Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Am I buying the right first bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:08 - 22 Sep 2016    Post subject: Am I buying the right first bike? Reply with quote

Hello again, my (oldish) friend has found a motorbike. He's always bought cars and motorbikes from him and they're really good friends. The bikes a Yamaha YBR 125 2009, 22,000 Miles, Black, All in good condition, has some scratches, they ride it around for fun in the yard all the time. And guess what. It's only £400. I've not seen it yet and should see it sometime next week. My friend has and said it looks in good condition. I've read up that they are quite reliable but some do have gearbox issues. (Also read that it can be fixed by turning the idle down a touch) I've got all my gear. Insurance for me will be £66 a month for Third Party Only. I was looking at CBR's and YZF's but thinking about how much they cost just for the looks and 'looking cool' factor. I think I've moved on. I'd use this just to get forward and back to school and work, and the long old bike rides. Please tell me what you think, it'd help me out.

Az
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 22 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's running well, that's a bargain. Buy it before someone else does Thumbs Up

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:29 - 22 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Az wrote:
If it's running well, that's a bargain. Buy it before someone else does Thumbs Up
Yeah my friend will test ride it of course before buying it. But even if something is wrong. The parts aren't generally expensive. It's quite a cheap bike to maintain.

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:46 - 22 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four hundred quid?

If it moves buy it. If it stops moving, sell it for more than you bought it for.

Quote:
Insurance for me will be £66 a month for Third Party Only.

Check TPFT and FC (with high excesses) just in case.

On the bike TPFT is cheaper than TPO for me.
On the car fully comp saved us 500 quid on a shared policy.

It's finance, it's not supposed to make sense.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:57 - 22 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

£400?

What's the catch? Laughing

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:04 - 22 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
£400?

What's the catch? Laughing

He has always sold things cheap. he's a mechanic and trader. Will find out if anything is wrong. But even If I do buy it. I can still make my money back as I've seen a 2009 18k miles going for £850.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:05 - 22 Sep 2016    Post subject: Re: Am I buying the right first bike? Reply with quote

Yup, decent bike, and it'll be almost impossible to lose money on it if it's in any kind of running order. Even if you have to replace the tyres, chain and sprockets, it'll still be a reasonable buy.

Dimerz wrote:
Insurance for me will be £66 a month for Third Party Only.

£792 a year? Twice the price of the bike? You're having a laugh. Laughing

Get on www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk and start playing around with different combinations of cover, mileage, job description, security (don't assume adding security will reduce the premium) and see if you can do better.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:20 - 22 Sep 2016    Post subject: Re: Am I buying the right first bike? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
£792 a year? Twice the price of the bike? You're having a laugh. Laughing

Get on www.thebikeinsurer.co.uk and start playing around with different combinations of cover, mileage, job description, security (don't assume adding security will reduce the premium) and see if you can do better.

Life of being a 16 year old, coming up to being a 17 year old in December. Have put down as Almax Series 3 Chain and Squire lock, and DataTag. Did have a Almax chain but refunded it as soon as it arrived because I thought I wont be getting a bike anytime soon. Looks like I was wrong. Although the insurance cost is the cheapest I've seen and I've tested a lot of other bikes.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:31 - 22 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's going to give finance to a seventeen year old?

The bit where Roger said "don't assume adding security will reduce the premium" is important.

For general info about security and stuff, have a read of your last thread. Wink https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=314470

adam80
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:39 - 22 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The insurance price doesn't seem too bad for a 16/17 year old with no experience. I am 36 and a soon to be brand new rider and if I buy a 125 I saw quotes for me at over over £300.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:10 - 22 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

The bit where Roger said "don't assume adding security will reduce the premium" is important.

For general info about security and stuff, have a read of your last thread. Wink https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=314470

I wont be getting the security devices for the insurance, I'll be getting it for my own sake, I don't want a stolen bike. I generally like the Almax Security chain and think its the best out there. I think I'll also get some alarmed disc locks.

adam80 wrote:
The insurance price doesn't seem too bad for a 16/17 year old with no experience. I am 36 and a soon to be brand new rider and if I buy a 125 I saw quotes for me at over over £300.

Definitely not, this insurance is great. If I would get my insurance tomorrow it would cost me £66 per month, third party only and playing around with the security devices, without any It's still the same. Which I guess is good. £66 for 3000-3999 miles p/y and £66 for 5000-5999 miles p/y. Makes no sense lol. Insurance quotes are weird. I guess they just look at your age and bike estimated price. I even put myself down as only being in Education and it's still the same.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:57 - 22 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the security makes no difference on price, don't declare it but do use it. You won't get penalised for having more security than you declared, but if you don't use what you have then you will.

I think young riders (and drivers) get really shafted on insurance. They're almost priced out of the market entirely.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:24 - 22 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:34 - 22 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

MahatmaAndhi wrote:
If the security makes no difference on price, don't declare it but do use it. You won't get penalised for having more security than you declared, but if you don't use what you have then you will.

Yeah will do that, as it does make sense.

Ste wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by finance. Finance for what?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:59 - 22 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the insurance.

It's not £66 per month, it's 12 months of insurance paid for by the finance company and you pay them £66 each month.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:05 - 22 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
For the insurance.

It's not £66 per month, it's 12 months of insurance paid for by the finance company and you pay them £66 each month.

Ste is right. Find out how much it is to pay it outright, get your dad to pay it and pay him back each month.

Az
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 23 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
For the insurance.

I got insurance at 17 where I paid monthly, as did all my friends. The majority of us were full time students at collage too with only part time jobs.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:32 - 23 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
For the insurance.

I don't think it should be a problem, lots of people my age have already got their leafblowing 50ccs and they pay monthly.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:45 - 23 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be interesting to see what happened if you called them out on it half way through. I can't see how they'd enforce a contract on someone not legally capable of entering into one.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 23 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid £400 for my current bike and had to do this:
-rebuild/replace front brake calipers
-replace fork seals
-every fairing was cracked and scuffed
-initially thought new chain and sprockets were needed but were recoverable
-had no coolant in it and barely any brake fluid or oil
-new front light*

So in short, for £400 if it's not been pinched then snap his hand off.

*didnt need this originally, but I dropped it while removing the fairings and it smashed.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:45 - 24 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It'd be interesting to see what happened if you called them out on it half way through. I can't see how they'd enforce a contract on someone not legally capable of entering into one.

Guarantor requirement.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:03 - 24 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked my friend how did the chain and sprocket look like and he said when he pulled on the chain it didnt even come off the sprocket so this is a good sign, he said there were some surface rust on the exhaust but i was thinking of changing it anyway. There are a few light scratches on the framework but we can just repaint the framework a nicer black. The scratches are there probably because it dropped as they said its Cat C 'I think', dont qoute me on that one. My friend is a mechanic and has rebuilt his VTR 1000. But when we go to see it I will update you guys what happened and if i bought it.

Dimerz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 08:13 - 28 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike was sold before I could even see it Sad

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:18 - 28 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Az wrote:

QFT.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 28 Sep 2016    Post subject: Re: Am I buying the right first bike? Reply with quote

Dimerz wrote:
I've read up that they are quite reliable but some do have gearbox issues.

Just for future reference, if it's otherwise smooth, but has issues going from neutral down to first or up to second after stopping at lights etc, it's usually too much oil. Otherwise, they are basic, but reliable. Gear lever is made from cheese, but easily replaceable.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 211 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2