Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Triumphs new hipster bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:31 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Triumphs new hipster bike Reply with quote

It's the new triumph bobber, looks nice. Not really that many specs available apart from it's based on the T120.

https://www.bikeexif.com/new-triumph-bobber

https://i.imgur.com/f07FVvL.jpg

Last edited by TheSmiler on 00:45 - 20 Oct 2016; edited 1 time in total

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:37 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Not really my cup of tea but there's almost certainly a market for it. Surprised they've not done it before.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:01 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, quite nice but not my cup of tea. I expect they will sell well though. I do like the hardtail look frame I must admit.

Triumph seem to be carving out a niche for selling bikes to the sort of people who like customs but don't want Harleys, almost like the old Triumph days.

Will they even produce a sports bike soon?
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Mawsley
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:53 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope by the bucketful, there's too much off the shelf Kings Road tosser going on with this machine. Not me at all. I'm waiting till they target the provincial village idiot tosser demographic.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:43 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.motofire.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/triumph-bobber-motofire-2016-23.jpg

Mrs Bamt said she would be up for one of them. Which I guess makes it a girl's bike.

nitrosurf
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 06:47 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bobber by definition has less 'stuff' on it as it has been 'bobbed', so obviously this will be much cheaper than a base model...? 🤔

😂

It can't be a bobber anyway, as it was constructed to look like that.

Remember bobbed Range Rovers? I saw a bobbed Mark 1 Discovery once, that looked strange.

Anyway, back to the bike. If all this type of thing is doing so well I may hard tail my bit of eastern promise that's sat in the garage and earn a bit of casharooni from an aspirational hipster; they may be distinguished gentlemen by name but I bet a lot of them won't be able to afford this wee beastie from Trumpet...

🏍

carpe_diem
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 07:37 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could anyone who's sat on a hardtail with a seat like that tell me if they have any barse left? I can't help but imagine that riding through a city would result in a taint like that of a puerperal woman.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:52 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a bit like a Thunderbird Storm with no seat..

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/188253/_oth/tbs.png

carpe_diem wrote:
Could anyone who's sat on a hardtail with a seat like that tell me if they have any barse left? I can't help but imagine that riding through a city would result in a taint like that of a puerperal woman.

It's not a hardtail, there's a shock under the seat.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:29 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:

Exactly, it's entirely about the image, like the faux carbs and cooling fins.

Eh, I expect it'll be a better bike than a Harley Bob Street Sport Iron, so best of British luck to them.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:57 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some nice designs touches on it.

The frame looking hardtail but being soft. The exhausts are lovely for something that has a cat incorporated but whos going to keep them for long when you can fit straight through slash cuts Laughing

Yes, it will be bought by people for its image but I would suggest any bike in the retro/custom market is bought with a good eye for image.

And lets be honest, just about every bike is bought with image in mind to some extent. Ewan and Charlie wannabes don't buy BM's to go across Africa and how many R1 owners buy them because of Rossi? Other than commuters, most bikes are toys.

The more I look at that the more I think Triumph have nailed it. They are going to make a lot of dosh on that bike. Good luck to them Thumbs Up

mkjackary
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:08 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cycleworld.com/files/styles/large_1x_/public/images/2016/10/cw1016-2017-triumph-bonneville-bobber-first-look-image-02.jpg

Ride by wire, abs, traction control, riding modes, and no doubt a billion customisation options. (That will cost a fair penny)

carpe_diem
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:13 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:

I am shocked by their subterfuge there.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:19 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkjackary wrote:
https://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cycleworld.com/files/styles/large_1x_/public/images/2016/10/cw1016-2017-triumph-bonneville-bobber-first-look-image-02.jpg

Ride by wire, abs, traction control, riding modes, and no doubt a billion customisation options. (That will cost a fair penny)

Factory ape hangers Laughing

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpe_diem wrote:
ScaredyCat wrote:

I am shocked by their subterfuge there.

Hope it doesn't dampen your enthusiasm for the bike.

carpe_diem
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:09 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:

Hope it doesn't dampen your enthusiasm for the bike.

It did a bit, but I'm sure I'll spring back from it.

