Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Triumphs new hipster bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:19 - 21 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The triumph bobber appeals to the same part of me that bought a virago. It looks nice. Not sure how I'd use one though, transporting more than a pint of milk and some coffee might be problematic so it's not a shopping cart. Same goes for carrying a change of clothes. No pillion seat either so there goes just about every use I have for a bike.

In fact the only use I'd have for one is tormenting my pillion who this week said she liked the virago best out of all the bikes I've owned or borrowed.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:41 - 21 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Visor down review informative........

The engine is housed in a brand-new frame, which is also joined by new suspension courtesy of new forks which features bespoke damping for this bike. Being a bobber, this is a hard tail bike although the adjustable floating seat sits on top of a cantiliever spring

https://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/triumph-reveals-new-bonneville-bobber

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:54 - 21 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Visordown review appears to be wrong - from Triumph's website (and I guess they should know)

Quote:

SWING CAGE AND SUSPENSION

There is a sublime black powder coated ‘cage’ swinging arm that brings the distinctive Bobber "hard-tail" look, fitted with paddock stand bobbin mounts.
The hidden monoshock rear suspension set-up under the floating seat, has been designed to deliver superior suspension performance and comfort.

https://images.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/media-library/images/bikes/my17%20classics/my17-bobber-18-swingcage-1-lf.jpg

nitrosurf
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 06:33 - 21 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
In B4 Vetter inspired X75 style bodykit.

https://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg555/jinlunchop/Mobile%20Uploads/triumph_x-75_hurricane_zpsfexfns2u.jpg

You had to say it didn't you... If someone were to take a 'modern-classic' Triumph and make it look like that I don't think I would winge too much...I remember reading about that bike in one of my dad's old motorcycle books; wanted it then, still do now...

🏍

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:22 - 21 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
The Visordown review appears to be wrong - from Triumph's website (and I guess they should know)

Was being sarcastic about Visordowns reporting. Wink

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:09 - 21 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
bamt wrote:

Bike press really are crap.

However, how is that monoshock even remotely hidden? If you can see it from dead side on, then from above eye level it's going to be fairly obvious isn't it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carpe_diem
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:31 - 21 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's a hardtail disguised to look like a monoshock disguised to look like a hardtail. Kind of like Inception, but for hipster-styled motorcycles.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:18 - 21 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

nitrosurf wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
In B4 Vetter inspired X75 style bodykit.

https://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg555/jinlunchop/Mobile%20Uploads/triumph_x-75_hurricane_zpsfexfns2u.jpg

You had to say it didn't you... If someone were to take a 'modern-classic' Triumph and make it look like that I don't think I would winge too much...I remember reading about that bike in one of my dad's old motorcycle books; wanted it then, still do now...

🏍

That is such a lovely clean design. It could have been the saviour of NVT.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:22 - 21 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
However, how is that monoshock even remotely hidden?

By the large rear end...

... of the rider.. Whistle

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:50 - 21 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
arry wrote:
However, how is that monoshock even remotely hidden?

By the large rear end...

... of the rider.. Whistle

It's a Triumph, not a Harley pal. Laughing

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:39 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triumph ave gone into hipster overload on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS2VZPYhHSY

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:10 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching their promo video, I thought "What they REALLY need is a fake kickstarter.... chicks dig kickstarters"*.
Of course, my idea is way too late Smile ... https://www.estmd.com/en/home/73-emd-electric-kick-sportster.html

*Actually have been told by a real-life female that I was extra-cool for the kickstarting on my RD350 when we left a party the morning after Smile.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

W650 has one from the factory...

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:28 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is actually a real kickstarter that turns the engine manually though, I believe - the SR400 is kickstart only too.

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:41 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: HOWEVER... Reply with quote

I've read it around here before and it still makes sense to me: For that kind of money why wouldn't you just buy a "normal" secondhand bike of your choice and then spend the money having it totally rebuilt and modified to YOUR own specifications? Buying a ready made bobber or chopper or whatever hipster bike is like wearing a mass produced T-shirt that says "I AM UNIQUE".

Yes I'm sure being a nice new Triumph it's all whistles and bells and probably very good indeed, but something about faux vintage design (Chrysler Pitty Cruiser anyone?) leaves me cold.

But I shouldn't talk, I've apparently got a "hipster" bike. Was told so about five years ago and have felt dirty ever since. Never mind I've owned it for over a quarter of a century.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:49 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: HOWEVER... Reply with quote

lingeringstink wrote:
Never mind I've owned it for over a quarter of a century.

Like ever good hipster, you "did it before it was popular".

(Nevermind that the concept of having a bike purely for it being 'unique' is the hipster ethos.)

