Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBT 'Passed' today

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

LeeW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:40 - 11 Oct 2016    Post subject: CBT 'Passed' today Reply with quote

Very Happy

First hurdle passed so to speak, instructor said you can fail it even though I was told different prior.

Me and the Mrs did it, pretty nervous considering never been on a 'bike' before.

We found the car park stuff tricky compared to actual road riding!

I was on a Honda Vision 110 and this Mrs on a Tomos 50cc which broke down at the end Laughing

Loved it but still don't think we'll get a big boy bike anytime soon If ever so please don't abuse us for sticking to a 125 Embarassed

We are looking to do the A1 test (don't laugh) purely so we don't have to retake the CBT every two years - £240 saved

Instructor didn't know about a A1 test Confused not sure If they wanted more ££ out of us.

All in all though we both enjoyed it.

I just wanted to share our thoughts.

Safe riding all Smile

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 11 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done!

Fun isn't it? Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 11 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:
Well done!

Fun isn't it? Cool

Cheers, yes it is although I know we'll be looked down upon from the 'proper' bikers.

Not really arsed though just don't fancy an R1 etc for me to kill myself on! besides only using it to commute to work really hence my reasoning above.

Quite happy with my thought process!

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 11 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats. Thumbs Up

I rode a 125 for a few years and managed to have quite a bit of fun on it.

If you only intend to use it for commuting purposes only, it makes perfect sense as they cost sod all to run. In fact, if the engine on my 125 hadn't shat itself and tried to kill me in the process, I'd have kept hold of it for the same reason and kept the er6f purely for fun and touring.

If you're going to do a test though, go for your full A licence would be my advice. You don't have to buy a big bike because of it but, if you decide you want to in the future, you're all licenced up and ready to go.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Vulusmaximus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:11 - 12 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: CBT 'Passed' today Reply with quote

LeeW wrote:
Very Happy

First hurdle passed so to speak, instructor said you can fail it even though I was told different prior.

Me and the Mrs did it, pretty nervous considering never been on a 'bike' before.

We found the car park stuff tricky compared to actual road riding!

I was on a Honda Vision 110 and this Mrs on a Tomos 50cc which broke down at the end Laughing

Loved it but still don't think we'll get a big boy bike anytime soon If ever so please don't abuse us for sticking to a 125 Embarassed

We are looking to do the A1 test (don't laugh) purely so we don't have to retake the CBT every two years - £240 saved

Instructor didn't know about a A1 test Confused not sure If they wanted more ££ out of us.

All in all though we both enjoyed it.

I just wanted to share our thoughts.

Safe riding all Smile

Congrats on the CBT. Did mine a few weeks back. Decided to go the whole hog and do the DAS, starting the training on Thursday.

What sort of 125 do you fancy ? Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:12 - 12 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: CBT 'Passed' today Reply with quote

LeeW wrote:
instructor said you can fail it even though I was told different prior.
Congratulations.

You can fail in as much as they don't think your safe on the road and you have to do some more training before you go on the road

LeeW wrote:

So you want to save money by doing your A1 but you want to tie yourself to a max of 125cc which is by far the most expensive class of bike... Laughing

Instead of your A1, do your DAS and then you can buy/ride whatever bike comes up as a cheap deal. If a 250 comes up on a chap deal in a few years but your stuck with a more expensive 125 because of your licence then you'll be really annoyed with yourself.

IMO a 250 is easier to ride than a 125. But as you only want a commuter bike then a 125 at the right price can make sense.... but at the wrong price it doesn't make sense however it'll be your only option!
Really the cost difference between the 2 licences makes doing the DAS instead of an A1 a 'no brainer' even if you never get near a 400cc+ bike again.

Last edited by Alpineandy on 10:56 - 12 Oct 2016; edited 1 time in total

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 04:38 - 12 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBT is your first lesson. well done. From here to a full licence is where the first chunk of learning happens, and you have two roads to choose from; School or School of Hard Knocks.

WARNING: If you 'think' you are ready to start commuting to work every day by bike.... think twice.

