Best Bike 250cc+ for filtering in stand still traffic

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:35 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
I personally found it much harder to shoulder check and look around more generally when I rode a little rvf400.

RVF/VFR400's (and most of the old super-sport 2T250/4T400 have a special foot-note in the rider's hand book;
"For shoulder-checks, read 'arm-pit-glances'"
There is a special technique for them; you soft of do a bit of a chicken dance and flap your shoulders and elbows out, then stick your head into your armpit, to look behind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

So; top tips for filtering? Remove the aggression. Keep speeds to a trickle above traffic; keep the revs down, and don't 'blip'; wear an open face, and a smile, and THANK folk for making space... even iof they didn't really!

It's ALL so much in the attitute; and making that voodoo work for you; commanding other traffic with more than road possition, but your MIND.. so they do stay the fuck put, or they do make room, and think you have done them a favor for it!

Its a mental battle, not a mechanical one.... but a more upright riding position and a light clutch can help! An open face hat even more, but remember the smile... and that costs nothing, and starts the whole ball rolling on the 'attitude' given and gotten.

Definitely agree with that. Plenty of leftward doffing nods (if you can't quite manage a left hand wave), and a south paw acknowledgement where and whenever possible always ALWAYS smooth the transition and ease the trickle. I'm slow, but determined - however, much of the progress I do make through the more sclerotic grid locks in town is certainly helped by lots of nods and waves. People may well only be pulling to the left to protect their paintwork rather than help the fearless biker - but it doesn't hurt to assume the latter and thank accordingly.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:49 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

So; top tips for filtering? Remove the aggression. Keep speeds to a trickle above traffic; keep the revs down, and don't 'blip'; wear an open face, and a smile, and THANK folk for making space... even iof they didn't really!

It's ALL so much in the attitute; and making that voodoo work for you; commanding other traffic with more than road possition, but your MIND.. so they do stay the fuck put, or they do make room, and think you have done them a favor for it!

Its a mental battle, not a mechanical one.... but a more upright riding position and a light clutch can help! An open face hat even more, but remember the smile... and that costs nothing, and starts the whole ball rolling on the 'attitude' given and gotten.

Definitely agree with that. Plenty of leftward doffing nods (if you can't quite manage a left hand wave), and a south paw acknowledgement where and whenever possible always ALWAYS smooth the transition and ease the trickle. I'm slow, but determined - however, much of the progress I do make through the more sclerotic grid locks in town is certainly helped by lots of nods and waves. People may well only be pulling to the left to protect their paintwork rather than help the fearless biker - but it doesn't hurt to assume the latter and thank accordingly.

I find that ducking to the left and then riding up alongside the pavement until you've overtaken the fuckwit who doesn't realise/care that they are 3 feet out from it to be much more effective.

It's a remarkably effective technique to call on where there are double white lines as well.

And yes, I do this on the exup.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 29 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prepare for me going a bit https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/images/avatars/8931068674d19505c9d3b7.gif...

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I find that ducking to the left and then riding up alongside the pavement until you've overtaken the fuckwit who doesn't realise/care that they are 3 feet out from it to be much more effective.

Whilst I try not to take major risks, that's a large issue for me too, I don't always know in the moment if I am breaking regulations/being a dick when filtering.
For want of a better word, I'm sure I could 'live' with being hit at low speed, but I'd like to be mostly in the right if it has to happen (yes I actually care more about not being a total fuckwit on the road than possible maiming etc, there's enough cunts on the road as it is)
So if I have to pass on the left, or if my mirrors would hang across the opposing lane I usually hesitate and come to a stop near a driver side door of a car not too far out.

I heard we can use the opposing lane if clear and safe to do so? but not sure if that's true?

Bit surprised by this. Could the cable inner be a little swollen...

Bandit clutch shouldn't be too bad once it's behaving like it should, though. I don't do loads of filtering, but when I do it's easy to get a bit stressed and then end up gripping bars too tight. Could that be part of it?

