Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Scandinavia - 15 days, 7000 miles, 1 female rider

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Roxyy
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:12 - 27 Sep 2016    Post subject: Scandinavia - 15 days, 7000 miles, 1 female rider Reply with quote

Hi all,

Not long back from my trip to Finland Norway and Sweden so just thought I would share it on here...

In summary:
1 bike - Suzuki GSX650F (current mileage: 57k, bought it 2 years and 2 months ago with 7.5k miles on the clock...)
1 female rider (me)
7000 miles
12 countries
15 days (stayed in Poland for 4 days though and only did 200 miles over these 4 days so 11 days of riding)

First I know I will probably get comments like why do I do such a big mileage in such a short time why do I not do less miles instead and stop in places longer and enjoy the places etc well I don't feel a need to stop long especially when I'm on my own, maybe it would be different if I was with someone, I don't know. I enjoyed it anyway and if I had more time then yeah I would do it over longer period of time but I only had 2 weeks and wanted to do it anyway.

So here's the story..
I didn't know what day I was going to leave until last minute. It could have been Friday, at some point during the weekend or Monday. Finished work on Friday at 5pm and on the way home I decided ok, I will get home get packed and leave. So got home, got packed and left Glasgow at 7pm. Rode to Dover, got ferry about 3:20am to France and rode for the rest of the night and day through France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany and got to Poland in the evening (1200 miles, 24 hours) and stayed there for 4 days.

It was north west part of Poland where I was, so next couple days I spent heading to the east then Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. When I got to the east of Poland I noticed a problem my chain, quite a bad problem, broken chain link... But decided to take a risk and keep going, and if it gets really bad then find bike garage and get it replaced.

So then took the ferry from Tallinn to Helsinki, spent next couple days riding in Finland Savonlinna castle, Oulu, Rovaniemi, Santa Claus village, start of Arctic circle and few other places on the way. Then went to Norway and decided to go to Nordkapp, the furthest north point in Europe. From the start I wasn''t sure if I will make it to Nordkapp as it's a long way, so it was a place I really wanted to go but it was just a big 'maybe'. Anyway I made it. Met two other bikers there, they did almost the same route as me from Poland, only with a difference of few hours. They even took ferry the same day as me to Finland just couple hours later. And they were planning of doing similar route as I was planning to do next, so I spent the rest of that day and following day riding with them.

When we got to Tromso, I decided to take a bit different way. So left Tromso on my own.. About 30 miles later I noticed a biker in my mirrors getting closer so I though 'ok, let's race!' what a silly mistake!! As I accelerated a bit more, he put his blue flashing lights on.. 1.5k pounds speeding fine, was a bit painful... Worse part was that it happened at 3pm, I had to go back to Tromso and stay there for the rest of the day and half of next day and go to pay this fine the following day at 1pm... By the time I got it sorted it was 3, so wasted a lot of time which means I had to start heading back down south the quickest way, not the way I wanted.

But still the same day, I got a lot further than I thought, got to Lulea in Sweden that night so I made up a bit. So I decided to go back to Norway and make the Atlantic Road and Trollstigen. Next day early evening I stopped at the petrol station near Trondheim, there was a group of bikers. At first I wasn't going to talk to them as I didn't have much time, but they approached me and asked if i have a problem with a chain (noise was actually bad and it was getting worse). They said they have a clubhouse 5 minutes down the road and they have a spare chain and that they can replace it for me! So went with them, they replaced the chain, they didn't even want any money for it... Amazing group of guys! And the bikes that they had, mostly custom Harleys but also some cafe racers and one with the side car, was so cool! Just shows how amazing bikers community is, always help each other no matter where on the world you are.

So next day I did the Altantic Road and Trollstigen and then just started heading back towards Oslo, down South of Sweden, through the bridge to Denmark which was amazing! It was like 3 miles long and then down into tunnel. And then just back through Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, France, ferry to Dover and back to Glasgow.

Well that's it. Now just need to wait till April/May when I can go for my next trip.
Very Happy

Here's just a short video of the whole trip, will upload longer videos in next few weeks. Quality is bad at the end cause accidentally changed quality setting in my cam.. :

(can't figure out how to embed videos on here so here's the link):

(TRAILER) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqjP0UyUDy0&list=PLtf-0H6VOgQS1TrWTllMbc8b2CdxTYOoz&index=1

EDIT - FULL VIDEOS:

(PART 1 - ROAD TO NORDKAPP) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6WBtoaQhyE&index=2&list=PLtf-0H6VOgQS1TrWTllMbc8b2CdxTYOoz

(PART 2 - OLDERFJORD TO TROMSO) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etkYxzYHTdQ&list=PLtf-0H6VOgQS1TrWTllMbc8b2CdxTYOoz&index=3

EDIT:
Map of the trip: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1uLbdSRlsEXf6e4aTipctRV2C_ko

Last edited by Roxyy on 12:36 - 16 Oct 2016; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arthurmo
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:44 - 27 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

7000 miles! my bones are aching just thinking about that and the fine would've finished me off.What was the highlight of the trip riding wise Trollstigen or Nordkapp perhaps?