ALL that is asked of you to pass the full licence test, is to show you can ride across town, maintaining full control of the vehicle; obeying all relevent road laws, road markings and speed limits, and neither cause hazard to other traffic or hurt any one in the process.... ie; do a typical 'daily commuter run' safely and legally.

To wit; IF you think you are ready for the daily commute after the first lesson of CBT.. you aught to be ready to pass the full licence tests... If you DON'T think you are ready to pass tests, then... DON'T commute!

CBT & L's and going it alone, the school of hard-knocks, is exactly that, and it doesn't really teach you how to ride, certainly doesn't teach you how to ride well, in any hurry. All it does is punish you for your mistakes, and encourage you to not make so many... or as is too often the case, just how many mistakes you can 'get away with'. It isn't necessarily the 'best' way to learn to ride a motorbike;

BUT if you go that route, even more reason to NOT try doing that 'early learning' in the cut and thrust of daily commuter grind; city traffic densely packed with 'hazards'. Do it round the houses on quiet suburban streets, at times folk aren't backing on and off driveways or shoving prams into the road! Work from there onto more major roads, again at quiet times of traffic, then out into the quiet country roads to find your 'seat' and get comfy and familiar with riding, with the least mobile hazards around to give you too much to deal with too soon, and not so complex traffic systems to deal with. Work 'up' to the more involved roads and traffic, long before you try diving in the deep end of that commuter chaos!

When you are ready for that? Well, you can try it if you have the confidence, but, if you have that confidence, you really aught not be far off test standard.... so don't do it as the be all and end all, do it as teh last 'lesson' before booking tests.

L-Plates if for practicing for tests, not getting to work every day avoiding doing them. AND, if you get out relatively often, no real reason you cant get yourself practiced enough and confident enough to be test ready within a few weeks... you do NOT need to spend forever going it alone, riding round the houses to get to test standard; and in all liklihood any more than a few weeks, you wont be getting any better any way, just more blase!

If you go that route; I'd advice you get your M/C theory test booked ASAP, as that gives you a clear run for the practicals; and book a Mod 1, for a couple of weeks after you have started 'practice' on your own bike on the road. That Mod 1 test only costs £15, and its a good 'check' on your progress; and if you fail it? well, it's a cheap 'lesson', you'll get hints and tips from the examiner what you need brush up on, and practice more.

Soon as you have Mod 1 in the bag, book a Mod 2. These are more expensive; err... £75. You can take it on your own 125, and it's just that similated daily commute. Again, if you fail, examiner will send you away with some homework to brush up and practice. It's an expensive lesson, if you fail, but, it's check on what you might be doing wrong, and going it alone where else you going to get that?

Economically, it can be cheaper to get a licence, than training, provided you don't have to repeat tests too many times; on which topic, its a HELL of a lot cheaper failing self booked A1 tests than it is school booked DAS tests, with the cost of test lessons and bike hire hanging on them.

But, you only get the licence, and an A1 125 'only' licence at that, for the effort; you don't get the 'lesson learning', that if you do a course or lessons up front, can teach you to do a lot more 'right' right at the start, and save you having to suffer so many 'hard knocks' in the go it alone school of 'em, and give you the benefit of more learning outside the range of experience you get in your self teaching learn by doing.

On that score, it may be well worth considering a 'course', and perhaps even getting the full 'ride what you like' licence up front, before you get a commuter bike.

Courses are costly; and if you only value that by the licence it lets you have and the size of bike you can ride on it, you are to some degree missing the point.

Point is to teach you to ride; safely and competantly, and SAVE you having to learn by hard knocks..... in that, believe me, they can be worth every penny... trouble is we cant count the costs of crashes we don't have.....

