Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motorcycle Or Scooter?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Charliemay165
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:16 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Motorcycle Or Scooter? Reply with quote

Okay so I currently have a Derbi Senda (geared) 50cc. I turn 17 in a couple of months and I am unsure whether to get a geared 125 or an auto. Sounds stupid right? Geared of course! Most of you will say... That's what I thought when I bought my Derbi. But things have changed now and I literally live next to my college and live a 5 minute ride away from where I work... As much as I would love to buy myself a fancy Honda CBR 125 or Yamaha equivalent I'm finding it really hard justifying why I should buying one. I intend on doing my A1 test so I can take the occasional passenger too. Getting a scooter would save me around £1000 as a decent scooter could cost me as little as 1k! Where as the CBR... around 2-2.5. Thoughts? Any good answers would be much appreciated. Cheers

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A decent bike will cost you as little as £1k. Why a Mattel CBR?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Charliemay165
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:32 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowdonia Rider wrote:
A decent bike will cost you as little as £1k. Why a Mattel CBR?

I am quite an image conscious guy so please do give me some examples? Also for about 1K I can get a 13/15 plate named brand scooter with under 10k miles...

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:00 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

auto or geared kinda depends what your future plans are bike wise.

If at some point your going to get a geared bike (passing test for big bike or just staying on a 125) i would think your gonna need to learn gears anyway.

changing gears is the one thing most bikers expect to have problems with for some reason, in truth not many do have problems at all.

You will be conscious of your gear changes for a few week, then over time wont even know your doing it, much like twisting the throttle.

Bike choice...
reliability is the main thing, you need to buy something that gives you least problems.
Most major bike manufacturers build solid bikes these days so new isnt a problem, used wise your just looking for a bike thats been looked after. If you can, take someone with you who knows bikes pretty well.
Also read up on them online, so you know common faults before viewing.

buy the style of bike that suits you, dont be swayed to buy a bike because someone else says cruisers/sports/tourers etc suck balls

Good luck though Smile

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

charliemay165 wrote:
I am quite an image conscious guy

If you're really that image conscious then why would you even consider a lady-bike (scooter)?
They're a decent bike if you only want something for a short 'in town' commute but image-wise, they're just a sign that you can't ride a proper bike.
No, just NO!

Charliemay165
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:27 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:

If you're really that image conscious then why would you even consider a lady-bike (scooter)?

It really depends on how you look at it. I think that scooters look rather smart in ways. Other than those chavvy little speedfights, zips, NRG's etc. I think I'll be looking into a cbf125 or similar. Scooter wise I think I'll be looking at the Honda PCX or Piaggio Typhoon.

Last edited by Charliemay165 on 21:28 - 20 Oct 2016; edited 1 time in total

carpe_diem
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:27 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
charliemay165 wrote:
I am quite an image conscious guy

They're a decent bike if you only want something for a short 'in town' commute but image-wise, they're just a sign that you can't ride a proper bike.
No, just NO!

Maybe 'I am quite an image conscious guy' is youth-speak for 'I am a keen and practicing homosexual'.

Charliemay165
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:29 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpe_diem wrote:

Maybe 'I am quite an image conscious guy' is youth-speak for 'I am a keen and practicing homosexual'.

Maybe this reply is a desperate cry out for attention because you yourself is actually gay? Mr. Green

carpe_diem
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:51 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

charliemay165 wrote:
carpe_diem wrote:

Maybe this reply is a desperate cry out for attention because you yourself is actually gay? Mr. Green

Wait, are you coming on to me?

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpe_diem wrote:

Ahh, OK, I understand now. That makes a lot more sense than thinking any scooter looks good 'image-wise'... Obviously excluding people that dress like a mod and ride an old lambretta 200!

Would walking round with a sign saying 'I can't ride a geared bike' have the same effect. It's what everyone will think.

Charliemay165
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:59 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:

Would walking round with a sign saying 'I can't ride a geared bike' have the same effect. It's what everyone will think.

Well, not exactly. Scooters are just convenient and rather comfy. I've ridden both. It really depends on ones opinion. I see now that I worded my original post wrong. What I meant to say was do I spend 1k and get a nice name branded scooter on a 14/15 plate or do I spend double to get a sports bike or supermoto style? Even though I wont be using it much at all other than a 5 minute commute to work 2 days a week.

EDIT- Also maybe the odd journey to relatives.

Last edited by Charliemay165 on 22:01 - 20 Oct 2016; edited 1 time in total

Charliemay165
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:59 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpe_diem wrote:

Wait, are you coming on to me?

Whatever makes you sleep at night bud Mr. Green

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

charliemay165 wrote:
Alpineandy wrote:

Well, not exactly. Scooters are just convenient and rather comfy. I've ridden both

It wouldn't matter if you could actually ride a geared bike, the 'image' is of a ped-boy that can't.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:05 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh, if you've no intention of taking your 2 wheeled exploits further than you are currently doing (ie; short 5 minute runs), then you are probably best sticking to a scooter, at least financially anyway.

However, getting a geared 125 would be best if you think you might want to up your game at some later date.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

charliemay165 wrote:
Scooters are just convenient and rather comfy.

So are my slippers but I wouldn't be seen out in them Wink

Charliemay165
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:08 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:
Tbh, if you've no intention of taking your 2 wheeled exploits further than you are currently doing (ie; short 5 minute runs), then you are probably best sticking to a scooter, at least financially anyway.

However, getting a geared 125 would be best if you think you might want to up your game at some later date.

Thanks for the advice, I do plan on doing my A2 then A test when I can. That's my problem, I really want to progress on motorcycles but when I'm only using it for a quick journey here and there I'm finding it difficult spending too much on one haha.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then why not just keep your current scoot to get you through the winter months?