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:40 - 27 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a hell of a trip! Especially from Glasgow. The first 24 hours must have been pretty gruelling (I've done similar in a car and wouldnt want to on my bike!).

£1500 fine is horrendous, what speed were you doing when you got caught Razz

Sounds like a great trip though, I love covering ground on roadtrips and seeing the change in the topography and architecture as you pass through.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 27 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Very cool! Great scenery, really stunning.

Congrats on surpassing -Matt- as the largest BCF fine abroad. Brutal.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:15 - 27 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive. I have only done one trip abroad on my own and like you, I did many more miles than I would have compared when I was with friends. Must be something to do with not sure what to do with yourself on your own. Laughing

£1500 fine, Jesus wept. Still, they have to pay for these migrants somehow.

It's something to look back on many years hence Thumbs Up

Roxyy
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:48 - 27 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

arthurmo wrote:
7000 miles! my bones are aching just thinking about that and the fine would've finished me off.What was the highlight of the trip riding wise Trollstigen or Nordkapp perhaps?

Will upload longer videos of each part of the trip later (next few weeks) that will give a lot more highlight what roads were like.

In the video that I have put link to at the end of my post there are some highlights of road to Nordkapp at the beginning (0:33-1:04) - weather was hellish on the way there rain and wind was so strong that I was mainly focusing on trying to keep my bike upright. Had some moments of doubt even when I was so close 30 miles to Nordkapp I was thinking to turn back, but was determined to make it to Nordkapp and made it..

From 4:35 till the end of the video is Trollstigen, quality is poor cause accidently changed quality setting in my cam but shows what roads are like. Views were amazing, loads of sharp corners, weather was changing very quickly. When going up it was nice and clear, 20 minutes or so later when going down the same way was all misty that could only see like 3 foot in front of me..

B5234FT wrote:
That's a hell of a trip! Especially from Glasgow. The first 24 hours must have been pretty gruelling (I've done similar in a car and wouldnt want to on my bike!).

I did this few times before (1200 miles in 24h) so was not too bad I think I got used to it lol, just wanted to save time

B5234FT wrote:

£1500 fine is horrendous, what speed were you doing when you got caught Razz

wasn't going that fast haha, 131km in 80km zone but that's where it gets harsh (50km above speed limit). They gave me a choice pay fine or go to jail for one month lol. Was talking to some Norwegian bikers over there they said if it was them they would have no choice to pay fine they would have to go to jail, it's just because I'm not from there I had an option to pay fine luckily lol

Polarbear wrote:
Very impressive. I have only done one trip abroad on my own and like you, I did many more miles than I would have compared when I was with friends. Must be something to do with not sure what to do with yourself on your own. Laughing

£1500 fine, Jesus wept. Still, they have to pay for these migrants somehow.

It's something to look back on many years hence Thumbs Up

Yeah that was my second trip this year, 2 months ago I did Pyrenees, south of France and French and Swiss Alps up to Stelvio then back, 4500 miles in 9 days also on my own. I think it's just when your on your own you don't need to stop that often eg to get petrol you just stop when you want. Also most nights it was already dark when I was putting my tent up, while if I was with someone then would be stopping for the night a lot earlier probably more like 5 or 6 not 9 like I did most nights lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 28 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epic Thumbs Up Apart from the chain link, how did the bike do? In fact, how has it done in 50k?

Roxyy
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:18 - 28 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowdonia Rider wrote:
Epic Thumbs Up Apart from the chain link, how did the bike do? In fact, how has it done in 50k?

Bike was fine and with 57k on the clock still not had any major issues with it.

Had flat battery once few months ago that it wouldnt charge so bought new battery.

Chain link could happen in any bike so can't say it was a bike issue. Attached pic of chain link what actually happened to it. Pic taken when I first noticed this, still did another 4k miles on it so it was a lot worse at the time when I met guys that replaced it for me..

Sometimes I'm getting FI light coming on but usually i put sidestand up and down few times and turn inition on n off few times and is ok, it only happens like once a month or two so I'm not too bothered with it.

And few days ago i had some electrical problems for the first time, turned out that there were like 30 wires taped up together under the seat and there was a bolt sticking out the frame and that bolt went through 4 wires, got them taped up and all is ok.

So never had any serious problems with it, got recall letter about the rectifier but still not booked it in lol. Not planning selling this bike so will see how many miles I will do before engine gives up Very Happy

Lupo
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:40 - 28 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the write up, some stunning scenery in the video, really enjoyed it.