It's entirely possible the cable is fucked, it was on the bike when I bought it after it being in a shed for 1.5 years, and stored by noobs so not prepped for sitting.
However the Bandit clutch (even whilst simultaneously lubing/pulling it) feels approximately 50% heavier than my CB500 was with a brand new regularely lubed cable.
I don't wank as much as DrBodySocket but I have fairly strong forearms from Bouldering, so it's not unusably stiff, just annoyingly so.

I do lean on/grip the bars too much sometimes due a shit back, but never had balance issues on any previous bikes at low speed.
Nor felt such a heavy clutch, a new cable can't hurt I guess.

davebike wrote:
Best current bike I ridden fro this would be the CB500X
very light very nimble

...You trying to rub it in huh? (My CB500 was recently nicked and top triple tree clamp/ignition was broken so flogged it) Sad
never tried filtering on her, but she was a nice little bike.

mrmistoffelees wrote:
Never had a problem filtering in York on my big old GSXF750 nor do i suffer from sore neck, back, wrists and I'm a proper fatty

Is there a possibility that your erm... 'padding' is cushioning your joints? Shifty

UnknownStuntman wrote:
Duke 390.

<Enter the 'borg in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...>

I like the look of KTMs, but sadly I couldn't pull off wearing the Trackies Thumbs Down

Tef: I read your posts and absorbed them (like a beating when you're being a dick, can be painful, but sometimes it helps!) Razz
Unfortunately I can't quote your post though, it just isn't fair on Korns data storage servers man.
No amount of compression ability due to character repetition can oppose the WORD COUNT! Laughing
Never mind reading your posts, I've read all of BODYGUARDS! Shocked (I have naught but time)

The advice on open friendly face is sound, but sadly I don't think its feasible, I ride all year round (rain or snow) and whilst I am friendly to most non-dicks, it would seem I have resting cunt face.

Honestly since I never ride for fun, I'm liking the looks of these Scootehy suggestions.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 30 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ER6 is nice and narrow and easy to ride slow. Plus it has plenty low down for nipping about and quick escapes if necessary.

Anything light, narrow and upright would work. A supermoto or motard-esq bike (like the Nuda) would be great, the height also gives more view ahead.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:22 - 30 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
Whilst I try not to take major risks, that's a large issue for me too, I don't always know in the moment if I am breaking regulations/being a dick when filtering.

Herein lies the problem; there's NO real rules for 'filtering'; there's barely even any defanition; you HAVE to work to the principle that you are following the general rules of the road and 'over-taking'... and where it's likely you might try and differentiate between 'filtering' and 'Over-Taking', filtering being in that slower, denser possibly stopstart 'urban' traffic; there are more 'rules' you should be observing to start with and a FUCKLOAD more 'hazards' to contend with, and still nothing to tell you 'filtering' is anything different!!

Commuter_Tim wrote:
I heard we can use the opposing lane if clear and safe to do so? but not sure if that's true?

There's no specific references in the RTA or even HWC to define 'filtering', as a practice, let alone an 'offence'. To all extents & purposes, most 'filtering' is covered by rules for passing or overtaking.

If you were on a rural A-Road, (or many other places) it would be almost impossible to 'overtake' another vehicle whithout crossing the central marking to pass a larger vehicle infront, particularly in a larger vehicle; as such THAT is the more 'usual' model for overtaking, and far from being something we 'may' do, it is the more usual and more 'correct' way of over taking.

So, if you forget the word 'filtering'; you are making progress through dense traffic; passing stationary vehicles, and 'over-taking' slower moving vehicles..... Yes, that is not just allowable, its probably what you SHOULD be doing... observing keepleft bollards, solid white lines and the like.

But like I say; model for a simple over-take; one slower moving vehicle on a rural road; only regulations in place are likely to be the posted speed limit and a white line. You should not 'pass' a vehicle passing side turning; you shouldn't cross a solid white line; the number of variables you have to contend with, number of 'offences' you could commit are pretty limited.

