Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I am buying a new bike!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Assomazzo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:51 - 22 Sep 2016    Post subject: I am buying a new bike! Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have decided to get a new motorbike, for no particular reason other than that I think that I deserve a treat and that I am about to pay the last instalment on my current Honda CB500X.

On my shortlist are the Honda NC750X DCT, the Yamaha Tracer 700, the Suzuki V-Strom 650 and the Kawasaki Versys 600. I mainly use my pride and joy for a fairly short commute to work and for the occasional long ride with mates, although I am hopeful that if I go for a bigger bike I will ride more for leisure and maybe one day go on a longer touring trip.

If I get a decent deal part exchanging mine I might even be able to stretch my budget and go for a Tracer 900, or the 1000 version of V-Strom or Versys. What do you guys think about the bikes on my shortlist? Any owners who can give me an informed opinion?

Thank you in advance!

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 25 Sep 2016    Post subject: Re: I am buying a new bike! Reply with quote

Assomazzo wrote:
...my current Honda CB500X.

On my shortlist are the Honda NC750X DCT, the Yamaha Tracer 700, the Suzuki V-Strom 650 and the Kawasaki Versys 600.
...I might even be able to stretch my budget and go for a Tracer 900, or the 1000 version of V-Strom or Versys. What do you guys think about the bikes on my shortlist? Any owners who can give me an informed opinion?

Thank you in advance!

The problem is only you can decide what you will like.

Go test ride all of them. And few more like CB650F:

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/honda/cb650f/2014/

Do you want brand new bike? And If you start adding 1000s the list can be very long...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:44 - 25 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it about your current bike that's stopping you doing all the things that you're telling yourself you'd want to do on a different one?

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:10 - 26 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
What is it about your current bike that's stopping you doing all the things that you're telling yourself you'd want to do on a different one?

Sssshh, someone's got to grease the wheels of capitalism..... Wink

MT07 Tracer has been getting rave reviews, Kawasaki and Suzuki will probably have better finance deals. Thumbs Up

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:22 - 26 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long can you own a bike before you stop being a 'new biker' ... or was this a really short finance deal? Wink

Assomazzo
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 26 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everybody. Val, I hear you when you say that the best nike is the one I'll like that's very true... Problem is I like them all!

Rogerborg, there is little about my current bike that's stopping me doing the things I'd like to do, mainly the size of the engine really. Bottom line it's more about the excitement of riding a different machine I guess, and Evil Hans I don't think that how long you've been riding necessarily makes you an experienced biker. I have been commuting on a motorbike for the past five years, however it's always been a fairly short ride and although I have been for longer rides with friends that hasn't happened very often. Riding, perhaps like driving and many other things, should be an ever developing skill I thin. That is just my opinion mind you, but yes I think of myself as a relatively new biker in that respect.

The tracer 700 is a strong candidate but I am somehow fascinated by the DCT in the Honda NC750X. I will test ride a few machines and I will be greasing the wheels of capitalism, it's a dirty job but someone has to do it I am afraid.

Cheers everyone!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:59 - 26 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assomazzo wrote:
Thanks for the replies everybody. Val, I hear you when you say that the best nike is the one I'll like that's very true... Problem is I like them all!

Rogerborg, there is little about my current bike that's stopping me doing the things I'd like to do, mainly the size of the engine really. Bottom line it's more about the excitement of riding a different machine I guess, and Evil Hans I don't think that how long you've been riding necessarily makes you an experienced biker. I have been commuting on a motorbike for the past five years, however it's always been a fairly short ride and although I have been for longer rides with friends that hasn't happened very often. Riding, perhaps like driving and many other things, should be an ever developing skill I thin. That is just my opinion mind you, but yes I think of myself as a relatively new biker in that respect.

The tracer 700 is a strong candidate but I am somehow fascinated by the DCT in the Honda NC750X. I will test ride a few machines and I will be greasing the wheels of capitalism, it's a dirty job but someone has to do it I am afraid.

Cheers everyone!

Other than for commuting/fuel consumption, why the fuck would you want an underpowered pile of boredom like the NC.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:21 - 27 Sep 2016    Post subject: +1 Reply with quote

Rogerborg makes a good point, why change? Nothing on your list is better than the cb really. Few more ponies, more weight, torque ..meh. ....it's not advice you want, cb500 to r1,10r,gixxer though or fireblade...then yes, but otherwise, just pick a colour you like!

155mph
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:59 - 10 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: I am buying a new bike! Reply with quote

Assomazzo wrote:
On my shortlist are the Honda NC750X DCT, the Yamaha Tracer 700, the Suzuki V-Strom 650 and the Kawasaki Versys 600.

So how is it coming along?

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:49 - 10 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going off the list of bikes your after there doesn't seem to be much difference to what you already own?