So ponder the economics of a pretty typical and minor 'Newby spill'; One that comes up fairly often, "I was going round a roundabout, and the bike 'Just' went out from under me! I was only doing 20mph!!!" rider gets up; dusts themselves down; no major harm done, apart from a bit of embaressement. But, picking the bike up, the handlebars are skew, the brake lever's broken, and the chrome on the exhaust a bit skuffed up, and maybe a bit of skuffing on the 'My First riding Outfit'... nothing to stop you getting back on and riding home. Costs though? maybe just £10 for a new brake lever is all you need 'spend'; few minutes with the spanners can loosen off and straighten the handlebars, and bit of time with the stainless steel sink polish can take worst scratches off the exhaust. Not too expensive really...could be worse, might have broken your visor off your helmet, and bent the handlebars.. you might only have to spend £5o or so.. but full cost will be in how it takes off the bikes re sale value, and how much sooner you will have to replace that crash hat and the jacket or waterproofs... NOW, the costs, perhaps still only £1oo or so.. are starting to make a course that 'might' and, it is only a 'might', no grantees in this game; but 'might' have saved that spill, and however many others look a LOT more 'value'.

And it might be something seemingly trivial, an apparently throw away remark an instructor makes that is the 'nugget' to avoiding such spills; so listen up and pay attention on lessons; its those apparently insignificant tips that are most likely to make the difference and offer the 'value' than the test tips that might help you get a licence.

BUT.. point is, a £5oo course, on that sort of reckoning only has to save you a few pretty insignificant Going It alone 'hard knock' lessons, or one more significant one, to actually pay for itself.

And, with a full Ride What You Like licence gained for it.. guess what? You can ride What You LIKE! Doesn't HAVE to be an R1 rocket ship, or a Turbo Busa Ninja Blade; you can STILL ride a tiddler on it! {I do!} IF that's what you want, and ecconomy is worth more than performance to you...

AND, little heads up on that one; IF eccconomy is more important than performance; there are planty of 'Big tiddlers'; lightweight machines that are just as 'cheap' and in many ways often cheaper, than 125cc Learner Legals, that are that cheap, simply because they AREN'T 'Learner' bikes.

About THE most miser miling motorcycle you can get is probably a Honda Benly. most common capacity is 2oocc, and it boasts a wopping 15bhp for it! If it wasn't for the size of teh cylinders it would be 'Learner-Legal'.. but it isn't. So they are cheap. Folk with licences to ride them tend not to want them; folk with licences to ride them, also tend to be more experiences AND not so bothered about 'performance' so they tend not to crash them either; which means that insurance companies don't get so many claims against them, and so offer premiums lower even than for 125's. Road tax is a couple of quid a year extra, but other than that, they have 125 like performance, with added 'grunt' from more torquey larger engine, and return as good or sometimes better MPG whilst wearing out consumables and demanding servicing and maintenance at a similar sort of rate.

Not the only big tiddler, others about with more or less the same advantages, but the point is, that the full ride what you like licence is the passport to whatever you might want from motorcycling; and if ecconomy is your priority, the 'big bike licence' can offer you as much more of that as it might acceleration and speed!

AND doing a course you get that learning up front, to save hard knocks and learn to do the right stuff right at the start....

Lessons is for LIFE not just LICENCES.....

But those are your two routes. Go it alone; or get lessons. If you go it alone; get them tests in teh diary or plan to get them in the diary as soon as, and dont dive in teh deep end with teh daily commute and get your hard knocks in rush hour! it is really NOT the best place to be having a little bike just flip out from under you on a roundabout! If you get lessons? May seem expoensive, but value is there IF you can apreciate what they are trying to do for you, AND, no one says you have to get a megabike at the end of it, and RWYL licence you get can just as easily offer even more ecconomical commuter motorcycling than CBT & L's or a hard knocks route to an A1 licence.

Muddling in the middle? Possible to get a 125 and go it 'part' alone. no reason you cant book lessons whilst using CBT & L's to practice what you learn on lessons; IF you can find a school that will offer more car style, small and frequent lessons, rather than block courses; which can be a very efficient way to get a lot of learning; only paying for the learning on lessons, and not paying any one to watch you wobble whilst you practice. And you can then choose whether to do A1 or RWYL 'A' tests, and maybe even do both; do A1 self booked on your own 125, as a stepping stone; prove you can pass them and not spend too much money to do it; then use a school to do the RWYL 'A' tests on a DAS bike; with minimal further training, to get familiar with it, and high confidence you wont have expensive repeat fees to find, having proved you can pass tests once over on smaller bike. They are the same tests BTW, only difference in them IS the size of bike you do'em on.