(in a more realistic sense, I think that bike is fucking horrible)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:29 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

nitrosurf wrote:
A bobber by definition has less 'stuff' on it as it has been 'bobbed', so obviously this will be much cheaper than a base model...?

I always thought it was because of what happens when you apply the brakes/close the throttle on a hardtail bike without a raked out front end.

Anyway, pretty authentic "Brit chopper" lines there. Tank would probably be at a bit more of an up angle. Exhuast should be following the linesd of the frame cradle and should be a peashooter/slash cut drag pipe, not cigar.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:58 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Producing competitive sports bikes unfortunately requires considerable investment.

They did really well with the 675 and that lasted them a good while.

Making aesthetic tweaks to an existing platform should be a hell of a lot cheaper all around and can often get a much better investment.

I can still see they might release a circa-800cc version of the 675, as Ducati is doing with the 899 etc - a usable road bike over a bike that'll win races.
Though not sure how well the lump will handle a good bit more power as the current 800s haven't really bumped that up I don't think.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll need to increase the 'Motorcycle' parking areas around Chelsea and Shoreditch before next summer... Cool

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:36 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

In B4 Vetter inspired X75 style bodykit.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks quite well finished and classy and should be a few century's better to ride than another crap stone age Harley model.

I don't have a problem with manufacturers trying to deliberately appeal to certain niche markets or ones that are not generally well regarded by the motorcycling gen pop.

I ain't anti bobber either, but I'd sooner see a home built one off hard tail with a really potent almost completely wasted potential engine like a ZZR 1200 or Fireblade lump instead. What I don't like with the new bike is that it has a style led single front disc brake, and yet is likely to be well over 200kg. Overbraking bikes has never done Yamaha any harm has it?

I think like G and others have said, that Triumph could do more and build some interesting and capable bikes using some of their existing stuff though. A Daytona 800 triple sounds like a good road bike. But also I reckon they could put the 675 engine into a light SM chassis and build a kind of KTM 690SM, but with a 3cyl 675 lump instead. They should also do a factory supercharged high performance Rocket 3 seeing as it seems to like a bit of boost from aftermarket conversions. There's probably room for a cut price 675 Street bike that's lower spec than a street triple, and more first bike like an XJ6 rival etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:51 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

In it's current setup my 675 track/race bike came out at 165kg with a little fuel.

A few bits lightened, but not much.

Have thought that chucking some long travel suspension, wider bars and enduro/supermoto wheels on it could be interesting.

Not far off the weight off a KTM690SM (the heavier one I don't think they do any more - the SMC is the one to have.)

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:27 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people forget that Triumph as the Hinkley brand is a relatively new (1988) and pretty small operation compared to any of the Japanese or even major European motorcycle manufacturers. They don't have the capacity to make legions of different bikes.

So basically they have the 675, 800, 1050 and 1215 triples and the 900 and 1200 twins plus the Rocket 3 engine and all the different variants using those base engines. (Have I missed any?)

They might have other styles of bikes on the drawing board such as G and Stevo suggest but I suspect they have to look at their capacity and decide which bikes are going to be their best earners.

I am quite amazed at their model range as it is and I can't see it getting bigger without a huge improvement in capacity and that is going to cost. As someone said in another thread, Triumph only make motorcycles, not cars, and ships and pianos as well.

I for one think they are doing pretty damn well. Thumbs Up

(they should be considering they have directly had £31000 pounds off me for bikes in the last 5 years Mr. Green )

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:43 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, I doubt my thoughts would come to fruition because in reality people want an 'adventure' bike with the quotes like the Triumph, rather than one that can do off-road decently.

So it's quite reasonable they go for what offers the best bang for the buck for them.

Even the Japs have barely developed the 600 class and have had to pour massive amounts of money into superbikes. (New R6 out, yes - but will it just be a tweaked 2007 R6 with a R1 electrics plugged in.)

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie

PostPosted: 21:56 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
So basically they have the 675, 800, 1050 and 1215 triples and the 900 and 1200 twins plus the Rocket 3 engine and all the different variants using those base engines. (Have I missed any?)

1600/1700 Thunderbird twin. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 188 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3