Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 08 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Killed my enjoyment of riding in a few months

You ride an Enfield so every one of your experiences are questionable.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 08 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I might have eventually found the perfect filtering bike.

I loved my old CBR600f, but to make it bearable I removed the mirrors. It ran hot in the summer but never let me down.

My VFR800 was piss poor - drank fuel, too heavy, boring, avoid like the plague.

My Diversion 900 was OK, but with necessary crash bars fitted it was quite wide at the bottom so squeezing between cars and traffic islands could be troublesome.

I liked filtering on my Revere 600 but they're a bit long in the tooth these days.

Now, my (quite not standard) Fazer 600. I think I've found a bike that really meets my needs. It's narrow (particularly with rentals fitted), fantastic turning circle (better than any bike I've owned yet), light weight (a good bit less than 200kg wet), economical (45mpg absolute worst), very nippy off the mark (-2 front sprocket), loud enough to actually make a difference in traffic, stops better than my VFR with its combined brakes, and is an absolute hoot to ride.

It's the only bike I've ever owned that will honestly keep up with the courier scooters.

I will add one thing though. I love this bike for how well it filters, but on an average commute it really doesn't save me time, not much anyway (and I probably filter 10-15 miles each direction). What a good filtering bike saves me from is stress. I find it stressful struggling to get through traffic, riding something like a GS1200 would honestly be my idea of hell. Heavy, thirsty, wide! God no :sick:

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 08 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
Yes I'll get hand cramp after 15 minutes of traffic, but I'm finding the bandit clutch comparatively light. I've got M.E., so I kind of expect body parts to start complaining after repetitive exertion and I'd expect a fit and well person to fare significantly better. The bandit has been quite kind to me. Interestingly, the mk1 with 40k on the clocks that i tried had a lighter clutch than this one, but not dramatically so.

Check your clutch cable and the mechanism behind the sprocket cover is free running. The inside of the sprocket cover can get gummed up with thick chain spray which can make the mechanism a bit stiff. Mine was better after a clean, and the sccottoiler is both preventing buildups and removing buildups from places I couldn't be bothered to clean.

Plugs will have dried out. How many miles are on your bandit? Mine was barely run in when I got it, and I'm approaching my second big service now. I'd be pointing a finger at wandering valve clearances, throttle bodies in need of balancing if it's got a few miles on it and this has never been looked at.

I'm giving it anywhere up to 4000 rpm whilst slipping the clutch in first, surprised actually that it spends more time between 2000 and 3000 in first than the 4000 I initially thought. If im riding gently I'll find second at about 15mph, which is not quite clutch fully out at 4000 rpm. Very rarely am I riding clutch out in first unless I'm being really obnoxious. I suspect mine is geared short.

Hmmm, sounds much like my RPM experience of Bandit first gear.
Mines a '95 with about 14k on the clock.
Except for me first in those situations seems kinda jerky (not so bad as lurching really)
I guess first and foremost I should quadruple check for chain tension spots again.
Chain was "excessively tight" according to the mechanic when I bought it, don't know if ridden for long this tight. (and the rear bearings were shagged)
Yeah I took it to a mechanic without checking much as I wanted someone else to do the work for me, wanna fite'bout it?

I've got some spare new plugs so I'll change them next day off work. (Last I pulled them they looked fine according to the plug chart dealio)

temeluchus wrote:
If you enjoy riding, don't commute every day on your bike for several years. There is a fair chance you won't enjoy riding after that.

A maxi scoot has better weather protection than pretty much any other bike barring the most opulent grand tourers, are easy to ride and don't need crap like tank bags and panniers to lash your sandwiches etc in. A burgman 400 etc will cruise at 80.

Rogerborg wrote:
temeluchus wrote:
If you enjoy riding, don't commute every day on your bike for several years. There is a fair chance you won't enjoy riding after that.

Insightful, but...

temeluchus wrote:
burgman

Killed my enjoyment of riding in a few months.

No worries, I've hated our roads long before I sat on a bike, if the roads were empty I would only stop the bike to sleep and get petrol, as it stands i'll take comfort and reliability over performance/fun.
I like the look of the Burgman actually, but she seems a hefty beast as far as Scooters go.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 191 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3