But some food for thunks; Congrats on the DL196, and seeing beyond the L-Plates and planning a licence; get on and enjoy!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:48 - 12 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on completing your CBT to a satisfactory standard. Wink

If your instructor didn't know about A1, I wouldn't be in a rush to give him another penny. You can pass A1 on your own 125 without any further training - loads of us did so back when it automagically upgraded to a full license.

If you're not in a hurry to upgrade, then it does make some sense to do so. £23 theory + £15.50 mod 1 + £75 mod 2 and you're done and dusted. Once you've proved that you can do it the hard way on a 125, you'll be able to ace it easily on a full A bike, and should only need some familiarisation with it. It's even conceivable that you could buy a 600+ bike and DIY it rather than going via a training school.

Anyway, enjoy your time on a 125. They're fun bikes, just be aware that everything gets so much easier when you get on something bigger.

LeeW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:53 - 12 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the replies.

@Teflon-Mike enjoyed reading that... just finished Laughing no seriously very good read pal.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 12 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeW wrote:
@Teflon-Mike enjoyed reading that... just finished Laughing no seriously very good read pal.

Don't encourage him.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:20 - 12 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
LeeW wrote:

Don't encourage him.

Seriously. Gonnae no.

LeeW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 12 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha Laughing

For a noob like me it was a great read Thumbs Up

Flatbadger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 12 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on the same 125 since I joined here - I do like looking at bigger bikes but there's always something; a pain at low speeds, bad fuel economy, too fat to filter etc. and I think 'I'll just stick with my BMX 125' Cool

Well done on the CBT - I tried DAS but didn't have the U-turn confidence with a big bike, I just did the Mod 2 test on my 125. Luckily it was before the law changed (11 days before) so I can ride any bike now. Sorry you're not in the same position.

LeeW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:22 - 12 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatbadger wrote:
I've been on the same 125 since I joined here - I do like looking at bigger bikes but there's always something; a pain at low speeds, bad fuel economy, too fat to filter etc. and I think 'I'll just stick with my BMX 125' Cool

Well done on the CBT - I tried DAS but didn't have the U-turn confidence with a big bike, I just did the Mod 2 test on my 125. Luckily it was before the law changed (11 days before) so I can ride any bike now. Sorry you're not in the same position.

Cheers, good to know people do think like us and stick to tiddlers. Smile

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 12 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeW wrote:
Cheers, good to know people do think like us and stick to tiddlers

There are a few people that enjoy the pain of riding a 125 but most try something a little bigger and realise what a pain the tiddlers are.
If a 125 is really your best option for a short commute then you're probably better off with a little lady bike... I mean with a little scooter.

Really, I fully appreciate the fun small bikes can be and would probably think back to some 175s and 250 for some real fun times I've had on a bike, but not a 125.
For safety, comfort and pretty much everything 125s are really poor. Fast enough to get you into bad situations but just that little bit too slow to get you out of those situations.

I guess the licencing thing was set up around 125 because no one in their right mind would stay at that level, so they knew everyone would go for their test Laughing

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's true and the idea of spending on a full 125 test is just bizarre when a full test is so close.

SophR so good
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:54 - 12 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

May as well hold off on doing your test, if you still like the 125 in 2 years then do the test just before your cbt runs out. The chances of you still liking the 125 after commuting on it for 2 years are pretty slim though and itd just be a waste of money to do A1 then A. After a year on the 125 I couldn't wait for something that could beat a civic off the line. Enjoy riding alone!

LeeW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:42 - 12 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough crowd but as expected Laughing

SophR so good, that is in my thoughts too I may just think what the hell when my two years on the cbt are coming up and go for it, who knows time will tell.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 12 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeW wrote:
Tough crowd

I'm pretty certain everyone congratulated you on passing.
The fact that it sounded like you were ignoring most of the advice you've received in here doesn't make it a tough crowd.
Putting it off for a while is understandable, but spending on a 125 full test isn't.