TheDonUK
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, 1200 mile day is a big one Laughing

derillius24
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:28 - 30 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cap doffed - that's quite a trip!

Thanks for taking the time to write it up, it's always enjoying reading these reports. Scandinavia is something a bit different, too. The scenery looks brilliant, as do the roads, however the prospect of financial ruin for being pushed on a bit by an unmarked bike or doing a small fistful over the limit is, errm, a bit off putting Shocked . You're made of stern stuff.

Cheers,

Mark Thumbs Up

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 30 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressed Thumbs Up

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:55 - 30 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good write up. Sounds like a lot of fun apart from the speeding fine.

Edit: Went back and watched the video - great. Have been thinking about something similar for a few years - Overland to Murmansk then cross into Norway. Me and my wife go to Europe most years on the bike but haven't had a monster trip since 2012. Need to start thinking big again. Wink

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 30 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, you should have the honorary title of Ironbutt Thumbs Up

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:01 - 01 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awesome, definitely now on my to do list, where did you get the speeding fine? My lot have trouble staying under 90mph so could get expensive quick!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:38 - 01 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome is a word that is over-used these days. I think it actually applies here. Very well done Thumbs Up
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Roxyy
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:41 - 02 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

STONEY! wrote:
Looks awesome, definitely now on my to do list, where did you get the speeding fine? My lot have trouble staying under 90mph so could get expensive quick!

It was 30 miles south from Tromso, I'm the same lol. As long as you stay within 50 km above speed limit (at least close to the cities) it shouldn't be as expensive I think.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 02 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great trip and effort - especially doing it on your own with a tent.

Out of interest, how did the speeding situation get sorted? Was it "turn up and pay tomorrow or you will be Norway's Most Wanted" Razz? Did you get away without any impound/court/ban fiasco?
Roxyy wrote:
wasn't going that fast haha, 131km in 80km zone but that's where it gets harsh (50km above speed limit). They gave me a choice pay fine or go to jail for one month lol. Was talking to some Norwegian bikers over there they said if it was them they would have no choice to pay fine they would have to go to jail, it's just because I'm not from there I had an option to pay fine luckily lol
Sounds similar to my drama. Spanish policia did me for 115km in a 50km zone. I was told by them if i'd been a Spanish resident it would of been a month in custody/3 months community service. Ended up with a £600 fine and 9 month national ban Hurt.

Yours does sound like an epic fine - I thought mine was bad... but it looks like you still managed to have a good trip too Thumbs Up.

Roxyy
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:49 - 02 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Matt- wrote:
Looks like a great trip and effort - especially doing it on your own with a tent.

Out of interest, how did the speeding situation get sorted? Was it "turn up and pay tomorrow or you will be Norway's Most Wanted" Razz? Did you get away without any impound/court/ban fiasco?
Roxyy wrote:
Sounds similar to my drama. Spanish policia did me for 115km in a 50km zone. I was told by them if i'd been a Spanish resident it would of been a month in custody/3 months community service. Ended up with a £600 fine and 9 month national ban Hurt.

Yours does sound like an epic fine - I thought mine was bad... but it looks like you still managed to have a good trip too Thumbs Up.

Well basically I got pulled over, he asked for my licence, I gave him it. He asked where am going and said that my journey through Norway ends here and that I'm banned from riding in Norway and that I need to get my bike transported in a van or something out of Norway. He said I can still ride in other countries but he's taking my licence away and once I pay the fine they will post my licence to my home address. He said that I need to go back to Tromso and go to police station next day at 1pm to pay the fine. Then he made some phone calls to police solicitor and he gave me a permit to ride my bike back to Tromso as I didn't know what to do with my bike.. Then I kept talking to him he made few more phone calls and gave me a permit to use my bike next day as well to get to police station, but eventually he wrote on it that I can still ride in Norway until midnight next day so I could ride out of Norway to make it easier. So that was good but I was still annoyed that I won't go to all the places I wanted. So went to police station next day, paid the fine and asked if I can get my licence back instead of having it posted and they gave me it back and said that I can ride in Norway as long as I like (just slow.. yes officer! lol) and don't need to leave tonight if I don't want to.

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:11 - 03 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxyy wrote:

Bike was fine and with 57k on the clock still not had any major issues with it.

Had flat battery once few months ago that it wouldnt charge so bought new battery.

Chain link could happen in any bike so can't say it was a bike issue. Attached pic of chain link what actually happened to it. Pic taken when I first noticed this, still did another 4k miles on it so it was a lot worse at the time when I met guys that replaced it for me..

Sometimes I'm getting FI light coming on but usually i put sidestand up and down few times and turn inition on n off few times and is ok, it only happens like once a month or two so I'm not too bothered with it.