So your basically wanting a bigger engine with the sounds of it.
ive never owned a 500, but i cant imaging there being a massive difference to a 600.... not enough to start over with more monthly payments anyway :/

If you dont enjoy long rides on your current bike then the bikes your looking at wont be much better either.

Just my opinion of course Very Happy

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:14 - 10 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Other than for commuting/fuel consumption, why the fuck would you want an underpowered pile of boredom like the NC.

I could not agree with this statement more if I tried. I had one as a courtesy bike for a month. I hated it. Yes it will eventually do motorway speeds, Yes it done silly miles to the gallon, yes it was great for CBT's as an instructor.

But.....

Most bikes get exciting at 7K rev's. This heap topped out at 6.5K revs. I had never been so underwhelmed in my life, Even a 125 seemed mroe powerful in comparison.

Dont get one, you'll be bored shitless in a week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:20 - 10 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinkyfloyd wrote:

Is this after the excitement of storing your helmet were petrol should be lol

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:48 - 10 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnoe wrote:
pinkyfloyd wrote:

Is this after the excitement of storing your helmet were petrol should be lol

Its embarrassing opening the seat and putting petrol in the boot. under the seat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 01:37 - 11 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assomazzo wrote:

1/ I think that I deserve a treat
2/ I am about to pay the last instalment on my current Honda CB500X.
3/ there is little about my current bike that's stopping me doing the things I'd like to do,
4/ mainly the size of the engine really.
5//I don't think that how long you've been riding necessarily makes you an experienced biker.
6/ Bottom line it's more about the excitement of riding a different machine I guess
7/ been commuting on a motorbike for the past five years, however it's always been a fairly short ride and although
8/ I have been for longer rides with friends that hasn't happened very often.
9/ Riding, perhaps like driving and many other things, should be an ever developing skill I thin.

Bulleting points out of your ponderings....

{1} Bike you have is your's; its paid for; it does the jobs required; you are looking for a change for change's sake.. fair enough.

Thing is, change you are contemplating, well, its like lunch isn't it? It's like going into Subways every day for five years and ordering the same sandwhich.. so now you go in and decide to order a slightly different sort of sandwhich.... you're not really opening your horizons very far... I mean.. options go far further than whats on the franchise menu.. you could walk over the road and have a Burger.. or down the street and try an all day breakfast at the greasy spoon, or if you are really adventurouse, that ethnic bistro and try a vegaterian resotto and an elderflower cordial.. or SOMETHING..... But no.... after twoi hundred and fifty tuna & mayo mealdeals.. you ask "Hmmm shall I try the chicken supreme mealdeal for the next five years?" It's not excactly a HUGE change.. is it?

{4&7} You mention the size of the engine being the 'only' thing you don't really like about the 5oo.... and then allude to not having done many longer rides or group rides..... suggesting there is a connection? You dont feel your bike is big enough for longer jaunts, or have the get up and go to stay with 'mates' on bigger bikes?

Lets scotch some of these nebulouse notions at the start; there's folk gone round the world on tiddlers, from Honda step-thru's to Yamaha YBR's and everything and anything in between and around.... your 5oo twin isn't exactly outclssed by any of these things; let alone Enfield Bullets, or even Ted simon (Jupiter's Travels} Triumph 5oo Trophy 'twin'..

Now I will confess that my own dream's of 'tiddler~touring' encouraged by our Snowie, tend to take a bit of a knock~back in the leap from dream to reality... small, low powered bike, that will let you take your time and enjoy the scenery and max out the money between petrol stations is attractive..... but then, I look at the "Seven~Fifty"s deep wide saddle and think "Y~E~A~H...." then look round and see the Range~Rover... with armchairs.. a roof, airconditioning, a boot! and start tallying up 2x motorbike ferry tickets and 2x tiddler fill-ups, and wondering whether the cost incentives are really worth that much..... But still.... twenty five years ago, such creature comforts never entered my sphere of comprehension; and with mates on bikes as diverse as a VFR4oo to a GSX55o 'hard~tail' with probably something like an XT55o and a VFR75o chucked in to fill the middle ground, load up and head off 'wherever' for the week-end. so lets be frank, t's not the bike that's not up for it... its you that isn't up for it!

As to the peer~pressure on group rides? Well... I have ridden in such diverse and esoteric groups; and it can make it all that much more interesting; but again, it's not the bike that makes the difference, it is the people in the group. We all aught to obey the same speed limits and road laws, and even on a 125, you shouldn't hold up a group any, unless they are all week~end warriors living GP fantasies... in which case, you are ALL in the wrong group, not on the wrong bike! You want to live GP Fantasies on the weekend? Do it properly at the track! On the road, you get on with it, and if you want, you play hare and tortoise, and the slower riders 'catch up' at the rest stops and such.

