Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Who's ridden to Italy?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Foxbuster
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:30 - 09 Oct 2016    Post subject: Who's ridden to Italy? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

After coming back from a memorable trip to Aragon, I'm planning a trip to Misano in 2018.

What I'm keen to find out, are, what are the best routes to take, ferry or Chunnel? Going to give ourselves 4 days to get there so should be plenty of time. Want to avoid motorways in France so thinking Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland?

Will be using booking.com to get digs as this worked great in Spain.

Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 10 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

We worked our way down to Como last year via Luxembourg, Germany, Lichtenstein, Switzerland. Some great roads with the Black Forest and Switzerland being amongst the best places I've ever ridden.

Watch out for the Swiss motorway vignette, it's a complete rip off.

Read -Matt-'s write up here if you want https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=305272

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:20 - 10 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: Who's ridden to Italy? Reply with quote

I did over night ferry to Holland -> Germany (Nurburging)-> Switzerland (Alpine roads) -> Italy ... then carried on along the coast to spain.

Did do motorways for good bits on the way as had a tight schedule.

Casper
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 10 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends where you stay. Hull to Rotterdam or Zeebrugge or further north you have Newcastle to north Holland (Ijmuiden). You can cross at Harwich as well to Holland but unsure if overnight like the others. I fancy Italy next year but taking the van and only giving myself 2 days. Three is plenty and four if you are on a pushbike.
Years ago i went on the bike and crossed Portsmouth to Le havre and took two days, one night to get to Austria. Unsure if true but someone said that Italy and Austria are starting to charge for some roads like Switzerland but a tad cheaper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 10 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casper wrote:
You can cross at Harwich as well to Holland but unsure if overnight like the others.

Yes, Harwich to Hook of Holland goes overnight. Leaves about 10pm and arrives early morning around 7am. It's on the superferries so a nice big boat with plenty of facilities and decent cabins. Prices are relatively cheap on a bike.

I do that crossing going over for BSB at Assen. It works really well because you have a beer in the bar, sleep through the crossing and have a full day ahead.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:41 - 10 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best route over or under the water depends on where you start from. From Scotland the best route for me is Newcastle to Ijmuiden. Personally I'd bomb down the Autobahns to Southern Germany and get to the good roads quickly (1 long day from the ferry). 4 days each way isn't that long if you're looking to take in some decent roads. Southern Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy and Slovenia all have some stunning roads. Once you're out of the Alps I'm not that sure there's a particularly scenic route to Misano. Others may know better? When we went in 2012 it was a mix of autostrada and non descript roads all the way to Rimini once we cleared the alps.

I would recommend staying in Cattolica, it's five minutes away from the circuit on the bike and there are plenty of bars and restaurants. As you'd expect the town turns yellow as race day approaches. A great atmosphere right in the heart of Rossi Country.

It's not the most spectator friendly place sitting baking in the sun on the grass banking but the Rossi factor sort of trumps everything Wink

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 11 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: Who's ridden to Italy? Reply with quote

Foxbuster wrote:
what are the best routes to take, ferry or Chunnel?

As everyone says, it depends where you're starting from.
Which is why putting your rough location on your profile helps you get relevant responses.
Or at least mention it in your post.

faffergotgunz
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:18 - 11 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not ridden yet in Europe but done a few camper van trips. To be honest you can't go wrong visiting anywhere in Switzerland, Austria and North Italy. Beautiful!

We normally go through Germany because we like sausages. Google 'Fussen' in Germany (Bavarian Alps). An auto route goes near to there via some passes to Austria and on to Italy.

Dolomite road in North Italy is spectacular.

Austria, look up Telfes I'm Stubital...stunning

Switzerland, pretty much anywhere in the South.

Have fun man!

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 11 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the way we went by car this year...
once you get near the Blackforest the roads start getting much better ...
... eatin a bratwurst meal lookin out from Konstanz onto the Bodensee was memorable..

https://goo.gl/maps/5htkVS3Cz2U2

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 11 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite a long way to Italy Sad

Perhaps we could eradicate those pesky, boring Low Countries from the map.
Idea Or maybe build some mountains on them.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:56 - 11 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

or maybe just crunch those miles in a Van wit the bike in the back... Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:07 - 11 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

or maybe just crunch those miles in a Van wit the bike in the back... Thumbs Up

Preferably with someone else driving so I can kip in the back with the bike. Are we there yet?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 11 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Are we there yet?

with the £ - € exchange rate the way its goin not sure if anyone will be headin that way at all next year..

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 11 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been to Italy twice now,the first was eleven years ago and this year.

The first time we went via ferry to Calais as it was the easiest at the time.We rode no motorways and generally headed due south through France and into Suise,then to Monte Carlo,along the coast road to Genoa before heading inland of Pisa to our friends wedding.
On the way home we rode almost directly north into Austria via the Brenner Pass and into southern Germany.
The French were the best at looking out for bikers,whereas the wop and kraut drivers never seemed to want to be behind a motorbike.I had the same situation this year around the Alps.