Shift that into an urban enviroment; and suddenly you have a shed load of potential regs you could run foul off; so many more junctions packed into shorter road-room; so many more imposed restrictions such as Keep Left bollards, hatched zones, multilane systems etc etc etc, as WELL as so many more road-users all competing for the same space; and not just cars and the odd tractor or horse!

filtering is overtaking in the face of gross adversity, and most significant 'hazards'. ~You do it entirely at risk, and on your wits alone.

Commuter_Tim wrote:
if I have to pass on the left, or if my mirrors would hang across the opposing lane I usually hesitate and come to a stop near a driver side door of a car not too far out.

Passing on the left, is not an offence in the RTA, but it is contentiouse, and HWC says: "only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right, and there is room to do so"

RTA (Last time I looked) is far more ambigiouse. Still doesn't provide passing a stationary or slower vehicle on the left as a specific offence; but it provides places where it is acceptable; noteably in double queued traffic where left hand lane is shuffling forwards and right hand is still stationary or slower, & hence by inference other areas where it could be deemed an offence or part of one, under other provisions, such as Driving without due Care.

PERSONALLY, I dont do it (Habitually). DoseyDoGirls go round the outside! They do.. or so the song says!

Round town, that gap on the left twixt pavement and car, is likely to get filled, and suddenly, by a push-bike hopping off the pavement; or a pushchair shoved by teenage mum on a mobile, or any of a hundred other popup hazards (Crazy OAP's on electric cripple carts are an increasingly common menace, I'm finding!! They're like BMX stunt jockeys waving a pension book!!!)

They're; also where all the crap and shit gets washed to the gutters, and, if you dive into it, when you come out of it, you are likely to find no more 'alley' with a wider vehicle, like bus or ballast lorry, taking up more of it ahead.

Round-abouts or one-way sytems and the like, even worse, where cars will 'cut' the corner and that gap will get very small very quick, or wider & longer vehicles, buses or lorries will side-swipe into that zone to make a turn;

On that note; look for colapsed kerbs on corners of traffic lights or tighter round-abouts and such. That's where the waggons tail cuts the corner when they make the turn, and the back axles regularly mount the pavement! You REALLY do not want to be in that 'zone' when that happens; so avoid avoid avoid.

Even where HWC says it's apropriate, passing right-turning vehicle; it's one I ince at. That right turning vehicle, usually holding up traffic from behind, oncoming traffic, pedestrians, cyclists, teenage pram-pushers and geriatric wheelchair pilots, DONT expect anything to come out of that gap; and there's a very high risk that you will encounter a car pulling out of a side turn on the left, presuming that right turning car is holding the lane clear for them, or someone coming the other way, turning right, accross your bows, or any number of pedestrians wandering to the middle of the road to cross or whatever.

It may be the 'approved' situation where overtaking or passing on the left isn't just acceptable and permisseable, but actually approved, and on DSA test possibly even expected... BUT... it's one very big danger zone to ride into.

Prudence being the better part of valour; I tend to deffer the left hand pass and leave that bit of road for the ped-bois and mobility scooterists; I can usually make much better and safer progress round the out-side, and even if I cant? Well, I can usually make more progress off the line at the next set of traffic lights, or through the snarl on the next roundabout, having 'sat it out'.

You often get a good view, too, sitting it out; when BMS-Boi ounces off the kerb into thet gap and endo's over OAP in the mobyscoot, and ensuing drama of OAP beating BMX Boi with thier pension book, whilst BMX Boi tries to find something to say without a smartphone, Or ped-boi gets into a tangle with a sazo shoving its nose over the line of a side turn or the such; Can be quite entertaining and make the wait worthwhile! Lol!

Commuter_Tim wrote:
The advice on open friendly face is sound, but sadly I don't think its feasible, I ride all year round (rain or snow) and whilst I am friendly to most non-dicks, it would seem I have resting cunt face.

Many have emotive aversion to an open-face; and such suggestions are frequently offered to justify them; they are, I am afraid pretty false though. If you dont like them, or you just dont feel comfortable in one; fair enough, not for you. I ride year-round.. dont have many places to go, I'll admit, but still.