SO... bike you have, does all that it needs to; and could do a lot more, IF you wanted it to......

{5,6&9} You don't think the number of years of riding is what makes you an experienced biker & You make a point about contentious improvement, developing skills... which feeds back; you aren't doing all you could with the bike you have; you are repeating the same experience and practicing the same skills over and over, day in day out... your Tuna & Mayo Sub Lunch..... and recognize that all a new bike will offer is that thin, one hit joy of ownership.... it ISN'T going to expand your horizons an awful lot; its not going to challenge your skill-set, and you will, within a week or so be repeating the same~old~same~old... just on a different bike!

Oh~Kay then... grasping the nettle... COULD you actually get more out of this situation with some 'other' change?

And I am going to offer suggestion, you hold onto the 5oo, FOR NOW; its paid for. It does the job, why switch one same~old for another same~old? Stick with the original same~old... and find something GENUINELY 'new' and different, not 'instead of', but 'as well as'?

How much will you be saving on the monthlies? what would they tot up to over say the next nine months? What would THAT buy you?

And DON'T think BIKE!! Open your horizons!

Would it buy you a foreign holiday? Maybe some 'dream' holiday you wouldn't otherwise think of. Could be an Egyptian Nile cruise; could be a week of getting wrecked in turkish night-clubs; could be a motorcycle adventure across the Moroccan desert if you wanted.

What about IAM? Expand your skill~set on the 5oo. Or a Race~School? Maybe an 'Enduro~Experience'! NEW and different experiences, you could do on a motorbike. New skills to be aquired, and open up horizons. I've no idea what you are paying on the 5oo, but you could probably do ALL of them, next year, for what you DONT pay trading up to a new same~old.

And you can STILL trade up after, if you want... AND who knows what you might be inspired to, after sticking your head over the parapet, having a look around, and NOT changing bike, just your horizons, and sticking your toe in the water doing OTHER STUFF, other than ride to and from work..

You might be inspired to take up SCUBA diving or Hang~Gliding, build a show~bike or restore a classic, make ships in a bottle, or radio controlled hovercraft; go motocrossing or drag racing, take up sugar craft or extreme knitting..... horizons are limited only by your imagination..... and a roadbike might be 'just' how you get to and from work each day, and the same~old, an acceptable sacrifice to do anything else that interests you.

Thing is here and now, you DON'T have to do a damn thing......

Which is an enviable place to be, so enjoy! Take a breather; go to Motorcycle live next month; see what fuels fantasies bike-wise there {but leave the credit card at home!} Take the 5oo out for some longer jaunts, just for the heck of it.

Save the decisions until you have to make them, and YOU really know what you want.

Committing to another credit plan; pledging your future income to the money~men for nothing more than a nebulous compulsion you can, and therefore HAVE to? Its insane mate. Especially when by your own comments you COULD get so much more, and effect real change and get so much more pleasure and joy and experience... and things you suggest YOU actually 'value'. Its changing the wallpaper; rather than going on a proper holiday or moving house, isn't it?

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:06 - 11 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm of the view that it would be a luxury purchase, and the way to know whether it's within your budget would be to simply check if you have enough money to buy it. If you have to buy something on finance or take out a loan, it isn't really yours. Sadly, there is precedence for this. A lot of people who used to ride superbikes in the 90s and early 2000s don't ride at all now. There are minor but significant details in bike choices, which are often overlooked. For example, the CBR600 is and was a great bike, for beginners and experienced riders alike. But compare the price of a rear tyre and new chain on one of those with that on a 500 parallel twin... At some point you have to ask yourself what's the point in owning one, if you can only afford to keep it for a short time, don't want to run it hard, and it only comes out in summer to show to your mates. It's a final calculation everyone seems to make, and sooner or later it kicks the bucket in people's life priorities. The whole thing becomes a 5-year 'phase' in retrospective.

A Japanese guy in his 50s I knew once, who used to be someone in a famous Japanese rock band but had settled for a boring accounting job to fund his travels overseas, told me he didn't have a single guitar these days. He used to have bikes and guitars, but now he had no bike and no car, either. He wasn't short of money. In his words, 'I don't collect things, I collect experiences'. He was more interested in hiking and backpacking than anything. Another Japanese guy, motorcycle engineer for Yamaha in Asia, an experienced amateur race rider, etc. told me his dream bike was the Yamaha SR400, because of its simplicity, etc. Sooner or later high-maintenance plastic baubles lose their sparkle. If it took you 5 years to pay off a CB500X, it's something that bears a little more thought before joining a race to keep up with the Joneses, who will probably flog their Striple soon because back tyre vs baby clothes anyway.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 199 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1