So yes, we can presume those buying a mass produced one are a bit more watered down hipster... the sort that would buy an

I rode a hardtail bike yesterday. Was fun, actually... but wouldn't want to ride one on the road, where suspension is very useful.

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:25 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah now here's a funny thing- I've been riding THIS hardtail for over 20 years and wouldn't have it any other way. That's probably because after having sat arse on the same bike for a quarter of a century in every weather on every kind of surface I now know instinctively how it will act no matter what the road throws at me. Consequently I never come off it, and I am one of those weirdos that even rides in the snow and on icy roads.

But the biggest difference between my rather hastily cobbled up hardtail and most others, usually done for effect, is the riding position. I didn't MEAN to make a permanently hardtail bike, it just had leaky shocks and I was skint at MOT time, so knowing there wasn't anything in the MOT against struts I hastily cobbled up some struts out of old handlebars with the intention of getting new shocks later. But after going around on it like that and liking the stable way it handled, later never happened. So I've been riding around on temporarily cobbled up struts for decades now.

On my miserable bike I'm sat bent forward like I'm on the toilet reading the newspaper. Most other hardtails I ever see have the riding positioned usually bolt upright, possibly with apehangers as well, so the rider's spine takes a beating over every bump.

On mine I'm sort of bent in the middle and my back just flexes with the road bumps, and I do run low air pressure in the tyre too which helps a lot. This strangely enough makes for a really stable and comfortable ride even though it might look a bit silly. On long journeys I only ever stop for petrol, and I usually take the bumpy back roads anyway because they're more interesting. I've also got a very low centre of gravity. My bike is currently so low it will scrape the exhaust on a tight right hander if I'm not paying attention.

I never get back ache from riding, but everybody always says somethinmg about that when they see the bike. It's just EXPECTED to be an arse ache because it's a hardtail and all conventional wisdom (usually regurgitated by people who've never actually done it) says all hardtails are horrible to ride, which is why I almost never ever see any other hardtail on the road unless it's being riden to a bike rally for show. Consequently there are a fair lot of bikes designed to LOOK hardtail, but with hidden suspension, which to me seems kind of pointless and fake.

But I do agree in principle that MOST hardtail bikes are stupidy uncomfortable, but then most hardtail bikes these days are only fashion statements where looks are everything. A hardtail made for hipsters to pose about on is surely a miserable and false thing designed for the hipster look, and lately there's a LOT of stupid hipster design getting into everything.

Sadly I have even been acused of faking the rust on my bike in the past. I didn't even know there WAS such a thing a fake rust look until somebody said that. The mind boggles!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:47 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

On other bikes I've found similar - leant over is actually better for my back as then it's acting more like a hinge, rather than having the force transported straight up the spine.

Oh, the one(s) I was riding were made to be unstable not stable I'd say.
Certainly not made for traction at the rear.

I did come off three times. But twice were due to not using my foot to correct the instability and the other time due to running over a friend, who was lying down infront of me Exclamation.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:13 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Bike press really are crap.

However, how is that monoshock even remotely hidden? If you can see it from dead side on, then from above eye level it's going to be fairly obvious isn't it.

Yes they are crap, but VD is laughable.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:48 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chain on the right? Eh?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:51 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Chain on the right? Eh?

Aren't all modern Triumph twins like that?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:56 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they are; never paid attention before, it seems.
Bit silly!

Azoth
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:57 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

lingeringstink wrote:
Ah now here's a funny thing- I've been riding THIS hardtail for over 20 years and wouldn't have it any other way. That's probably because after having sat arse on the same bike for a quarter of a century in every weather on every kind of surface I now know instinctively how it will act no matter what the road throws at me. Consequently I never come off it, and I am one of those weirdos that even rides in the snow and on icy roads.

But the biggest difference between my rather hastily cobbled up hardtail and most others, usually done for effect, is the riding position. I didn't MEAN to make a permanently hardtail bike, it just had leaky shocks and I was skint at MOT time, so knowing there wasn't anything in the MOT against struts I hastily cobbled up some struts out of old handlebars with the intention of getting new shocks later. But after going around on it like that and liking the stable way it handled, later never happened.

Really interesting. I always thought about building a bobber, long before I ever rode a bike. In your case, you didn't mean to make a bobber, but you stuck some struts in just to get the bike through MOT, and, over time, grew to like it and concluded it was better this way. That's quite amazing.

How does it handle? Could you take a corner as fast as you could when you had rear shocks? Is there anything you have to do differently with a hardtail/bobber, for example rolling off the throttle if you hit a bump or lose traction?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:05 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get a better picture, you should probably establish what bike it is first, the tyres on it etc - further, it seems the previous state of the rear suspension was 'not good'.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:30 - 23 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

G, serious question. Why did you comment on the side the chain is? I can't see any reason for one side or the other.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 186 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3