Riot Squad!

https://www.hub-motostore.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/650x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/1/_/1_88.jpg
Open with a face sheild.

Offered my enthusiasm for my Shark Evo 'flip' on many occassions; it is closest to the best of both worlds I've ever come accross.It's an open with face Sheild most of the time, but when the pace picks up or the rain starts to get hard, I can flip it 'on the move'; but I have to say that's not a lot; and when it's so cold as to threaten flurries of snow settling on the screen; it's far less want to mist up than even the best of my old full-face.... and I can still scratch my nose!

But round town, I usually have grabbed the 'trad' peaked open, that doesn't even have a face sheild; even in the lessaweva.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:31 - 30 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm minded to agree (gasps!) that a long-visored open face lid can offer surprisingly good weather protection when worn with a decent neck tube, and makes for much better visibility and more awareness of your mortality.

There's no definition of filtering, but it is now mentioned in the Highway Code at least.

Highway Code Rules for Motorcyclists

https://www.highwaycode.info/rule/88

Manoeuvring. You should be aware of what is behind and to the sides before manoeuvring. Look behind you; use mirrors if they are fitted. When in traffic queues look out for pedestrians crossing between vehicles and vehicles emerging from junctions or changing lanes. Position yourself so that drivers in front can see you in their mirrors. Additionally, when filtering in slow-moving traffic, take care and keep your speed low.

Highway Code - Rule 211 Look Out For Motorcyclists And Cyclists At Junctions

https://www.highwaycode.info/rule/211

It is often difficult to see motorcyclists and cyclists, especially when they are coming up from behind, coming out of junctions, at roundabouts, overtaking you or filtering through traffic. Always look out for them before you emerge from a junction; they could be approaching faster than you think. When turning right across a line of slow-moving or stationary traffic, look out for cyclists or motorcyclists on the inside of the traffic you are crossing. Be especially careful when turning, and when changing direction or lane. Be sure to check mirrors and blind spots carefully.

Sable
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 01 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I burrowed a Ninja 250 a few years back, no idea what year it was.

It was a good all year city bike. Upright riding position, good weather protection from screen and fairings, was even pleasant on the M25/M1/M40. About 80mpg I think.

No idea what the newer 300's are like, but I would certainly consider the older Ninja 250 if I was in the market for a faired city bike.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 01 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

NC700 - the weight is very low down which makes it really stable - I can hold it stationary with both feet on the pegs for short spells, or pick through London traffic using full lock at less than walking pace - it's genuinely easy to handle and brilliant in traffic.
Plus it also cruises at 80+mph (can top 100 if you need it to) and it returns 70~80mpg.

Perfect commuter.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 02 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faired bandit has lots of road presence due to it's physical size and I find lots of people making room for me. My mkII feels really stable at slow speeds and I find the clutch quite light (although not one finger light like the R1). I think the wobbliness of a bike might be down to tyres. Pilot Road 4s are stable feeling. A bit boring even. It's all-day comfortable for bigger riders, I'd consider something else if you are small.

For a filtering bike, you should be able to get your left foot down easily without moving your ass, a progressive rear brake helps and mirrors that fold in and spring back are handy. Crash bungs or an engine cage might be handy, check what is available.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 02 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
I think the wobbliness of a bike might be down to tyres.

Interesting, I replaced the rear already, but the front has bad cupping due to it being old as fuck.
Can Scalloping/cupping harm stability at low speeds as well as high?
I bought a new BT45 to match the rear, so I guess I will see in a day or 2 if that improves things, it is weird, as I can pretty much stand on the pegs and balance the bike stationary... almost.
But going at about 5-10mph it's a nightmare, never encountered it on a bike before, then 15mph+ I could let go of the bars n go straight.