And few days ago i had some electrical problems for the first time, turned out that there were like 30 wires taped up together under the seat and there was a bolt sticking out the frame and that bolt went through 4 wires, got them taped up and all is ok.

So never had any serious problems with it, got recall letter about the rectifier but still not booked it in lol. Not planning selling this bike so will see how many miles I will do before engine gives up Very Happy

Very nice to see how reliable it is Thumbs Up

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:39 - 05 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

4k miles with an actual hole in a chain link, that takes some balls! Laughing

Sounds like a great trip though apart from the painful wallet. I'd have been tempted to just fuck off and leave my licence then tell the DVLA I'd lost it when I got home.

Roxyy
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:47 - 05 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom_e wrote:
I'd have been tempted to just fuck off and leave my licence then tell the DVLA I'd lost it when I got home.

I was thinking to do that but I want to go to Norway again at some point lol.

Colinzor
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:19 - 06 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow awesome post, really enjoyed the short read and looking forward to watching the videos later, i have them bookmarked ! Can i ask what year your bike is? i have an old 96 GSX750F i planned to do some travelling on myself but havnt got around to doing anything. How was doing this trip alone? i know you said you were riding most of the time and just stopped over a short while in most places. Id love to do something like this but just not sure if i could do it alone.

I have loads of questions but a few off the top of my head Smile

1. did you plan this or just go with what you felt on the day and if so how did you arrange accommodations and food ect?

2. how did you find stopping off in places alone, tourist attractions? a quick look around and back on the bike and off you go i take it ?

3. Oh and roughly how much did it cost you in total, food, petrol, accommodation (camping?) ect if you dont mind me asking

thanks for the post !

Roxyy
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:16 - 06 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colinzor wrote:
Wow awesome post, really enjoyed the short read and looking forward to watching the videos later, i have them bookmarked ! Can i ask what year your bike is? i have an old 96 GSX750F i planned to do some travelling on myself but havnt got around to doing anything. How was doing this trip alone? i know you said you were riding most of the time and just stopped over a short while in most places. Id love to do something like this but just not sure if i could do it alone.

Cheers! It's 2008. I also have 98 blade which I was planning to take but failed my mod2 before the trip so I'm still on A2 licence hence had to take the gsx. But once I get my full cat A licence I will take the blade for my next trip.

It was ok doing it alone, I travel alone a lot and I like to be independent so it doesn't bother me. I didn't feel lonely, I think just cause I'm used to traveling alone. I have mates that I often go out on the bikes with but it's hard to organize it with someone as I don't plan much, everything is spontaneous, I didn't even know when to leave Glasgow only decided last minute. It has it's good sides, don't need to stop as often, only need to stop when I need to which means I can do longer distances quicker. If I was in a group then would have to stop probably more often for fuel etc. And I don't think anyone would be fancy riding all day all night as I sometimes did so again would need more time. I mean would be good to go in a group and have someone to talk to, would be more fun but both riding alone and riding in a group have good and bad sides.

Also I met a lot people along the way, often when I stopped at some petrol stations or other places where other bikers were was often talking to them. In Nordkapp I met other 2 bikers that did almost the same route as me from Poland and they were heading in the same direction so I stayed on the same campsite as them one night and rode with them most of the day next day.

Colinzor wrote:

1. did you plan this or just go with what you felt on the day and if so how did you arrange accommodations and food ect?

A while ago I created a map of places where I would like to go all over the world and I keep adding the markers to this map all the time. Before I set off for this trip I focused mainly on these countries where I was going to go and just googled the places worth going to and good roads and added them to this map. I didn't plan the route though, well my plan was very generic I only planned which countries I will go through but didn't plan specific places. Every day I looked at this map and then I knew how much time I've got left and then planned where to go next.

Re the accommodation, I was camping so didn't have to plan much. I just looked for campsite road signs or if I didn't see any and it was getting late then my sat nav has an option to search for campsites near by and then used it.

Re the food, I was often eating at the petrol stations or stopped at some places like mc donalds etc.

Colinzor wrote:

2. how did you find stopping off in places alone, tourist attractions? a quick look around and back on the bike and off you go i take it ?

Sometimes I just stopped for a quick look around then back on the bike, sometimes I stopped for as long as half an hour or an hour, really depended on weather and if I was in hurry. And if coffee shops were around lol.

Colinzor
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 06 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant some great information there, thanks for sharing this really has me thinking of a bike trip next year sometime even going by myself if the situation arises. so i take it for directions you just planned a rough route through to where you wanted to go and followed the sat nav and road signs? using it to direct you to camp sites ect along the way or petrol stations/food?

seems pretty straight forward. Smile

any language barriers or anything of that sort? im guessing most places you go theyll speak some sort of engish.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 202 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2