Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

matt1991dunn
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:20 - 23 Sep 2016    Post subject: New to forum Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
Matt from Southport.

Been riding a Yamaha YZF-R125 since I was around 21 and a few months ago sold and bought a Yamaha r1 big bang (2013) and passed my test.

Goes without saying scared myself to absolute oblivion a few times in the past few weeks.

Anyway, just a quick hello and if anyone is local give me a shout.

Matt

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 04:59 - 24 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Matt.

Blimey that's quite an upgrade from a 125 Laughing

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:40 - 24 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take this as a criticism, it's a genuine question.

Did you ever expect to actually be able to use any of the potential of an R1 straight from a 125?

Also, presumably you were expecting the R1 to be much quicker than the 125, but is it faster than you had anticipated?

Just curious, personally I've done small steps over the course of 10 years riding but as yet haven't owned anything that puts out much more than 100bhp - I reckon the biggest step between bikes I've ever made must be something in the region of 40bhp at most, I can't imagine how an R1 must feel if your only previous experience is from a 125!

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:43 - 24 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

2013 R1 at 23, your insurance must be hideous. (mine is about £600 for a 2009 bike).

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:43 - 24 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
2013 R1 at 23

24 at least.

Sticking it out on a "sports" 125 for 3 years when you obviously want something bigger, now that's impressive. Could have been on a FZS600 GSX650FA on A2.

I was just thinking about this, commuting home on my mighty 250 racebike. They used to be seen as training bikes on the route to the full powah equivalent that you really wanted.

However, what are you learning on a small capacity sportsbike? To pin the throttle absolutely everywhere while tap dancing up and down the gearbox, and an inculcated sense that getting out of trouble with a quick squirt of roll-on power isn't an option.

InB4 Tef, small bikes teach you specific lessons that are at best non-transferable, and at worst harmful.

Welcome to BCF. Do you like cats?
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:10 - 24 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX-7R wrote:
[I went from 125 to real ultimate power and lived]

Self selecting sample is self selecting.

nitrosurf
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:26 - 24 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, and well done!

Personally I don't reckon the jump is such a big deal, but what I reckon causes people trouble with they get a nuclear fusion engine with wheels is practise. Or lack of. Get out on it as much as you can; low speed/high speed/warp speed and learn the bike.

Have fun dude!

🏍

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:08 - 25 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
ZX-7R wrote:
[I went from 125 to real ultimate power and lived]

Self selecting sample is self selecting.

Then there are quite a lot of lads crippled or dead that did the exact same thing. Razz

Well, I did quite the opposite, went from the big boys bikes to a soviet era MZ 151 ETZ. It is no secret that I had only 2 motorcycle crashes in my life and both happened on that bloody MZ. Riding a ZX7R, at three digit speeds all the time, and couldn't handle a motorcycle made on the wrong side of the iron curtain, twice. Laughing

I mean, the MZ brochure said, 0-62mph: YES. Laughing

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:37 - 25 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming from a 125 bike to a bigger bike, there are a number of habits you bring with you. The ones that stick with you longest are a tendency to assume you're slower than you are (so if a bike comes up behind you, you move to the side to let them overtake, but they don't overtake), and course corrections around bends.
The latter one stops you taking the best possible line around the bend, because you're skirting around bumps and dry features unnecessarily. On a 125 it would be necessary, as a dry manhole cover, say, can make a CG back tyre slide out scarily around a bend at 50mph. But on bigger bikes with bigger tyres, it's just a small bump and makes no difference. You can just ignore it. You even have some slowing and stopping power at that speed, on the same bend on a bigger bike.

So, I would guess that if you did things the other way around (big bike, then down to a 125), you wouldn't be making those line corrections around bends, when perhaps you should.

matt1991dunn
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:48 - 26 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys.

I appreciate fully the move from a 125 to an r1 is audacious however I have had dreams of owning an r1 for as far back as I can remember - I could not resist temptation.

For those wondering, my insurance worked out at £1,650 with GoSkippy, this is without pillion cover. The price would shoot up to around £4k with pillion cover which is silly.

Treating the r1 with complete respect and haven't even been close to what it's capable of, main motive is to enjoy it and not thrash the hell out of it at least for a while!

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Matt

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 26 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt1991dunn wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys.

not thrash the hell out of it at least for the first week or two!

Matt

Fixed that for you Wink

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:10 - 26 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt1991dunn wrote:
my insurance worked out at £1,650 with GoSkippy, this is without pillion cover. The price would shoot up to around £4k with pillion cover which is silly.

Maybe.

It's not designed as a touring bike or a pop-to-the-shops commuter, so what are you likely to be doing on it while taking a pillion?

If they're applying logic (and granted I wouldn't necessarily assume it), they're thinking: inexperienced rider on an unfamiliar bike sticking his mate on the back for a Sunday blast up the back roads (ooo-er).

One quick detour into the landscape later and you're looking at the cost of whole-life care for a quadrospazzed 3rd party.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 214 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1