The Bandit first gear does seem to be all or nothing though, I can get more stability with clutch feathering and redlining in second. Thinking

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:49 - 03 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the 300-400cc maxi scooters.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:56 - 03 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:

Yes, a plenty of space under the seat for your purse and make-up. Thumbs Up

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 03 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
temeluchus wrote:

Yes, a plenty of space under the seat for your purse and make-up. Thumbs Up

Honestly I would ride a pink scootehy if it was the right price and ideal for commuting.
I imagine I will miss gears, but I won't miss how useless first gear seems to be on the Bandit 600.
First: Good for 0-7mph, Second: Up to 60 if you push it, Third: To INFINITY and BEYOND! ...just doesn't seem right. Thinking

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 00:20 - 04 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:
Honestly I would ride a pink scootehy if it was the right price and ideal for commuting.

In moments of greater delusion that are the norm, I have many, seemingly 'good-ideas' that involve, 'daft' bikes.

For instance, for SOME bizarre reason, even I cant understand, given that I more usually think trikes to be an automotive abomination; neither bike nor car and the worst of both worlds; I was lying in the bath the other day trying to work out how to craft an a-Frame trike axle from a fiesta tortion beam Shocked

Looking over some rather well executed air-brush work on a VT750 Shaddow the other day, Snowie cheekily suggested i ought to get a Ahrg! CRUISER... which reminded me of a long forgotten daft idea of trying to turn her chinky Cruier-thing into a 'Mini-Max' stuffing in a VFR400 engine, a few years ago...

A SoA inspired cut-screen 'glide, also begged the comment from our Snowie "Have you NEVER even considered a Hardley?" To which I have to confess.. I have. Twenty years ago they were trying to shift Beull lightnings, which, at the time were looked on with bemusement by both die hard life-stylers wanting a 'real-deal' Milwake chop, as well as the street-fighter brigade AND sports-bike fans.... and they bucked the trend of most dealers and offered test rides! Crikey they were so desperate to shift'em at the time, they trailered them out to meets to try and get folk to take'em for a tootle! I have to confess, after initial bemusement.. I was simply not sure what to make of one.... but Mums old rule you had to at least eat a mouthful before you said you didn't like it, made me give it a 'bit' of a grace; but ultimately, err... no... But I could see why they appealed to women! Made me consider that if I were to have to have a Harley, it would have to be a genuine XR45 flat-tracker... this is twenty years back, remember long before that vogue was dug back up by the Hipsters and cashed in on by the factory. But without the thousands necessary to buy the real-deal; I did ponder quite significantly 'Flat-Tracking' a then reletively cheap 883 sportster.

In this company of off-beat, wacked out, DAFT OY-DEE-UZ, that occassionally strike me then... the appeal of a Vespa 200 keeps returning to haunt me!

I mean.. they SHOULDN'T WORK!!! There wheels are too small! the engine, is just in totally the wrong place! They defy all that is holy in the design of powered two wheelers!!!

So, I STILL keep finding myself hankering for one, if only to satisfy my curiosity!!!

I spotted one a year or so back on e-bay with a SIDE-CAR!!!!

A SIDE-CAR!!! on a SCOOTAH! FFS!!!!!!!!!

Snowie had to gently close my lap-top screen, and lead me to a darkened room....... stuttering "B-B-B... skoota! with a SIDE-CAR!!!!" and gently stroke my forehead (at least that's what she told me caused teh bruise the following day!) until the madness subsided and my pay-pal account was out of the danger zone Laughing

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:40 - 04 Oct 2016    Post subject: Filtering! Reply with quote

The most fun I've had filtering was on my gs1200 adventure with the bins on each side. No wider than the bars, but every cager who saw it in the mirrors had a look of terror as I weaved past!
800gs was my favourite until I got this H701 enduro, it may be tall (and a little bit too tall at times.) However, sitting in traffic alongside any 4x4 and looking down on them is sooooooo satisfying!! 'Awwww bless, your Chelsea tractor makes you feel superior!'
But, 'best' bike for filtering, ..Apriia shiver 750 with akrapovics fitted. Light, flickable and just the right side of noisy to get you noticed!

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 04 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuter_Tim wrote:

Can Scalloping/cupping harm stability at low speeds as well as high?
I bought a new BT45 ...

