the DAS can seem like a bit of a mountain to climb when you're in the unlicensed CBT foothills. But my point isn't to belittle potential preferences for a 125 by pointing out there are psychological shenanigans in play, and that justifications such as fuel consumption aren't really valid. The psychological side of the game is massive - and if you're the kind of rider who prefers taking a few incremental steps, by all means go that way.

I put at least a year and 10k miles on a 125, even though my age meant I didn't have to. No regrets whatsoever. Then when I did a DAS I made everyone else on the yard look like absolute shit. And on the road riding too for that matter. So there is a pay off. What's more I'd have quite gladly bought a CB250RS as a first big bike if there'd been any around. Had to go with a '90s CB500 in the event, which felt pretty unwieldy for a good few months tbh.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

csn
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:13 - 21 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your comments. Guess I didn't searched that well about the fuel saving.

About the feeling of the bike, I assume that riding from start a bigger bike scares me a "bit". I'll try to do as Ste told, and ask if I can try riding a DAS bike after passing the CBT.

Nonetheless, I still have to save some money for the DAS course, now I have enough for the CBT, bike, etc.

As trevor saxe-coburg-gotha said, I prefer to start with a smaller bike, and get some experience. Better than nothing Smile

Meanwhile, I'm gonna do my best to save enough money to be able to take the DAS and buy a 500cc before the CBT expires.

Rogerborg, about the bike I saw online, I'll try to know the name today, the seller is Peter. Do you know about any problems with the bike if it's from Vincent?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:34 - 21 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're OK, I'm just checking that it's not from Bike-Onic or a similar dodgy dealer.

I wouldn't jump at an HN125, and certainly not before you've done your CBT and tried something bigger.

Bigger bike are really not a problem. I actually swapped my HN125 for a GPZ500S, rode there on the 125, rode away on the 500, and I was feeling comfortable on the bigger bike within minutes.

csn
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:48 - 21 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
You're OK, I'm just checking that it's not from Bike-Onic or a similar dodgy dealer.

I wouldn't jump at an HN125, and certainly not before you've done your CBT and tried something bigger.

Bigger bike are really not a problem. I actually swapped my HN125 for a GPZ500S, rode there on the 125, rode away on the 500, and I was feeling comfortable on the bigger bike within minutes.

I'm gonna start saving some money, and try to get at least 2500£ in the next 2 years.

That way, with the 125 I can practice the manual gears, and with some luck after passing the test, I can do like you did and swap the 125 for a bigger or buy a cheap used one.

Thanks for all the suggestions Smile

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:38 - 21 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything about motorbikes is like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNb6qFZ3PSw

The video shows stick (of a certain length) techniques and strategies vs sword (of a certain type). One has the advantage of being sharp and needing less force to be deadly. The other has the advantage of having more reach and being grippable in both hands along its whole length. With basic training, both would be sufficient to deal with an angry dog. That's the level of 'not being a hazard on the road', i.e. test standard. But pitched against each other, they are approximately balanced, as long as the wielder fully understands the strengths and weaknesses of his own weapon. That's the master standard.
No matter whether you start with one or the other, you start at the basic, test-worthy level. But to fully master your weapon takes time and commitment and a lot of practice.
As mentioned in a different post, there's a German called Schaaf on Youtube who can make his Honda CB500 pelt around everywhere, as fast as anything. Likewise, there's someone called Harys who can do the same with his Kawasaki ER5. That's the master standard, where the choice of weapon itself isn't a factor at all - only the skill of the wielder with that particular weapon.

What's your ultimate goal? Is it to be basically competent and not a hazard on the road, to get to work fast and to visit new places occasionally? Then you don't need the master standard. It's like a big class full of people. Some will just want the basics, so they can fend off wild dogs when camping. Others will want to push themselves to the limits. But, as beginners, they both need to train to the get to the basic standard, first. However long they take to get there, or how much it costs, varies according to the individual and it can't be one-size-fits-all.

Last edited by Azoth on 12:45 - 21 Sep 2016; edited 1 time in total

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:38 - 21 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're old enough to do your DAS then you really should as soon as you can. It opens up a world of bike options rather than limiting you to the usually overpriced 125 market.
As for insurance, 125 is very expensive for what it is. I guess doing a training course (CBT) isn't as good as passing an actual test (DAS) so you'll be surprised how cheap a 500cc (or less) is compared to a 125.

As for maintenance/running costs, drive a 250/500 at similar speeds/acceleration as you would a 125 (if you can Very Happy ) and you're stressing it much less.

Obviously the temptation is to pass your DAS and buy a supersport, but if you can control that impulse then a big bike makes a lot of sense financially (provided you don't buy it on finance).

Last edited by Alpineandy on 13:28 - 03 Oct 2016; edited 1 time in total

csn
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:43 - 21 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny, my objective for now, it's just for commute to work, nothing extreme, and to get experience with gears. In the future I'd like to have a bigger bike, that would allow me to do some weekend tours to know new places. I'm not seeing myself speeding with the bike or pushing it (that I feel a bit safer doing on a car).

Alpineandy, I'm 31, I've seen the DAS, but for now it's too expensive for me.

Like someone told on a previous post, I feel more comfortable practising first and, as soon as I can, get the full license to avoid paying 120£ every 2years for the CBT, and to be able to carry pillions.

Now I just have to do my best to pass the CBT and ride a lot to get some experience. Smile

I'll have to see if I can take some time in the weekends to meet some more bikers in Bristol area after buying a bike, and learn some things.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:51 - 21 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, it's a perfectly viable route. I had a laugh on a 125 for a year before moving up, I even got some (sedate) touring done on it.

csn
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:53 - 21 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tawny wrote:
Everything about motorbikes is like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNb6qFZ3PSw

.....However long they take to get there, or how much it costs, varies according to the individual and it can't be one-size-fits-all.

Nice video, I don't know about the techniques, but I understood what you explained, and how they demonstrated it on the presentation.

We all gotta start somewhere, either small or big bikes, like you say....and keep training and riding. Wink

csn
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:56 - 21 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Fair enough, it's a perfectly viable route. I had a laugh on a 125 for a year before moving up, I even got some (sedate) touring done on it.

I'm hoping, maybe to convince my girlfriend to start riding meanwhile, and after the DAS, I could give her the bike and have some company to ride. Smile

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:05 - 21 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

csn wrote:
I'm hoping, maybe to convince my girlfriend to start riding meanwhile, and after the DAS, I could give her the bike and have some company to ride. Smile

Yes, I took my wife up the industrial estate for some illicit back-alley action.

csn
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:13 - 21 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
csn wrote:

Yes, I took my wife up the industrial estate for some illicit back-alley action.

Maybe I can do the same with mine.

I'll come here, meanwhile to say the result of the CBT and how it ended the Huoniao deal.

Thanks for all the info and patience. Smile

csn
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:38 - 22 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have the deal made on the Huoniao...and now I have a doubt about the registration and tax.

Do I have to go to the DVLA to get the bike in my name and pay the tax or can it be done online? Eh?

Can anyone please enlighten me about how it works?

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:17 - 23 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you had to send documents off to the DVLA to get it registered?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 210 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2