Then, come spring time, go out and buy yourself a nice geared 125 and get your test done on it with the £££'s you've saved using the scoot. I'm sure that if you did this, you'll be wanting to go out for longer rides come the good weather.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Charliemay165
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:21 - 20 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:
Then why not just keep your current scoot to get you through the winter months?

Well there is that option... If only my current bike wasn't so goddamn unreliable Mr. Green I'm constantly worried it's going to break down and I won't know what to do with it. Besides it won't get through another MOT as the dash has given up... But that's what you get with an 8 year old bike that's been ragged around by 16 year olds it's whole life I guess lol.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 21 Oct 2016    Post subject: Re: Motorcycle Or Scooter? Reply with quote

charliemay165 wrote:
I literally live next to my college and live a 5 minute ride away from where I work...

charliemay165 wrote:

I really want to progress on motorcycles but when I'm only using it for a quick journey here

You don't have enough 'need' to justify either a bike or a scooter, so stop pretending it's a necessity and admit you're getting something because you want it.

Having said that, if you want a bike in the future, don't waste time with a scooter now.

Last edited by Alpineandy on 22:30 - 21 Oct 2016; edited 1 time in total

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:54 - 21 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

where are all these £1000 13-15 plate scooters then as I may need one again soon Shocked

if you want one buy one

if you want a bike get a bike

you can pick up a ybr for about 800 quid
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:46 - 21 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just my opinion, but I can't look at a scooter without instantly thinking either chav, learner who can't figure out gears or midlife crisis mod.

I had a café racer GN125 for my learner bike. Cost around £700, had 5 gears and I couldn't fault it. Always go for the geared option, especially if, as you claim, you're image conscious.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:56 - 21 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take. Geared all the way, it's easy to leave gears behind and go twist n go later. Harder the other way, also, applaud A1 but why buy a T n G then do A1. Do it on a manual.

Regarding bike, I'd say this. £1K is reasonable for a budget, BUT, although the plastic fantastic bikes look good, they look attractive to people that don't want to pay. Which will also make your insurance pricey. Buy an Almax chain and use it!

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 09:28 - 21 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much is your image worth to you? That's the bottom line.

Cost of a utility commuter like a YBR shouldn't be much if any different to a T&G if that's what you want, and you are likely to find the insurance is more favorable to either T&G or 'sporty-style' 125.

And that is rather pinnacle to the matter. IF you have such short journeys to make, what's wrong with a push bike? £100 in Halfrauds and no tax, no insurance, no MOT and no fuel needed!

Longer journeys to visit freinds/family? Savings would pay for a lot of bus fares, taxis or train tickets.... or add up in a savings account towards an A2 in two years time...

Back to top.. how much is your image worth to you?

Do you really need a motor-vehicle & associated risks & hassles and costs?

Do you really 'want' one? And if so, is the pleasure it's likely to deliver worth what you are likely to pay, compared to say, nights on the razz, or whatever else you may be into?

Back to the bottom line, ITS YOUR MONEY - ITS YOUR CALL!

But, FWIW, if you DO reckon it's worth it, AND you do have an eye to doing A2 when you are old enough, then I would strongly recommend, going for a geared commuter, and sod the style. Use it on L's as intended by L's to practice for tests, get training if you can, but PLAN to take the A1 tests. they only cost as much as a repeat CBT you would need to carry on riding a 125 until 19 and A2 eligible, anyway, and if you want to carry on riding 125's you never have to repeat CBT; Bikes come and go, but the licence is for life! And come 19, if you want to do A2, you are already a qualified rider; familiar with gears, you shouldn't need so much expensive training to get an A2 licence, and having passed tests once, passing them over on a bigger bike, shouldn't be such a biggie, and you aught have a lot more confidence of a pass, so its a big head start on the deal; and if you have been pottering about on a geared 50 for a few months, you already have a head start and 'really' shouldn't be far off test standard already, and aught not take much to get up to scratch and pass A1 on a geared 125.

And back to your image? How much better would ANYTHING look without the L-Plate on it? How much better still, would it look with a pretty little thing on the pillion? And how much more 'fun' would that be?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

onlyJaz
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:47 - 21 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a similar boat to you actually, struggling between getting an auto scooter or a geared bike and I think you've got some sound advice above by many of the guys Thumbs Up

My reasons:

My image consciousness didn't want me looking like a typical L-plate scooter rider (I figured other road users would be less forgiving). But that's where my image consciousness ended because end of the day, it's what you want that matters, and I wanted to get comfortable on gears. I went for a 2010 Yamaha YBR 125, I chose reliability over that "sports-bike" look. It had under 5k on the clock and I picked it up for just under £1.1k - so that could be something to consider if you're on a budget like I was?

Last edited by onlyJaz on 09:51 - 21 Oct 2016; edited 2 times in total

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:48 - 21 Oct 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, good on you for planning to do your A1 tests. Tef's seething inside that he can't deliver the usual rant. Thumbs UpWinkThumbs Up

There's a lot between a scooter and a CBR/YZF. Just for example, a used Sinnis Apache / Lexmoto / Pulse Adrenaline can be had for a grand. Yyou can scoop an XR125L or a Van Van 125 for that money. Heck, an older CBR125 can be had for a grand. You may even bag a Varadero if you're lucky and prepared.

Yes, scooters are more practical. They make good use of their power. But they are very dull to ride.

There's no right or wrong answer, but I wouldn't write off geared bikes just because you can't get a newish "sports" bike for your budget.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 182 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3