But going at about 5-10mph it's a nightmare, never encountered it on a bike before, then 15mph+ I could let go of the bars n go straight.

The Bandit first gear does seem to be all or nothing though, I can get more stability with clutch feathering and redlining in second. Thinking

There were bridgestones (I think BT 010s ) on my bandit when I first got it, it tipped in faster than on the PR4s I have now. I complain a LOT about the PR4s feeling too stable.

Souns like you have an issue or two with the bike, if the fron tyre is badly cupped then this might be something to do with it, check also the headstock bearings fro any rock or notchiness.

Are you saying that the clutch feels grabby and hard to feather in first gear? I've not encountered this on the bandit, but that could be a sign of a worn clutch basket, or an oil that past changing or isn't particularly wet clutch friendly. Motul 5100 feels ok and I'm using it as that's what my local garage uses when the bike goes in there, I prefer the consistency of feel. However Shell AX7 and advance Ultra feel quite a bit better.

A further thought: is the rear preload jacked up high? Mine IS awful to ride it I've had the preload on 7 becasue pillion and luggage and then dash out unladen without dropping it back down, and I'm a heavy git, If you're skinny you may find this even worse. Measure from the spindle bolt to the indicator with the bike on the centrestand, and make the same measurement sat on the bike balancing with as little weight as possible on the ground. You want about 30mm difference, if there's less than that back of the preload. It's called static sag if you want to read up on it further.

From what you're saying I think there's something odd up with your bandit. Probably not major or expensive, but they shouldn't handle like that.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 04 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
Souns like you have an issue or two with the bike, if the fron tyre is badly cupped then this might be something to do with it, check also the headstock bearings fro any rock or notchiness.

Are you saying that the clutch feels grabby and hard to feather in first gear? I've not encountered this on the bandit, but that could be a sign of a worn clutch basket, or an oil that past changing or isn't particularly wet clutch friendly. Motul 5100 feels ok and I'm using it as that's what my local garage uses when the bike goes in there, I prefer the consistency of feel. However Shell AX7 and advance Ultra feel quite a bit better.

A further thought: is the rear preload jacked up high?

The clutch I can feather in stop start traffic for about 15 minutes, then due to how heavy the clutch feels, my arm/hand starts to strain. (I ride mostly 20/30 gridlocked roads)

It is harder to keep stable the longer I have to dis/re-engage the heavy clutch, so entirely possible the stability issues are as mentioned earlier, me tensing up (due to strain).
Plus I get the impression the weight is rather high up on this bike (but I've only ridden Scootehys, a CG125, a CB500, CBF500, CBF600 and the Bandit)

At 1500rpm (idle) letting the clutch out in first stalls it (from stationary) at 2000rpm+ in first it soon wants to fly off, then revs its tits off and wants second by say 15mph. (pushing it)
It seems like first gear is just useless for anything less than 10mph? (I'm running standard toothing)

Oil/filter I've changed a few times recently.
Rear settings i'll check in the morning cheers.

Possibly relevant noob point:
When I first bought the Bandit I had no conception of "prime"
I also had no idea if left on this overnight it drains the tank/overflows into the engine, the air box, down the breather hose etc.

I didn't start it with a crankcase full of petrol, but it did sit for a day before I noticed, slapped myself and drained it 3 times etc.
Should I possibly look for potential cylinder/spark/air filter issues? Thinking

Teflon-Mike wrote:

In moments of greater delusion that are the norm, I have many, seemingly 'good-ideas' that involve, 'daft' bikes...

I don't mind them looking daft, but it's about practicality to me.
My ideal ride would look like a Harley, ride like NOT a Harley, never rust, have the low cost of a scootehy, and the easy maintenance of a CG.
Sadly I don't think such a bike exists.