This year we used the Chunnel as I wanted to be making good progress as soon as possible.Due to the fuel strikes in France we went via smelly Belgium into Germany bouncing off the southern tip of Luxembourg.Then along the B500 from Baden-Baden (do this road if you can Thumbs Up ) and along the northern boundary of Suise into Austria and down the Brenner Pass.Breathtaking scenery.

But.The HEAT.As soon as we got onto the northern plains of Italy the temperature rose dramatically and it was easily 35c plus on a regular basis,so drink plenty of water Sun

Always have a 'Plan B'

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:27 - 11 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
Are we there yet?

with the £ - € exchange rate the way its goin not sure if anyone will be headin that way at all next year..

Well, I've still got 2 grand on a travel money card that I put on before the £ took a nosedive, so assuming I survive the boredom of another winter...

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:58 - 15 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use the North Sea ferries as I live in Yorkshire.

First night off the ferry is normally a few hours on the motorway and then an overnight in the Mosel Valley, Rhine Gorge (both via the Eifel region from Aachen past the Nurburgring) or Heidelburg

This sets you up for a nice run through the Black Forest to Switzerland. Somewhere like Lake Lucerne or Brienz sets you up nicely for a ride over the Susten/Grimsel/Furka passes before heading into Italy. I particularly like the Nufenenstrasse last year.

Coming back, I like to ride up the Romantic Road (B17) or B16 and then overnight in a lovely old town like Nordlingen o the particularly stunning Rothenburg ob der Tauer Cool

Photos of last years trip are here:

https://flickr.com/photos/96239791@N08/sets/72157656092856235

RodYork
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:17 - 28 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

spnorm wrote:

First night off the ferry is normally a few hours on the motorway and then an overnight in the Mosel Valley, Rhine Gorge (both via the Eifel region from Aachen past the Nurburgring) or Heidelburg

This sets you up for a nice run through the Black Forest to Switzerland. Somewhere like Lake Lucerne or Brienz sets you up nicely for a ride over the Susten/Grimsel/Furka passes before heading into Italy. I particularly like the Nufenenstrasse last year.

Coming back, I like to ride up the Romantic Road (B17) or B16 and then overnight in a lovely old town like Nordlingen o the particularly stunning Rothenburg ob der Tauer Cool

Cracking photographs...especially the "slag of England!" Wink

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:16 - 29 Dec 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

RodYork wrote:
spnorm wrote:

Cracking photographs...especially the "slag of England!" Wink

Apparently it reads "Battle for England", but I like your translation Razz

CliveFa
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:41 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Mugello Reply with quote

When I last rode to Mugello I started from Essex and used the Channel Tunnel.
Motorways down to Macon - Around a 540 mile day ride. Overnight in a good hotel with secure bike parking.
Through the Alps and Mont Blanc tunnel and on to Milan. Some great sights as it was summer.. Overnight stay again.
On to Bolgna past Ducati and Ferrari plants, down through the Dolomites to Florence, which is about 20 miles from the track. So just out of earshot.
Great place to stay, eat and enjoy the culture. Last time in 2011 in the main square a 105 piece orchestra practiced on the Friday evening and gave a magnificent free concert on the Saturday evening.

The racket at the track has to be experienced to be believed - they are just nuts about noise.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 03 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Mugello Reply with quote

CliveFa wrote:
When I last rode to Mugello I started from Essex and used the Channel Tunnel. Motorways down to Macon

Sounds horrific. Can't think of anything worse, or more soul destroying, than sitting all day on French toll roads and motorways for 400 plus miles.

I would rather take 2 days, avoid the motorways and tolls, hit up some of the more interesting roads and see some of the countryside.

CliveFa
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:22 - 04 Mar 2017    Post subject: Re: Mugello Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
CliveFa wrote:
When I last rode to Mugello I started from Essex and used the Channel Tunnel. Motorways down to Macon

Sounds horrific. Can't think of anything worse, or more soul destroying, than sitting all day on French toll roads and motorways for 400 plus miles.

I would rather take 2 days, avoid the motorways and tolls, hit up some of the more interesting roads and see some of the countryside.

Me and my mate both ran businesses and another couple of days on each journey, though desired, was not practical for us.

narkelion
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:35 - 02 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys!!

I'm new here. Smile

I just moved to London, but I'm from Rome. I rode in Italy for 6+ years and I kind of know all country by hand. Spent more than 100'000km there. Laughing

Feel free to ask whatever comes to yur minds!

JonWal
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:37 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spnorm, that museum place looks awesome.

Where is that? The Snow photos of the top of the mountain also?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:52 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

spnorm wrote:

Looking through those is really helping to fire me up for my own trip, and making me think a little more ambitiously (thanks, you're gonna cost me a fortune Laughing ).
Did you do a write-up anywhere of that trip?

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 21 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive always done the Tunnel to get on to the continent but I live in Kent and can be in France in a couple of hours. Overnight ferries are fine so long as you book a cabin and there is stuff to do on the crossing.

It really depends on your start point!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 342 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2