LeeW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 12 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
LeeW wrote:
Tough crowd

I'm pretty certain everyone congratulated you on passing.
The fact that it sounded like you were ignoring most of the advice you've received in here doesn't make it a tough crowd.
Putting it off for a while is understandable, but spending on a 125 full test isn't.

Chill sweet cheeks, only said in jest and I fully acknowledged people congratulating us.

No idea where you get the I've ignored the advice given either but never mind.

Cheers all, off to test ride loads of 125's to take my test on :lol:

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 12 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: CBT 'Passed' today Reply with quote

LeeW wrote:

Don't worry, they all do that sir - women are emotional creatures.

Oh welcome to BCF, pics of the Mrs is mandatory. Twisted Evil

Do you already drive a car? If so just go for it on the roads, but beware skinny tyres on a 125 aren't the best in the wet.

If not already experienced on the road then get some confidence in a quieter area. One day you will need to grab the bull by the horns though, most car drivers believe it or not aren't out to kill you, just out to maim you a little.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 12 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeW wrote:

Well sugar tits, have a look back at all the advice you've received on here and you'll see many have said that you should do your DAS, although many understand you may not want to do it straight away.
But you come up with the brainwave idea of doing your full 125 licence (implied as) straight away instead...
That's probably where it comes from. Rolling Eyes

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 01:40 - 13 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatbadger wrote:

Excuses excuses excuses!

Ever watched a courier wind a Pan-Euro or GT750 or old polaris barn door equipped maggot through city snarl!!!

Standard handlebars are approx 26" wide, they dont care whether they are fitted to a 50cc moped or 500cc commuter twin or a 1500cc muscle bike. The displacement of the engine is almost utterly independent of the physical size of the bike.

Low speed manageability/maneuverability likewise. Heavier bikes tend to have more inherent stability that means they are less prone to wobble at lower speeds and can therefore actually be easier to manage at slower speeds, and it's more influenced beyond that by weight distribution, ergonomics and geometry than anything else.

Fuel economy? Err.... might have to give you that one; though again, can be nebulous; I usually get far better than the book suggested 50mpg from the Seven-Fifty, 'cos I dont feel the need to thrash it all too much; the 125's? I feel compelled to thrash just to make progress! then out of town, I will tend to be riding one expressly TO thrash it for fun... and so not return best MPG. Again, correlation between engine displacement and economy is at best tenuous, and assumption bigger bikes must use more fuel is just that; more economy is found or lost in the riders right wrist than in the size of the piston!

But if you like your 125, GREAT, you don't have to make excuses for it! Especially ones that are so 'lame'. Be PROUD, man! Stand up, tell 'em. I LIKE MY 125!, don't apologize for the thing! You have no L-Plater, so no excuses needed.

OP & folk who still have to show an L-Plate, might need them; but even there's only one really that will wash, and that's "I haven't got a test date yet".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:46 - 13 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
LeeW wrote:

Well sugar tits, have a look back at all the advice you've received on here and you'll see many have said that you should do your DAS, although many understand you may not want to do it straight away.
But you come up with the brainwave idea of doing your full 125 licence (implied as) straight away instead...
That's probably where it comes from. Rolling Eyes

I know what people have wrote I can read and I know exactly where they are coming from.

You on your period matey Rolling Eyes you need a chill pill Pal.

I have been given some good/great advice on here and I thank you all for that.

Baby steps first baby steps Very Happy

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 13 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeW wrote:
You on your period matey
I guess you're looking for some one to 'sync' with.

LeeW wrote:
you need a chill pill Pal.
Just clarifying your comments and answering your questions

LeeW wrote:
I have been given some good/great advice on here and I thank you all for that.
You're Welcome.[/u]

Flatbadger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 13 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Excuses excuses excuses!

Not excuses, it's just a cost/benefit thing and I'm being pragmatic about it.

Thanks for your insight though, I have zero experience of bigger bikes on which to draw, so have to rely on 'newbie' logic and assumptions.

But I am proud to have a 125 too, and prove it by riding (the bike) through the streets of Brighton once a year, and threaten legal action against anyone who thinks different Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 168 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2