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:08 - 07 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CBR250 I have is much wider than the GSXR1000 that I used for commuting. If it was the same width as the GSXR and the handlebars were in a better position it would be a perfect commuter. The R3 certainly looks a lot narrower than the Honda counterparts and although it's a sportier position it looks more comfortable. Big downside to the R3 is that it's mega dollar and probably more nickable than the CBR. The GSXR was almost perfect, given the right commute it would be perfect. As long as you don't have to turn the handlebars to change lanes or do a u-turn it's great. It was very light and easily manoeuvrable, but the turning circle wouldn't allow you to snake to the front of multi-lane traffic, otherwise it was basically a maxi scooter. Stay in 2nd/3rd gear all day. It was however expensive and therefore I wouldn't be leaving it London except in a private underground car park.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 07 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

gpz500 is great for filtering work. i removed one of my mirrors as they're annoyingly car mirror height but it's great Thumbs Up

i filter the same on the thundercat though.. so i think any bike without panniers would probably be the same.. just a bit tricky if its super heavy.

if the front of the bike fits the gap, the rest will follow Thumbs Up

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:02 - 08 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

Yes I'll get hand cramp after 15 minutes of traffic, but I'm finding the bandit clutch comparatively light. I've got M.E., so I kind of expect body parts to start complaining after repetitive exertion and I'd expect a fit and well person to fare significantly better. The bandit has been quite kind to me. Interestingly, the mk1 with 40k on the clocks that i tried had a lighter clutch than this one, but not dramatically so.

Check your clutch cable and the mechanism behind the sprocket cover is free running. The inside of the sprocket cover can get gummed up with thick chain spray which can make the mechanism a bit stiff. Mine was better after a clean, and the sccottoiler is both preventing buildups and removing buildups from places I couldn't be bothered to clean.

If you've soaked a paper air filter with petrol with the prime fail then it may have closed up a bit but should be ok, similar paper is used for fuel filters. Plugs will have dried out. How many miles are on your bandit? Mine was barely run in when I got it, and I'm approaching my second big service now. I'd be pointing a finger at wandering valve clearances, throttle bodies in need of balancing if it's got a few miles on it and this has never been looked at.

Having discussed this in two threads I've been paying attention to how I'm doing slow riding, and I'm giving it anywhere up to 4000 rpm whilst slipping the clutch in first, surprised actually that it spends more time between 2000 and 3000 in first than the 4000 I initially thought. If im riding gently I'll find second at about 15mph, which is not quite clutch fully out at 4000 rpm. Very rarely am I riding clutch out in first unless I'm being really obnoxious. I suspect mine is geared short.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:26 - 08 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you enjoy riding, don't commute every day on your bike for several years. There is a fair chance you won't enjoy riding after that.

A maxi scoot has better weather protection than pretty much any other bike barring the most opulent grand tourers, are easy to ride and don't need crap like tank bags and panniers to lash your sandwiches etc in. A burgman 400 etc will cruise at 80.

nitrosurf
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:41 - 08 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have real actual fun filtering on the ST4. The GS125 was like riding a bicycle through traffic, but had zero presence. The Ducati in 1st with the clutch kadagadagaering away with its bright red paint seems to make people pay a bit more attention. Not everyone mind you, lots of folk are still d**ks. I don't find gaps an issue as she's very stable at low speeds. Sustained bouts of traffic boxing does admittedly end up with a bit of left wrist pins and needles, but conversely I have a noticeably stronger grip since getting the Duc *insert fapping joke here*.

Practise = confidence, confidence = qapla.

A big single super moto would probably be the ideal heavy traffic weapon, but any bike can be made to crawl.

🏍

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:08 - 08 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
If you enjoy riding, don't commute every day on your bike for several years. There is a fair chance you won't enjoy riding after that.

Insightful, but...

temeluchus wrote:
burgman

Killed my enjoyment of riding in a few months.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:46 - 08 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my riding's commuting and I still enjoy it. Not everyday obviously but overall and given the alternatives (public transport or cycling) it's the most enjoyable way to get to work. I have found you develop an irrational hatred for particular roads though, it's probably a good idea to vary your route (something I do anyway due to traffic conditions etc.).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 199 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3